Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Smartfind & Digital Display Mode

Travis

I have posted this forum on the Minelab Explorer forum, but it is getting off topic somewhat now. Now I agree that ALL the Target ID's (even WHITES I am told) are not absolute, especially with depth, and I understand and agree to that. What I am trying to confirm is whether or not the two display modes (Smartfind & Digital) are in fact the SAME info just represented in two different view styles (Graphical plot vs. Dual Numerical Display) and that one has no information advantage over the other. It is my current belief that they show the exact same info (though displayed in different ways), and Smartfind does not give any additional target info, and vice-versa. If I am missunderstanding this, please explain further. Cody, your insight is welcomed on this issue as well. LOL
Thanks,
Travis

A digital combination on the digital screen represents the grid location. If we plot a point using X/Y the digital reading represents where the crosshairs are when using Smartfind. I switch between the two screens at times but don't think an experienced user is going to gain or not based on which display is used. Although there is more information on the Smartfind screen I have no problem with just the digital screen and tones and don't believe there are any special reasons to use Smartfind.

"Although there is more information on the Smartfind screen"
That is what I keep hearing, but what additional information in on the Smartfind screen?
Thanks for your reply Cody. It was people like you that I read alot of posts about the ExII, and decided to go with Minelab.

You're right...you really CAN'T get a straight answer on this, can you? Even Cody sidestepped it. First he says the two are showing the same thing, then he says Smartfind has more info. I want to know what the "more info" is too.

Again,

Digital is just the xy location of the cross hairs in smartfind. Exact save info.

But imagine this scenario. You know where nickels hit, not sure what the digital numbers are. On the smartfind screen it is an area just above the bottom and about two thirds from the left. Nickels buried in iron trash tend to range from this "textbook" location but will often then rise in an arc towards the upper left corner from sweep to sweep. Junk tends to hit more randomly. If you can look at the digital numbers and plot this arc in your head... Well, I can't, and why would I when the machine will do it for me.

My gut feeling is that people who rely on the numbers, newbies especially, will say I will dig a 28,7 but not a 27, 7 or something similar. Because deeper targets, targets next to trash, etc. don't ID accurately (same reason tight patterns suck) you really need to watch for the pattern of how the signals bounce.

Chris

OK, that's better. And what I expected. Just didn't hear anybody saying it.

As for me, I will start hunting in digital most of the time and switch to Smartfind when I have a target, to see how the two compliment one another. And then I'll decide to dig. I also am keenly tuned into the tones, though this has not been much of a point of THIS discussion. But I take all three to decide to dig or not.

There are many ways to go with the Explorer. I usually know by the tone if I want to dig. But I also want to become adept at using ALL the info equally well and to learn the limitations of each.

Chris - You are right. I have been using digital for some time now. But I have learned you can't go by the text book. I dug a 1903 Barber dime yesterday that read 5-28 at about 6 inches, which is about as deep as you can expect to find coins in our heavily mineralized soil.

AK in KY

I agree with Chris, the two screens show the same info but I cannot, and doubt many can, plot the movement of the cursor as it sorts out or averages the reading to make a final target ID in my head from the info on my digital screen. The smartfind sceen clearly gives me a visual representation of this movement and that is the additional information I do not get in digital mode, not because it is not there, buy because my puny brain cannot process it fast enough in digital to be of any use. Personally, I hunt mostly in smartfind but always go to digital if the target looks good in smartfind.

OK, so THATS the "additional information" peeps are talking about. So, its the same, just easier to get a "ballpark" average out of the target as it jumps in smartfind. Thanks for the details guys. I will call this (long) topic concluded. LOL You with me Mike? LOL