Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

skipping school

david(tx)

when i was about 13 and my brother just older than me was 17 we overslept on a school day,this was at a time when my mother worked outside the home for a couple of years at texas instruments in some type of assembley,and my dad worked second shift at LTV,which was a goverment defense contractor.

my brother was just starting a spell of rebellion,especially against my dad,he was smoking pot and this was at a time in texas when you would go to prison for a first offense for marijuana possession.it wouldn't be long before he quit school and run off from home,then join the army and head off to vietnam.

it was about 8 o'clock and my dad woke up and saw us still asleep,he stuck his head in the door and said get your asses out of bed and get to school,and you can just walk because i'm not haulin' you down there.

the junior high i went to was only about a 2 mile walk or so,but the high school was about another 3 miles.as we headed out down the street my brother said to hell with him we ain't going to school because i'm not walking that far.

he said we'll go down to wilson creek and hang out till daddy goes to work,the go home.well it didn't sound like such a good idea to me because i didn't want to get in trouble with my dad and i didn't want to go against my brother either.

wilson creek was a couple of miles down the railroad tracks from where we lived and a big metal tressel crossed it and we could hide out down there,but before you got to the metal tressel there was a smaller cresote covered timber tressel that went over a city street.

my brother had a pack of pall mall cigarettes and i hadn't been smoking long so those non filters would burn the hair off my lungs.as we approached the small tressel we heard a motorcycle approaching and as it came near my brother recognized the guy.it was claude carraway,i kid that lived across town about his age.

he had skipped school to and he and my brother got to talkin and claude said he was going to plano,a town in the southern part of the county that bordered dallas county.

he asked my brother did he want to go and he said yea.well my brother said here's some cigarettes and don't go home till dad leaves,and don't tell on me or i'll kick your ass.

why is it little brothers always end up with this kind of pressure when they usually can't handle it so good,not only that the school had been calling recently wondering why my brother hadn't been at school that day,and my brother would have me lie to them in some fashion,usually by threatening me with that you ain't my brother if you don't stuff.

well about 1 o'clock arrived and i had smoked several cigarettes and so i started back towards the house a little nervous.i didn't mention it but my dad whistled unconciously and i could hear him as a kid a block away.

well i got home and he was gone,so i figured i would kick back and watch t.v.since my dad smoked i never worried about him smelling smoke on me,so i fired up a cigarette and opened the front door,i think it was early in the school year because it wasn't near being cold.

as i was there smoking that cigarette sunlight was coming through the blinds and you could see the cigarette smoke hanging in the air.about this time i heard a car door shut but it sounded like it was at the neighbors house,but then i heard the whistling and i knew my butt was mud.

i flailed about trying to break up the smoke in the air and about the time i got it all swooshed away the old man came in.where the he$$ you been,the school called and said you didn't make it and where's georgie.well the least i can say was that my blood pressure probably up and my brother had left me in this fix.

i didn't get a whipping but my dad said just stay at home,i'm already late for work and we'll deal with this later.well my dad came home early from work and got onto my brother,it wasn't to many more days before he ran off and lived in a church basement for a couple of weeks,and after a couple of more weeks joined the army.

my dad may not have whipped me but the assistant principle at the junior high gave me 3 licks the next day so no good deed goes unpunished:biggrin:.although i missed my brother when he left home i felt a certain amount of relief once he left,alot of my troubles were gone.

it was just me and the folks but it wouldn't be long before i went through that period when your kind of at odds with your parents.my brother eventually grew up and became repondsible and his memory of his blackmailing and trying to intimidate me seem to have disappeared:shrug:

but as they say pay backs are hell and he had 4 sons and he got to deal with a couple of rebels himself,and of course he was never as bad as his kids:lol:

your just trying to make me feel even sorrier for my younger brother:lol:
Good story and a tad familiar.
Wayne

i probably recieved a benefit from it some way,might have prepared me for life in some way that others didn't learn till latter.does your little brother still talk to you?:lol::lol:

in a way he does. I loved that man so.....
He left us two years ago this month and i am sure that he is watching and commenting on the stories, which in a way celebrate his life, with that ironic and brash sense of humor which covered a heart of pure GOLD!
Those are good memories David and i do not shy away from reliving them, thanks bud, for reminding me!:thumbup:
Wayne

and two years in the eighth grade and two years in the ninth grade might give you an indication that I am fimiliar with skipping school.

It also might give me an excuse for poor grammer and spelling.

I hated school and since my father was dead by then and my mother worked all the time, I sorta raised myself and did a mighty poor job of it, I might add.

You were lucky that you had a dad around to kick some smarts into you.

My dad was a mean sucker and also a yeller. Heck so was my mother. I find myself fighting the same traits too. When I get frustrated and that is about the only thing that will set me off, I tend to vent by yelling. It can frighten people as much as an ass kicking though. I don't like myself much at those times but it is sometimes hard to control.

I have found the best way to control it is by walking away. I rarely attacked a person physically because of this, especially since I am now considered an elderly man:goodnight: Heck I might have a heart attack or something. With age also comes wisdom:razz:

n/t

after Halloween in 1969 that I skipped my first day of school. I remember well because us neighborhood kids threw persimmons and eggs at passing cars the night before and didn't much feel like going to school the next day. That day changed my whole junior and senior high school days. I skipped school many more times, but managed to graduate even with many days of detention hall left to serve.

It got to the point to where I'd just take 5 licks from Mr Dills instead of going to dh.

Lil Brother:)

a very intelligent and really interesting person to talk to! I think you are one that also chose NOT to be the way you say your dad wss. After all, you daughters and grandchildren seem to be really crazy about you, and your momma can still whip you butt if you get out of line! ;0

because I am a man and you finally learned your place!! Bout time and that is to Scott's benifit:look::look:

my d.e. teacher broke a paddle on me,the fat end of it flew down the hall and all the building trades class stuck their head out the door to see what was going on.if you were late for wood shop you had the option of licks or pushups,i usually did pushups because they weren't a problem back then.