Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver v Copper ratio?

Some of our clad hunters almost never find Silver. Do you have coin hunters in your country that change their name's to include the make and model of the detectors they use, or is this just a US phenomenon.

I find more pennies than clad and more clad than Silver...

As too the name change everyone wants an identity..........It makes them unique !!!!
When you see their names you know what they use, what they find, and it's just their way of being sociable !!!
It's an interesting way of contributing to the hobby.

Hi,

I think I have known one or two, who have 'usernames' similar to their detector manufacturer's name.

I don't actually know what clad is. Presumably, it's the coins that aren't silver. Are they copper coins and 'cupro' coins?

Kind Regards,

Colin

Yes Clad is non silver but is silver colored only (Nickle I think) it replaced silver coins in 1965 Clad has a copper core and maybe something else mixed in with it... Reads high on the meter scale like silver.

US Silver coins will most of the time look like the day they were lost years ago and still have that silver shine.The clad sand which coins are junk they tarnish after a few months in the ground. My guess pennies to clad 6 to 1 ratio pennies to silver 200 to 1.

Hi,

It should really be: What is the ratio of finding pre-1965 copper coins against pre-1965 silver coins? (U.S. coinage only).

Kind Regards,

Colin

I find lots of pennies.pre 1965..............They were copper now most are Zinc........... They are lincoln memorials back to 1959 58 and back they are Wheats Thats whats on the back the dersign is called wheat

I don't have my info here as I used to do this at the end of the year as I would figure what the percentages were. Different site have different ratio, but the end total was what i figured at the end of the year. Most years was around 3 keepers for every 15th coin dug and 1 silver for every 17th coin dug. A keeper was a wheat penny, war nickles and older and all silver. One site back a few years ago it was 99% keepers and maybe 1 coin out of 100 was a new one as it was a old race track that now is a golf course. This year I don't get out too far and too often, but my odds are real bad with around 25 new to every keeper and 1 silver to every 100 coins dug.
Back in the late 1990 and early 2000 my radio was real good as I used a Sovereign and hit all those site people thought were cleaned out I know I had more keepers than new as everyone picked up all the new coins which was good as I could concentrate on the deeper signals.