Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver vs Cibola

jnstrom

Im a total newbie but have read a ton of great reviews on these two MDs. If you were in my shoes starting out which one would you get and why?

In addition, What accessories should I get when purchasing my MD. I live in WA so I have salt water beaches that I would love to search. I want to look mostly for coins and jewelry. Where is a good place to purchase a tesoro? I like Kellyco but they dont carry Tesoro.

Please help me out!

Hi jnstrom. Most all of the md vets on this forum will say much the same
things for newbies to learn.
>1.. Many detectors are capable, but HOW they're used and WHERE,
are the most important aspects.

>2..The majority of detectors are the VLF type, so that an effective
discrimination mode can be utilized. Unfortunately, VLF's don't perform
very well on wet salt beach sand, because the salt causes a "capacitance"
effect on the electromagnetic (EM) field transmitted from the coil, which
makes the ground act like a big sheet of iron. The wetter the sand the
greater the effect ( a capacitor is a circuit element that holds an electric
charge until it receives a command to release it). But a VLF will work OK
in the dry sand away from the water. I should note that the VLF however,
will work just fine around fresh water lakes or rivers. And all other DRY
ground is OK with VLF's, including wet FRESH water ground.

>3..One can adjust a VLF to work somewhat on wet sand, but it's best to
have a unit that has the controls for it. Those are the manual ground balance
(GB), the Sensitivity control and the Discriminate control. Additionally, the
circuits that have multiple frequencies are better than the single freq. machines
on wet salt sand.

>4..The other major circuit is the PULSE type that transmits X number of electronic
pulses into the ground per second. These are not affected by wet salt or highly
mineralized (ironized) soils as are VLF's. But pulse units are not yet perfected
for discrimination although some are capable of indicating iron somewhat.
Research is still ongoing for effective discrimination for Pulse detectors.

>5..Tesoro has the Tiger Shark (VLF) for fresh water that will work a bit better
on wet salt than most standard VLF's.
Their other water unit is the Sand Shark (Pulse).

>6.. So the Silver will not be very effective on salt beaches, nor will the Cibola.
But the Vaquero or Tejon can be adjusted to be a bit OK for the salt, with their
controls as mentioned above.

>7..Remember that it's only the wet salt sand that is problematic, not dry soils.
If you encounter mineralized (hot) soils, then most VLF's with these controls
(or even factory preset GB) will work just fine.

>8..Case in point: the Tesoro Compadre is their lowest priced unit, but it's preset
ground adjust and excellent discrimination circuit make it a highly effective unit.
A real "sleeper" for jewelry and coinshooting.

Whatever unit you buy, read well the instructions and always use headphones.
BTW, the coils on most every detector are waterproof, but NOT the control box,
except for underwater types like the Tiger Shark or Sand Shark Tesoros.
Good Luck!:thumbup:

Hay Jnstrom,

The best place to buy a Tesoro is from Richard at BackWoods Detectors.

Richard is the greatest.

I have purchased new and used equipment from him and there is no better
guy to do bussiness with, period.

My first Tesoro was the Cibola and I just loved it.

For me, it only took a couple of hours of hunting to know that the hunt was over.

By that I mean that I had tried four other metal detectors in a matter of a few months.

It was costly and frustrating. The machines with displays lied to me and were slow as
Christmas.

Cibola was the first single tone, non-display unit I tried.

The analog fast response and light weight are a pleasure to hunt with.

I like the Cibola better than the Silver.

But they are both good machines and easy to learn.

I like the Vaquero better though.

I have a Vaquero and a Silver Sabre uMax, which is simular to the Silver uMax.

I also have two Compadre's. One with a 7" coil and one with a 5.75" coil.

And I have a Euro Sabre, which is becoming my favorite now.

But the Compadre and Vaquero are a close second.

My $70 used Compadre has found the most gold jewelry for me.

So, you'll have make the decision.

But Tesoro has a great line up of easy to use and good performing machines.

I promise, I don't work for Tesoro. I just like them.

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog

Just click the banner at the top of this page.

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog

You live in washington state out west , ? one big problem you may incounter is black sand find out if you have black sand it will reduce your depth badly and the only detector that can get thru it is the P.I machines

If I was starting out, and had narrowed it to the Cib or the Silver I'd opt for the Cib. When it comes to tools, Im a big believer in "Buy the Most You can Afford."

However if you want to haunt the Pacific wet salt sands and become a Puget Sound Pirate, then you had better eschew the single frequency VLF detectors altogether. They really do have limits in the salted sand and can leave you in the lurch.

Remember, the sand always shifts at the shoreline. What was todays shallow ring is tomorrow's deep one. Single freq VLF's are blinded by the salt and pretty much get overcome by it's reflective qualities. 'Sort of like driving in heavy fog with your high-beams on... the higher you turn you SENS, the less you detect. Turn it down and you get the same effect.

Most surf pirates pretty quickly get on to a purpose built water machine, in either PI or multifreq -VLF formats. The one to beat is the Minelab Excalibur, with the Fisher CZ-20/21 and Whites BHID running in place and show. Garrett has it's Infinium, too and those who learn to use it well swear by it. The reason is, with PI units you dig everything - and I mean everything. Do you have any idea how much iron is at the shore, not to mention ferrous black sand? You soon will if you use a PI. Multi-freq's, on the other hand, are pretty reliable at discerning iron. Since you want to dig everything above iron at the shore, its nice to be able to discern iron.

Keep in mind too that the marine environment is tough. Machines not built to endure the rigors of marine life pretty quickly succumb. Your little Cibola, if it gets doused by accident, will suffer. Lots of people say, "Oh that wont happen to me - I'll be careful." They wrap their gear in plastic and do all sorts of things to protect it. But it takes only one misstep or rogue wave to give you a bad detecting day.

Get teh Cib and steer clear of the wet sand.

Is there a Cibola user air test on various coins? Assume it should do better than the Silver Micro Max(UMax)..For old house hunting and grass fields, I think you need 6 inches( or better) to have a reasonable chance to not just clean junk for the next person..Once you have some depth, then you need a "polite" detector that does not get hung up with iron..One park that still spits out colonial coins in central Jersey has the people going to Minelabs, and other toys that will pick out coins in excess of 8 inches. Two digs at 8 inches, and I'll crawl to the car...However,.the rush from a mighty find would cancel that......cordially NAD

If it's as simple as Silver vs Ciblola, I'd go with the Cibola. However, from what you've described, if you can swing it, I'd go for the Vaquero due to the manual ground balance. Still not the ideal machine for wet salt sand, but should be better than either of the other two. My two bits.
BB

Thanks again!!! I will be checking out backwoods detectors today. I think what Ill opt for is the Cibola and then check out my saltwater options later. This way I can hone the art form.
This is a great forum!!! Ill let you know what happens in the next couple weeks.

One last question is Rocky Beaches (seaside)...Will the cibola be ok? or should I not bother???

Hmmmmm now Im thinking about saving for a bit longer and getting the Vaquero because of the manual ground balance would help me on rock seaside beaches.Decisions decisions!!!

Have a Vaquero coming..Remember your hot rodding days when the saying was "There ain't no substitute for cubic inches"? Well.in detecting, there ain't no substitute for inches down..I went over a spot I did very well with my Silver U Max.This time the toy was a Fisher 1266X..... Hit another $1.31,two tokens,one from Disneyland, and a 10K gold filled ring...And, I had stopped looking when getting the same signals as the ring. Heard a car door slam, dug the hole to see what was going on....Kids gathering in the area.Was about to quit and saw YELLOW...Very little value, but nice to know I am doing something right..And, in "Getting It Right", I am just following the great advice given on these Forums..My arms hurt, my back hurts, my ankles hurt,,neck hurts..,,,that V arrives tomorrow, rain or no rain,back in the high life again...cordially NAD

Nad, remember to Supertune the Vaq for max depth in Disc mode. Threshold and Sensitivity fully clockwise, backoff Sens a little if detector chirps a lot. Can't use Supertune in All Metal mode. The Vaq is a smooth running machine. I used it till I got the Cortes, I like having a meter to get a clue what the target catagory is. Just got a used Fisher Cz7, tried it twice so far. It might be deeper ( ? ) than the Cortes but the Cortes is more pleasant to use. For example: knobs are easier than push buttons, and the Cortes displays the target depth all the time and it gives more target info including #0 - #95 number ID. Jabbo

If you will be hunting the beaches in Puget Sound none of those choices will work well here. The high frequency high gain detectors will give you fits on our nasty hot rock infested beaches. If your mind is set on using a Tesoro on the beaches here maybe look for one of the older models like the Bandido. Having a manual GB is a must and buy one of the small DD coils to help deal with our mucky black sand.

Im in the Tacoma Area. The Vaquero has manual ground. While it is not the best choice for the beaches it might be ok (I hope) or Ill save up for the Excalibur.

jnstrom said:
Hmmmmm now Im thinking about saving for a bit longer and getting the Vaquero because of the manual ground balance would help me on rock seaside beaches.Decisions decisions!!!

Can you save a bit longer still and get a Cortes rather than a Vaquero? It has Manual Ground Balance too along with a VDI meter. It is the best machine that Tesoro has for coins and jewlery because of the meter and remember what Jabbo said:

"...and the Cortes displays the target depth all the time and it gives more target info including #0 - #95 number ID. Jabbo"

Man thats a jump in price! I think Ill opt for the Vaquero and save for the Cortez. It looks awesome!!!!! But Im going to have to check out the hobby. I remember buying a Gibson Guitar and not playing the beautiful guitar. I then sold it but later bought something cheaper.