Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver Jump Wings & War Nickel

Bob in SoMd

Last two hunts' keepers - better than fireworks! The jump wings rang up a solid 80-81 VDI. 3 inches down. The war nickel was 20-22 VDI and I was thinking pull tab. Even out of the ground it still was a 22. It was only at 2". Think both the rank insignia and the wings are 1950's era based on researching the stamps on the reverse.

Thanks for looking and happy 4th of July to all!

Bob

[attachment 203074 ImportedPhotos00000.jpg] [attachment 203075 ImportedPhotos00001.jpg] [attachment 203076 ImportedPhotos00007.jpg] [attachment 203077 ImportedPhotos00008.jpg] [attachment 203078 ImportedPhotos00009.jpg]

Great finds . . .those wings are awesome !

[size=large]the metal chevrons would more than likely come from the late 50's early 60's. or at least that's when they started to be used.
i don't think they were used in korea but came later for sure. they are in real good shape.
well if the web site i visited is correct then the metal cheverons were started in 1954. at least by the marine corps. the cross b.b. guns weren't added til the later 50's or early 60's to the u.s.m.c. version. til then they looked the same whether army or marines.at least that rank did. otherwise they is army. don't know what the marines use for there jumpers. for sure the army uses what you found. sorry to ramble on. it's an interest of mine.

HH [/size]

Excellent finds! I love all the items. The wings are a very special find. Congrats and HH, Nancy

Yukon Bob,

NICE FINDS . . .

Those are US Army E-7 chevrons. Probably not that old; seems pretty modern. We Marines used the crossed Rifles. The 'jump wings' are still used by US Army and US Marines today and are referred to in slang as "lead sleds". Since your's shown above are made of silver, probably a 70s version as Widebody stated. They are your basic parachute "5 jump" qualification badge given to a Soldier or Marine once completing the basic air assault school aka "jump school" at Ft Benning Ga. Hope this helps..... CCH

Thanks all -

CCH, always good to hear from another Marine! The stripes might be Army but they could be 1950's era Marine Tech Sergeant stripes. The Corps didn't start using the crossed rifles on enlisted rank insignia until 1958.

All services use(d) the same Basic Parachutist badge.

S/F,
Bob

http://www.obxmarines.com/rank_structure.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_Sergeant

[size=large]semper fi Bob SOMD. if they're army then that would narrow down what outfit also. the only two i know of are the 101st airborne and the 82nd airborne of the army and i can only think force recon in the marine corps. those are the only folks i can think of who would leave a perfectly good airplane while in flight. i think D.B. Cooper made use of his traing in one of those units during his hi-jacking back in the 70's. :rofl:

HH :usmc:[/size]

A Force Recon Marine GySgt would definitely have gold jump wings with that rank (after 20 jumps if i remember correctly) ...... Plus he'd never lose them.... C'mon ! LoL Semper Fi.

CCH