Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Smartfind & Digital Mode Question

Travis

OK, I have a question that has arisen from the previos posts. I hope this does NOT start another flame war!:hot: LOL I have had my ExII since Oct. and still learning a great deal, but enjoying the process. My understanding from the manual and DVD is that (correct me if I am missunderstanding)the "smartfind" screen is a graphical representation of the two digit display in the "digital" screen. It is just those two numbers (ferrous & conductivity) laid out on grid style format. Is this correct, and if so, is there any benefits of one over the other aside from personal choice of information display. Thanks in advance for all serios replies. Cody, you are welcome to give me a post too, even one of your descriptive ones. LOL:super:

Hello, Travis. I've had my Ex II for a couple of years and I have never used the smartfind screen. Always use digital, but I think your interpretation is probably correct. I think possibly the benefit to using the smartfind screen is that you don't get locked in to certain numbers and that's why some prefer it. By using only the digital screen I may have passed over a target or two that was good. For instance, I don't like digging zinc pennies, they register 07 25 or thereabouts on the digital screen so depending on sound and the reading I usually don't bother digging these. I have dug numerous ones over the last two years and this detector is rarely wrong. I usually dig most everything else unless the ferrous content is really high. I will say one thing though that I recently read and that is the readings for square pulltabs, usually 09 09 could be really good targets and I often don't dig those either. I think I'm going to have to start paying a little more attention and maybe start learning to use the smartfind screen too. Now I don't claim to be an expert with this unit but I'm sure some others will help to educate both of us. I do think you're right about your interpretation though. Good luck.
Jerry

Travis,

Your understanding is correct. The two numbers on the digital screen are just the X and Y axis positiions of the cursor in the smart screen. Gives the exact same data. What you use is only a matter of personal preference.

Most people can comprehend data better when it is presented in a graphical form. I find that on many iffy signals, especially nickels, it is valuable to watch the smart screen and see how the crosshairs bounce. I doubt if I was just looking at a series of numbers I would be able to make a decision as easily. But then again I have the XS I and it is what I am used to.

Chris

How does it give more info other than the position on the grid (which is just an X - Y coordinate), and what additional info does it give? I am serious, as I want to really understand this.

Ive asked this ? before and got no real answers. I use digital and switch to smartfind to "confirm" iffy signals. I really like digital. Listen for a good sound first then look at the screen after you get a good sound.

I am by no means a pro but after a few months of using the EX II something just clicked. I started pulling good coins among trash. You will just learn to "hear thru" the bad sounds. It just clicked on one day. I would say try to listen to the sounds more than look display on screen. When i bought my Sunray 8" coil things really start clearing up.

I started with the digital screen and that's pretty much what I stick with although I do use smart find every now and then. I think the "additional information" is how the cursor moves on those "iffy" deep targets. It's a visual display of what you're seeing on the digital readout. For some, it's easier to see the "signature" of a probable good target by the way the cursor moves. I think it's personal preference though. If you go by sound, you can pick up a hint of something good way before you actually "see" it on the display.

I agree with both Stoopstroop and Joe.

I agree there is no additional info and also that there is the perception of additional info, insofar as how the cursor moves around. But since the digital is a numeric representation of the Smartfind, the numbers "move around" in the same way. And through careful scanning of the target and proper coil manipulation, you can get both the numbers and the cursor to average out and settle at something that reflects the composition of the target and ultimately leads you to the answer of the question "to dig or not to dig".

Like Joe, I started with the digital and like it. Like Stoop, I usually will switch to Smartfind to compare and to study how the graphic representation corresponds to the digital. Sometimes I even hunt in Smartfind, though I always switch to digital to check the numbers before digging. It's just a matter of preference if you ask me. The thing I like about the digital is being able to see the ferrous number, because for me, it makes it easier to discern between a minnieball and a zinc penny or a silver dime and a silver quarter. I'm sure that somebody who was equally comfortable with Smartfind could say exactly the same thing, which is why I bound between them...for the knowledge.

Here's a tip you may or may not know. When you set up your machine, you get to choose "Quick" or "Advanced" modes under "Options". The difference is some of the settings choices that you see. What I do is to set myself up in "Advanced", get everything the way I want it, and then set it to "Quick". That way when you go to detecting mode, you can switch quickly between Digital and Smartfind modes on the fly, simply by pressing the "Detect" touchpad. It makes it easier than having the press it four times to get through the Learn and Edit modes like you do if you have it in "Advanced".

you'll hear guys swear by both. I use digital all the time but my mind naturally works in numbers. use what works best for you!

I do not rely on either one. I listen to the tone and dig by the tones. The display can be way off. I have dug silver that read as Iron but sounded like silver. The Explorer is a great machine for depth but to me the Id leaves a lot to be desired. Trust your ears and forget about the display in most cases. If you are hunting shallow targets the display is OK but if the target is deep forget it.

whats nice about the explorer is you can use both . when i first got my explorer all i used were the numbers then as i got use to it and wanted to learn more i started out in smartfind and watched where the x was falling on different tones but over all i alway switch back and forth. its all part of the learning curve. ive had mine far years now and im just now trying to learn to hurt in ferrous mode. its a great detector with a ton of opinions to try.
stan pa.

sounds like the same to me stoop. i had to buy the x-5 to teach me how to pinpoint and i hunted with that coil for a long time till the x-8 came out but i learn a hellofalot with those small coils. i can pinpoint with the x-12 with my eyes closed. but you my last reffance will always be the digital response before i dig.
stan pa.

Hey, a bit off topic, but do you work for Ikon Business Machines??? LOL If so I used to work for Danka.

[quote swingingmydfx]I do not rely on either one. I listen to the tone and dig by the tones. The display can be way off. I have dug silver that read as Iron but sounded like silver. The Explorer is a great machine for depth but to me the Id leaves a lot to be desired. Trust your ears and forget about the display in most cases. If you are hunting shallow targets the display is OK but if the target is deep forget it.[/quote]

ARGH.
Tagamet the Deaf

I echo the comments in your post, 'swingyDFX' man.

The Explorer II is a deep metal locator, but as for identifying those deeper items, then it does not do so with equitable finesse.

Even tho I prefer to search using Ferrous Audio for the thin hammered silver, here in the UK, even this mode gives erroneous responses on large iron....As for using the Visuals, be it SMART or VDI, at depths they are very misleading if you're anticipating text book indications. That is why the experienced users open up the Iron mask into the low -14 or -16. THEN they dig ANYTHING that that doesn't fall into the top left hand corner of the screen...or show 28Fe 30Con

You could coin a phrase (excuse the pun)...To be successful...
You must first be a metal detectorist and not a metal rejectorist.

The bare facts are, that the 1.5 kHz fundamental, finds the 'thicker' items better than other detectors. That is simply a fact of physics. Couple that with the larger than average search-head, then that is no more than should be expected. The hype about the extra harmonics has been greatly overstated by Minelab. That they exist, is true, but their beneficial contribution diminishes exponentially to a point of little better than surface scratching.

Have you seen a spectra-graph of the harmonic output ?

Do you understand that the significance of having to share the power available, exponentially, between the 27 harmonics? (+ 1 fundamental).

All this is not a criticism, but rather expose' of basic facts.

The EXPII's search-coil is the finest example of a true broad-band coil that I've ever dissected.

Their innovative circuitry is very good.

Their application of techniques that exist in other field of electronics, to that of metal detecting, is to be commended.

Finally, to return to the matter of reliably identifying deep targets.

Well, here is the common sense reality...especially for the EXP.

"IF THE TARGET CANNOT BE PINPOINTED EASILY, THEN NETHER CAN IT BE IDENTIFIED WITH ANY ACCURACY....Common sense really.....MattR.UK.

Sorry about that Tagment you will need to dig any thing that sh-owes up on the screen to be sure you get it all. You may want to look into a Whites DFX as the smart find screen on it is much more accurate. You will loose some on the depth though.

Were gettin off topic a little. I agree that ALL the Target ID's (even WHITES I am told) are not absolute, and I understand and agree to that. What I am trying to confirm is whether or not the two display modes (Smartfind & Digital) are in fact the SAME info just represented in two different view styles and that one has no information advantage over the other. Thaks everyone for all the replies, the more input the better I (and WE) can understand this. It is my current belief that they show the exact same info (though displayed in different graphical ways), and Smartfind does not give any additional target info, and vice-versa. If I am missunderstanding this, please explain further. Thanks again to everyone.
Travis