Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Simply Had To Share This As It Will Help Us All This Summer :thumbup:

My brother and I, when kids on the farm, used to take a can with kerosene in it and pick off the bugs and worms and put them in the can! Tomato worms and potato bugs and many more of the nasty critters! Got rid of them without spraying poisons, as we used to go to the garden and pick the ripe tomatoes and eat them fresh off the vine...sometimes we had a salt shaker; sometimes not! Lots of food in the summer and dad had put in a watering system running down from the Spring, across the creek and into the garden and we had fresh veggies when other people's burned up from the heat and no rain! Mom raised lots of cucumbers and ppl came and gathered sacks full to can pickles for their own use! Mom was a hard worker and canned all this food for use in the Winter! Cliff and I helped but she did the canning and had plenty of fruit jars to wash and scald and often used a cold water bath (tomatoes) or pressure canning! Fun on the farm working and getting ready for Winter, but we did have play fun and swam, waded and splashed in the creek and looked for rocks and etc. Never time to play inside games or use a Computer, even if we had one back then, but with no electricity...we couldn't use things like that anyway! No phone either and mom couldn't drive, so either rode to town with a neighbor when dad was gone working in St. Louis, MO or she rode with the mail carrier to town and then road the School Bus back home with us kids! Oh how times have changed...sure was a quieter time and less hectic, except when having to get things done before it rained or had to be at an event in town...like graduations and etc. I graduated in 1953 and that seems so long, long ago, now...don't seem possible as it was eons ago to me at my age of almost 82! :) Thanks for the info Bro Martin....should save a lot of veggies for the humans to eat and not the various bugs who love to munch on the foods, too! :lol: :angel: Ma

Thanks for sharing MaBetty. Remember the 'ole days' and how it was for us is a joy most of the time. I was blessed to spend summers with my Great Grand-Parents, as a little kid 4-9 years old. They always had big gardens, chickens, goats for milk, and lot of home grown foods. They lived next to the Hart River in Northern Michigan and fishing was always a fun past time. It's going to be one incredible reunion when I see them in heaven, as well as all those that have left this world before us.

I am sure we all have memories whether bad and/or good, but it is a part of our growing up and helping to form who and what we are now! Would love to hear others' childhoods and what it was like whether raised on a farm, town or big city! Thanks for telling us a portion of yours! I loved my grandmother and she was the good part of my life but didn't get to see her very often...only during the Holidays but not always then, for we lived far apart and she had no car and didn't drive and neither did my mom, so dad was the one who drove us back and forth when he could and the weather permitted! She was German and a great cook...loved her food almost as much as I loved her! :lol: Thanks again! :angel: Ma

Thank you Doc....just trying to make the forum more interesting but depends on the readers whether they care or not! I know some ppl don't like to read; especially, men....the women like to read more, I know I always was an avid reader but with my eyes the way they are now, I don't read very much for I have a difficult time seeing! :angel: Ma