Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SNAKE BALL :yikes:

Piperboy

I've come across this twice growing up in the country.To see it is to believe it.
I was around 14 at the time and it was early spring in Southern Ontario.In the early spring we whould go out to spear northern pike in the drainage ditches as it was their spawning time.
The ditches are fed by field run-off and drain eventually in to the Detroit River.The spawn run only lasts a week or so .

This spring was an exceptional cold and very wet one.The fields were mostly flooded and the ditches were really running high at flood level.The morning was cold and foggy and it had rained all night.I decided to go out spearing and give it a shot anyways.I put my chest waders on and water proof parka, grabbed my spear and off I went.

I decided to hike to an area behind our home that was always a good area to spear pike . If all went good we whould have Pike for supper -I hoped.The fields were too flooded to cross so I stayed on a tractor path for about a mile or two. I then reached a small bridge and decided to cut across an area of field that hadn't been plowed in the fall.
The area was higher than most of the surrounding fields and was not flooded out. The field was covered in scrub weeds with open areas of dried out grasses which were lying flat from the winter snow which had melted away.

My boots felt like they weighed a ton each - covered in mud - it made for a very slow walk across this area. I noticed a garter snake in a dry weed, hanging in the branches. The more I walked, the more snakes I began to see. I decided, since I'm not too fond of them - to keep going, and get to my fishing area as soon as possible. I then realized that I was not the only one heading to the high ground. Fox snakes, corn snakes, black water snakes, and hundreds of Eastern garter snakes were heading the same way I was!

They seemed oblivious to my presence as they slithered across my boots. Then I saw something unbelievable! There was a ball the size of a large beach ball, moving slowly about. It was made up entirely of snakes. They were all entwined together, more approaching the ball from all directions!
To this day I guess I was fortunate to witness nature in all her glory! I watched this moving mass for about 5 minutes as it seemed to slowly move back and forth. I then beat a hasty retreat back the way I'd come and decided to pack the fishing in for the day!! The exact number I'll never know, but there had to be hundreds of snakes of all types and sizes!!

When I got home I went to the farmer next door and told my story. He told me due to the flooding and cold the snakes do this to keep warm and dry in early spring.
To see it is to believe it!!:thumbup: Jim

i know they ball up like that in breeding season and have seen it, but had no idea they would do it to get warm;)
Interesting story:thumbup:

I never did much with them, just caught them and eventually turned them loose but although I have heard of snake balls, I never saw one. I would love to though.

Interesting post buddy. I too used to spear pike in the spring. Those suckers would run up a culvert onto the local golf course, which flooded every spring. The cops would watch it but I don't remember anyone ever getting caught.

Good post:thumbup:

I have never been much interested in snakes and just try to avoid them as much as possible. Many snakes that I run across are big snakes with a big mouth that is capable of doing you some bodily harm. I hear tell that snakes are beneficial to the balance of nature and I have no problem with that...just would prefer they contribute to the balance of nature some where far, far away from me. Interesting story, thanks for posting it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

that is the way me and my buddies would do it if we could catch a sheep anyway :rofl:

THey Could Have been breeding wayne .I'am not sure but Nature can show us some special moments if were lucky .Thanks Jim:thumbup:

I have witnessed the same thing a time or two but it was always just garter snakes-never seen other snakes in the mix.Neat Story!

doesn't land on your shoulders one day when we're out detecting. Odds are it won't happen but then again I did find a "Roman coin" when we were out detecting that one time.:look: I wouldn't worry about it Jimbo......Rob's got your back !:thumbup::smoke: Great post !!

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-20088422.html

I have never heard of that...But I would sure like to one day.

Thank you for the story.

fair winds

M

try to treat you far better than you deserve and you are always picking poor old me.

Wait until this fat boy gets with reach of our Canadian friend. I hope he can swim:wiggle:

better half didn't see that, I'd still be trying to get her stopped.

Real interesting story Piper!

Dave