Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver Hunting Metal Detector?

ScouseRicey1

Hi Everyone,

Is there a detector on the market, that will only hunt silver and discriminate against everything else? I would quite happily discriminate against everything except silver, or alternatively the same with gold.

Kind Regards,

Colin

No, not really. Silver is actually very easy to find and difficult to reject. ANY detector
with a discriminator circuit and control can be adjusted to knock out most all metals
but has to be turned as far as the disc control will go, to reject silver, since silver
gives a very strong response. Gold, on the other hand, will reject quite easily at a
setting past nickels.

Simply put, one MUST search at sites where silver is more apt to be found. If you're
not finding silver, then it's either not there or too deep for your detector/coil
combination. Again, if we use too much discrimination, then we will NEVER find
any gold!:goodnight:
Good Luck in all your hunts!
..W

Then again it is nice we don't have this as everyone would have one and there would be nothing left for the people that really enjoy detecting.
There is no detector that will find just silver or gold and no trash, but to get a better odds of finding silver and gold you need a good detector plus learn it well and to what it is telling you. You also need to detect area where these can be found and you will have to dig trash to get gold plus get the coil over the silver and gold, there is no easy way about it. This is what separates those that are serious about detecting and those that think they can make some money without the work.

Many thanks for your replies. I think the Tesoro came closest years ago, were you could use the notch system. It would be a difficult shout to make, whereby you only went out and hunted silver, but would just walk over the gold. I suppose it would take some fun out the hobby. I can't 'believe' you lot in the States were the first to get someone on the moon, but for 30 odd years since metal detecting has been popular, you can't discrim. against all iron.

I've had my fair share of good finds over the years, so I can't really complain. If you lot could discrim. against everything, except silver, would you?

Kind Regards,

Colin

The closes one I know of that after thinking about it to disc everything but silver would be the Minelab Explorer as you could build a pattern to disc everything and then just open up the very top right edge. The only problem is the silver close to another item, or not laying in perfect environment may not read in this area.
The best detector i have found for iron is the Minelab Sovereign as it hates iron and will null on most and the signal will break up on the others.

Colin,

Getting to the moon was easy. While we Yanks were spending all that money doing that, one of your other ex-colonies were developing the closest thing to what you want, the Minelab.(like RickND said.)

Someday a technology will be developed that will be able to "screen" out types of metals and pinpoint within millimeters. Stick around.

As with gold silver can give a response anywhere on an I.D.meter and any tone on a tone I.D. system according to the size of the item and the amount of ground mineralisation.
Thats why all the analogue Whites, Compass , Garretts etc with I.D. meters had a huge sweep of colours for both silver and gold running through from iron across the whole width of the meter.

Re the mention of notch that is another way of guaranteeing good finds are lost. Use notch accept for searching for a specific item like a lost earring by all means but notch reject never.