Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Skimming the surface

Turfsurfer

I know the usual mantra is "gotta go deeper, gotta go deeper" but in one particular instance I don't want to. A recent event took place on a field filled with bolts, tractor parts, wire and so on. If I reduce my gain, will I be able to decrease the depth of signal without losing sensitivity to surface items? Or will it reduce performance overall? If so, is there another technique to just skim the surface? Thanks to all who share your thoughts.

Yes, turn your gain down and that should help with picking the surface finds. You'll also get a "hard" tone if it's surface rather than a softer one. You'll be able to hear it. HH, Nancy

Sorry I didn't thank you sooner, computer access limited ~ Backed gain to 7 but still got clad obviously from previous years. (This site is only used for annual event) Nothing wrong with that, though. Nickels went BANG! Had a little trouble pinpointing dime though signal very strong. One "screwcap" signal dug was penny, which surprised me as most targets ID very well. With VDI showing large blocks in low range, dug no iron. Did not find any jewelry items but have in the past. (ear rings, bracelets and necklace parts) Between job and weather was unable to hunt site 'til a week after event. Figure someone else got there first. They left me a hand full of clad, though.
Am wondering, how do I modify my file to include things like your "Am I getting rich" and equipment used, etc.? Thanks again.