Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver nickels!!!

Bob in SoMd

Went out a couple of weeks ago and got a '43 Merc and a '43-P war nickel on back to back days. Then I went out on Friday and within 10 minutes dug an iffy 72-81 signal from 5 inches. Out popped the 41 Merc. Not more than 3 feet away I got a hit in the 40 range. I usually suspect trash but this was a 6 inch hit so I dug it. Glad I did, cause I was rewarded with the nickel sized rim that was gleaming. 1945-P war nickel. Not bad for about 15 minutes, I thought. Then about 10 minutes later, got another hit in the 40's. Thought no way is this another nickel but was surprised to pull the '44-P from 5 inches. Never had two war nickels in one day. That's three in 2 weeks.

Here are the pics - only dug 4 coins. First pic is pre-cleaning. Then after rinsing. War nickel have the crud so I have to thank someone for giving me the ketchup gouge. Works AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC on war nickels. Only soaked them for about an hour and their back to looking like the day they were dropped.

[attachment 166759 ImportedPhotos00070.jpg] [attachment 166760 ImportedPhotos00072.jpg] [attachment 166761 ImportedPhotos00073.jpg] [attachment 166762 ImportedPhotos00074.jpg] [attachment 166763 ImportedPhotos00075.jpg]

Way to go Bob! :thumbup: Now that's what I call a S-W-E-E-T outting. Great pictures and thanks for sharing. HH, Nancy

Very nice silver coins you really had a silver day . I dug two war nickels last week they seem to be popping up all over the place this year . Good job , great hunt ...

Harold

Nice finds, congrats on the shinies!

Thanks all.

Larry, just put the nickel in a plastic sandwich bag with enough ketchup to cover it. Wait an hour or two and it should come clean. You'll know it's working when the ketchup around the coin turns black. Then, take it out and just rinse it off with water.

I've also used this successfully with buffalo nickels that I can't get a date off of.

I've also completely toasted Indian Head pennies doing this. I just have to accept that copper in my area won't clean up well.