Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Small items that go through scoop

pdunc

Any suggestions on how to get those small items such as earrings that go through the 5/8th inch holes of my scoop? Suggestions and pictures of solutions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I went to the hardware store and bought a fine screen (like a window or slightly bigger size) for 4 or 5 bucks and attached the screen to the bottom of my scoop with plastic zip ties that went through the holes on my scoop. You might have to play around with the size screen u use to get the drainage you want, depending on what type of dirt or clay or rocks your playing in :p. I don't have a digital camera or i would show you.

I had this one beach i went to last year that was littered with .22 caliber shells that kept giving me gold signals......You gotta clean out the junk if u want the gold.

matt

you also might try what i did i cut out a peace of wire mesh screen that had 3/8 holes in it and cut it so it fit the bottom of my scoop but cut the hole size in half by having the screen cover part of the hole and wire tied it also to the lower sides so the small stuff won't slide out that way
[attachment 72793 Housepictures019.jpg]

Get you some 1/4 inch hardware cloth at your local hardware store, Lowe's or Home Depot and cut it to fit in the bottom and sides of your scoop and fasten it in with the plastic electrical wires. I have been using it for years and it works great.

Huntress simply cuts a circle of the mesh wire and zipties it to the bottom of the scoop. The sand still drains out the side holes quickly, but it will keep you from wasting a great deal of time looking for a tiny target. A magnet is also ziptied in there too, to catch ferrous, when using the PI. OH, in case you are wondering, the handle is homemade 3014 stainless steel pipe and T. The whole unit weighs 11LBs. I am buff, LOL!

Ditto on the wire mesh. Works great for catching the small stuff.

One other note: The sand may take a bit more effort to screen out though. Even more noticable in shelly areas.

Thanks everyone. All the suggestions will be helpful. I think that I will make something out of wire mesh that is easily removable so that I can slip it into my scoop only when I have those cases where those small targets are eluding me. The rest of the time when I'm not actually using the mesh, I'm sure that I can rig up storage of the mesh by tying it to the handle of my scoop with a temporary tie. Most of our lake bottoms are somewhat rocky, so I will want to have the best drainage possible most of the time. And Gulf Hunter, 11 lb scoop! You must be rugged, or you only hunt for 15 minutes per outing! Please keep me posted on how you like that CZ-21 when you get it. If Fisher ever releases it that is!

the issue of small stuff getting thru your scoop. it also completely eliminates time spend looking for targets in the bottom of the scoop.

hh steve