Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Snake at the gate

Jbird

Yep.....another snake story. But first, a little background.

During WW1, an army base named Camp Cody was established on the outskirts of Deming, NM. An auxilliary base for artillery training purposes was established about 10 miles straight north of the main base, out in raw open desert. This little artillery base had no permanent structures and the only thing remaining above ground is a cement slab a couple feet high where they had mounted an artillery piece. The base was closed down in 1918 so the desert has reclaimed its own with the normal greasewood, cactus, rabbitbush, mormon tea bushes, etc. The base is located about 200 yards off a gravel road and behind a cattle pen and watering tank and if you didnt know it was there, you would never find it except by chance. The thing I found really interesting about the place is that all its roadways, sidewalks, tent sites were still outlined with rocks. It is like someone drew a schematic diagram of the base with lines made of smaller rocks picked up from the desert floor. You can recognize, by its extra width, the main road as it made a slow curve thru the small base. Branching off from the main road are the "sidewalks" leading down thru the tent areas. You can just visualize how the tents were perfectly lined up in military fashion. At the doorway entrance to each tent site, two small "flower bed" shapes were there on each side of the doorway. In my mind, I can just imagine some old hardnosed Colonel insisting those poor old doughboys would plant and grow flowers in front of each tent site.

The roadway curved around the base of a small hill to what I figured was the base headquarters area because it had a small 4 foot circle outlined within a sort of larger circle. I could visualize the flag pole in the small circle and soldiers standing in the larger circle as they performed the raising and lowering flag ceremonies. Behind the flagpole area would have been the headquarters tents and behind that the officers tents, all diagramed with lines of rocks. A metal detector turned up lots of administrative stuff such as paper clips and those old dip type fountain pen points to kind of verify this area as headquarters and administrative area. The army operated on paperwork back then too you know.:)

That old artillery base was within about 2 miles of the Hidden Valley RV Ranch where I lived and was always a pleaseant place for me to spend an interesting hour or two metal detecting when I didnt wont to be too far from home. The top of the little hill there was a nice place to view the spectacular New Mexico sunsets from also.

Since I prowled all that area arond the RV ranch and got to know it pretty well, I somehow became known as a sort of "guide". It was a free service as I enjoyed meeting new folks and metal detecting with snowbird type treasure hunters as they traveled thru that part of NM.

I got a phone call from a guy named Frank one morning wonting to know if I would show him the little artillery base. He was bringing his girlfriend Betty. Now Betty had never been seen wearing nothing but shorts and a tanktop, I suggested to Frank that she dress for a little desert walking in blue jeans. It wasnt that Betty didnt look nice in shorts, really, really nice but blue jeans would be more practical.

Frank and Betty met me at the cattle pen. Betty got out of the car, gave me a defiant look, and informed me that she would do just fine in her shorts. And there she stood in her short shorts. And I had to admit that she did look fine. When Frank walked around to get his detector out of his car trunk, he was wearing his manly version of short shorts. A real modern couple. I just shrugged as I stood there in my old battered and scratched up jeans.

We opened the gate and started up a two rut road towards the base. Frank was expounding on the virtues of his shiny new metal detector. He stopped to point something out to me about his detector, stepping slightly out of the road with the back of his legs up against a little bush. I think they are called rabbit bushes. There was a rattlesnake coiled up in that bush, its head sticking out but thankfully not on Franks side of the bush. Betty saw the snake at the same time as I did and as she screamed I was grabbing at Frank and hollering "SNAKE!!" Franks reaction to my grabbing at him was to swing back at me, rapping me upside the head with the coil of his detector while stumbling back into the bush and snake. Frank and Betty were then doing a duet of screams while all I could think to do was to keep hollering "Snake!!" and trying to use my detector coil to seperate the snake from Franks legs as he stumbled clear of the bush.

In the meantime, Betty had rapidly regressed backwards without benefit of any navigational aids and pulled up short on a barbwire fence, still screaming. Frank had progressed from screaming to cussing. "I felt that slimy SOB on my legs", he yelled as he was trying to beat the rattlesnake to death with his cute little Tesoro metal detector.

Once Frank and I realized that Betty,s screams were dominating our little desert drama, we ran over and got her unhooked from the barbed wire fence. She stopped screaming and started making choking, quick sobbing sound. As I was trying to open the gate fence and hold her up with one hand at the same time I heard her gasping something that sounded like "ventimating". As we got thru the gate she started gasping for air and I plainly heard her gasping "Breathe in a bag, breathe in a bag!" We threw her in the car and slammed her door. Frank jerked open the rear door of his car and threw his thoroughly trashed but still cute little Tesoro detector into the rear seat while Betty had draped herself over into the rear seat area grabbing around and saying, "Frank, I need a bag to breath in, Frank I need a bag". Frank slammed the rear door and turned to yell some choice words at me something to the effect that I should have warned them about the snakes. Then they roared off in a trail of dust.

After reading how they reacted towards you, I think that was a fitting end to the story. Did you ever hear from them again ? Just curious.

he doesn't? :rofl:

Thanks for the history lesson and the trip in the desert!

I have been in the desert a little around Phoenix but it was in the winter. Few snakes then I am told.

What the heck are those cacti they call the Jumping Cactus? You get near the suckers and they will chase you down it seems

I sure enjoy sharing your experiences with you:thumbup:

Thats how I knew how cute Betty looked in them cute little short shorts.:) A few days after that little snake episode, I went over to the Lo-HI RV park where they were staying. I caught them sitting around in a big circle talking to lots of other people at "happy hour' time. On the way over there I stopped at a grocery store and got a paper bag and a plastic grocery bag and stuck them in my back pockets. I eased over where Frank was sitting and asked if we were still friends. He grinned and said yes but Betty snapped that I wasnt any friend of hers. I couldnt tell if she was joking or not but I told her I brought her a peace offering and handed her the paper sack. Then she laughed, grabbed the paper sack and jumped up and started beating me about the head and shoulders with it. I said wait, wait, and said I knew that she, being a modern type lady wouldnt like an old paper sack to breathe in and handed her the more modern plastic sack. After she beat on me some more, we called things even and were all friends again. She told me that Frank was still having nightmares, would wake up in the middle of the night kicking and yelling, kicking all the bed covers off, dreaming that that snake was wrapped around his legs. I could understand that, I cant stand snakes either.

They dont actually jump out to you but are so loosely attached to the mother plant that if you brush up against them, they will follow you wherever you go.:) My first prospecting trip: I drove from Louisiana out to Quartzite, AZ. The very first time I reached into that loose desert sand with my bare hand, hoping to come up with a nugget, all I got was a hand full of cholla cactus spines. They are really bad and the dirt for wide areas aroun the plants is loaded with those little spines. That almost ruined my whole trip. I learned the hard way why the old pro's use those fibreglass "nugget spoons" to dig in that stuff.

I suppose they had to vent their fear somewhere. It could've been a lot worse. Next time you see Betty short shorts, give her a hug for all of us.;)

I tried to stay away from those suckers

You have really been to some great historical places and I love your stories...especially when you add humor to them. Thanks for sharing this story with the Forum. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Seems like we all have snake stories. I am deathly afraid of snakes and thats why I didnt react very good when poor old Frank stepped up against that bush/snake. I should have stuck my detector coil between Frank and the snake and hollered JUMP instead of squalling SNAKE right in the poor mans face.:) Your first article about how mean and aggressive rattlesnakes get during real hot weather reminded me of when that happened out in the Prescott National Forrest. There was just a few water puddles left in Lynx Creek and I was going out there to pan one of those puddles. At one spot the trail up along the creek was about a foot wide at most with about a 3 foot drop on one side to the dry creek bed and vertical rocks up about head high on the other side. You almost had to brace your hand on those head high rocks to hold your balance in some places. I didnt think much about it on the way to the puddle but then I ran across 2 very agressive rattlesnakes guarding that mud puddle and realized what was going on, I started creeping back down the creek trail with my head swiveling in all directions. When I came to that part of the trail with the head high rocks, I looked at that part of the trail and chill bumps popped out all over me. I was visualizing me creeping along there and coming eye-ball to eye-ball with a rattlesnake laying on top of those rocks. Or reaching for a hand brace and coming up with a handfull of rattlesnake. And just to think that I had just walked that trail minutes before. GEEZZZZ!!! Didnt take me long to figger out a detour around that part of the trail and I stayed away from all mud puddles untill it came some heavy rains again.

Sounds like a couple of greenhorns! Good funny!

Dave

don't like snakes either! Poor ole Betty was really scared to hyperventilate! By the way, did you think she looked good in those short shorts?? :rofl:

And perhaps even gaiters. Man, some people think they know it all .. :)

I would love to get the chance to detect an army base. Ah well, perhaps one day :)

sunny skies

M

don't bother me at all, and we have some of the most venemous ones here. I have a friend who owns a diamond python and a boa, and I used to feed his python mice. But don't get me on the subject of spiders, especially the big, long legged gangly looking ones like the huntsman that does make a web, just jumps onto anything that moves within it's sights......I'm getting the heebees just thinking about it!
Angela:yikes: