Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sites

e-train

i was wondering what kind sites don't require permission and how would i find some good sites on long island NY

I generally check with somebody before I hunt anyplace. There are some sites where this is a courtesy because detecting is allowed at them. In my area they include public parks and beaches and schools. I have been asked to leave both a public school and a town park. I had express permission to be at both sites. I still hunt both places today because both officials who asked me to leave did so wrongly. In other words, they had no authority to ask me to leave. I did leave when they asked me to, and then had the town supervisor and school board rule on detecting there and both gave permission. One was a real ugly incident as the cop would not identify himself to me. You can find reference to it about 6 months back on this forum.

Easements in your area might be open to detecting without permission too. Check with your zoning board or local government. Don't be surprised if you find that the citizen who mows the easement thinks it's his property. I try to ask permission or ask if they'd mind.

Private property always requires permission. In some cases this is not easy to get. If the place is administered by a board of directors, it might be difficult to get somebody to make a decision as to whether or not you can detect there. Prepare yourself for a few No's. I find that most folks don't mind and many have even more ideas for great sites.

I thinks the best place to start is at an elementary or middle school. Lots of dropped items. Most in my area are pretty free from trashy items. Fewer pop tops, but more bits of foil from lunch boxes etc..... Do it on the weekend or after school in the late afternoon or early evening. Get to know the custodians and introduce yourself to the principal. Be friendly to the parents and children playing in the area. Respect the grounds and don't leave ANY trace of your detecting. Pick up trash and dispose of it properly.

Post photos of your finds.

Chris

Good advice Chris. I carry the phone numbers and names of the people that gave me permission to hunt. This way when asked you will look a lot better by saying "The grounds supervisor Morris said it was OK for me to detect" Here is his phone number. I carry detecting permits with me from the Corp of engineers and from the State to detect certain areas. I have been told several times by Rangers to quit detecting. When I show them the permits they change their attitude. Some don't even want to see the permit. They simply drive off. Some people think they have all the power. They do if you can't back up your story.
Here is just another park story for you. There is a state park that is right on a busy highway in an area I frequent. There is a sand volley ball court there next to the office and road. This park is not on my permit to detect. But that doesn't stop me asking either. I'll bet I stopped and asked 6 times within a year. I mostly see the same people with the same answer "NO". Well I still kept asking. One time the lady running the office said to go right ahead. Well that's all I needed. I had half of the VB court hunted before a ranger came up to me and said I shouldn't be there. He said the lady just started working there and didn't know the rules. He also said that he has taken rocks from kids that collect them on the shore. I kept my mouth shut as some rocks in kids pockets doesn't hurt anyone. Heck I like to pick up cool rocks to remember where I've been on vacation. Anyway if you get a "NO" answer sometimes - just give it some time and ask again.

PS: In half the VB court I only found 2 clads. Not one single foil or tab. So I think someones been sneaking in there?