Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SLQ, War Nickel, and GOLD!!!!! :hot:

Bob in SoMd

Had a lot of luck this week. Spent about an hour picking up pennies, not even wheaties. Then I wandered over to an old locust tree and poked around. Grass was a foot tall in places. Finally got a good silver signal and started diggin'. I was hoping for maybe a silver Washington and 6 inches down popped out a quarter with a silver rim - but NOT a Washington!! Only my 3rd Standing Liberty Quarter ever. Too bad there's no date but I LOVE any SLQ!

[attachment 170229 ImportedPhotos00004.jpg] [attachment 170230 ImportedPhotos00006.jpg] [attachment 170231 ImportedPhotos00008.jpg]

Then yesterday I went back to the same locust tree and went really slowly, digging anything that was close. Hit a solid 35-45 VDI at 5 inches and pulled out a 1944-P war nickel - my 5th one in a little over a month. Finally, I headed back to the car but on my way got a 40-50 signal at 4 inches that I decided to check out as my final dig (how many of these do I ROUTINELY pass up...). Glad I did cause 4 inches down I saw GOLD. Thought it was a tie clasp at first since only the skinny edge was visible. Then I saw the red stone. Reminded me of the Saxon Hoard in England!!! But no, it's a high school class ring from 1960 - you can see the elongated 6 and 0 on each side of the stone. 10K stamp inside. The device on top says "LINCOLN HS" and it has initials on each side of the ring - "J" and "C". The stone is just glass I think but still pretty neat. Did a search of rings online and this apparently was a standard style for class rings in the 50's and 60's.

I took it to a jeweler today to get it un-bent. I'll take another pic tomorrow if it looks good.

[attachment 170232 ImportedPhotos00011.jpg] [attachment 170234 ImportedPhotos00014.jpg] [attachment 170243 ImportedPhotos00021.jpg]

Thanks for looking and hope everyone has a great weekend!

Absolutly fantastic Bob, congratulations.

Thanks Larry,

I remember one of your posts this week saying you were concentrating on the low VDI numbers. Made me think and I've dug a few signals this week that I've passed up before. So thanks!

Great finds Bob! Just a few digs and look at what you came home with. The ring is very pretty. Can you see if there's a name on the inside? School? Etc.? Congrats on all your finds! HH, Nancy

Thanks Nancy,

There was some junk dug in between the good stuff!! Anyway, it's a high school ring. The device on the stone says "LINCOLN" and "HS" right below it. I was only able to barely see "10K" on the inside - tough angle for my loupe. I should be able to see anything else today when I pick it up. Pretty sure the letters on each side are initials "J" and "C". There's no Lincoln HS around here. Since this was a military housing site, this could have been from anywhere in the country.

I doubt you'll be able to find any info on the ring's previous owner with what's on the ring. It sure is a pretty one and a nice find. Keep up the great detecting Bob and HH, Nancy

Got the ring back from the jeweler. Looks pretty good. Sorry to make such a fuss but I don't find many of these.

[attachment 170328 ImportedPhotos00022.jpg][attachment 170329 ImportedPhotos00023.jpg][attachment 170330 ImportedPhotos00024.jpg][attachment 170331 ImportedPhotos00025.jpg]

Very nice ring . Congrats on a nice find . I have been hunting several years and have yet to find a class ring .

Harold

Thanks Bearharold - it's my first one.

Keep digging those 40-50 VDI's and I'm sure you'll score!

You have every right for this big hoopla! It is a big deal and a nice class ring made by Josten's. That's who made my classring back in the dark ages... :rolleyes: Very nice find! I love the color of the stone, I bet she was born in the month of July. ;)

Congrats on the SLQ and that beautiful ring [thumbsup] them MXT's just love that gold.

REALLY NICE JOB with the Quarter and REALLY NICE RING ! :clapping::clapping::beers: CCH

Good find and beauty of a ring Congrats !

thanks all. Have tried to find the owner but no luck yet. Pretty sure the ring is from Lincoln HS, Lincoln Nebraska, Class of 1960. For now, it looks pretty good in the display case!!!:thumbup:

It's always nice to hear that one gave it a shot on locating the original owner even if they couldn't find them. :cheers: All you can do is try. HH, Nancy