Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver U-Max search coils- standard vs. 9X8

dlkamp

Hello everyone,

I am a new member to the forum and have a question about the standard 8 inch factory coil vs. the 9X8 concentric coil for the Silver U-Max. I am an avid old silver coin hunter that is looking for the best depth range. I had read something recently that the 9X8 inch search coil actually will get ya a little more depth.....is there any credibility to that assumption? I have been getting decent depth with my 8 inch standard coil....6 to 8 inch depth range on most wheaties and silver coins. Can this bigger coil give me some added depth on some of the older silver out there? Maybe in the 8-10 inch range in good soil conditions. Up here in good old North Dakota we have pretty decent soil conditions for the most part.

Hi dlkamp,

You will indeed get some more depth with the slightly larger coil, but at the same time increase the risk of getting bad and good targets at the same time under your coil. Th goodies might be masked by trash, depending on how high your disc.

If you search undisturbed land (parks, pasture aso), then 90% of the finds will be in the 8" range. Older coins, which are larger than actual US clads, will be picked up at greater depths.

I'd buy the unit with the stock coil, and maybe acquire a smaller coil later (read the posts about the compadre !)

HH

Nick the Belgian.

Hi Nick the Belgian,

Thanks for the information on the coils. I have had real good luck with my standard coil on my silver U Max, but my buddy has a new Whites with all the fancy dancy bells and whistles and he has been finding old silver coins in the 10-12 inch depth and kinda smoking me. I seem to be reaching around that 8 inch maximum depth with my standard coil. Do you think I could get any more depth with the 9X8 coil and be able to compete with my White's buddy. I know there aren't a whole lot of machines that will reach coins at a 12 inch depth.

In my opinion, if your looking for enough increase in depth to be worth the money, think about getting the 10X12 or the 10.5 donut or the 11" round. Just remember as mentioned in the earlier post as you go up in size you will have more problems with multiple targets in trashy sites. Or, if your budget will stand it, add a Vaquero or Tejon to your arsenal. My two bits.
HH
BB

Thanks for the input Barber Bill!! Will have to save a little dough up and invest in a larger coil to have that option. Thanks again and have a good one! Happy Hunting!

I personally like the 8" stock coil.

I don't think you gain enough depth to make up for the loss in sensativity.

HH,

Thanks for the advice Tab Dog! I really like my standard 8 inch coil....I will probably just keep plugging away with it and save up some money and eventually pick up any coil just to have that option. Thanks again and have a great day!