Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver and 138 year old Victorian English Penny

Bob in SoMd

Here are the highlights of the last couple of hunts for me.

Hunted last Saturday morning for a couple of hours and managed a merc and buffalo nickel (both 1936).

I wanted to get out again and take advantage of the warmer weather this late in the season. So today I got out for just over an hour and found a VERY worn out copper coin that I think is a Victorian British Penny. VDI rang in at 60-62 and she was at about 4 inches. It appears to be an 1872 and thank goodness for the internet. I didn't have a whole lot to go by. Only has one letter on the entire coin that is legible - the "D:" next to the lady's shoulder. The size (30mm) and straight date ruled out any US coin in the 1800's. But I was able to compare it with some pictures online and zero in on the British Penny. This is my oldest coin found so far. I have no idea why it ended up at this site..just goes to show you never know what'll turn up.

[attachment 180483 ImportedPhotos00025.jpg][attachment 180484 ImportedPhotos00026.jpg][attachment 180485 ImportedPhotos00024.jpg]

A little while later I dug up a dirt clump with a reeded edge poking out and resisted the impulse to open it up. I saved that till I got home and let my son open it. Turned out to be a 1950 Rosie in pretty good shape.

[attachment 180486 ImportedPhotos00002.jpg][attachment 180494 ImportedPhotos00008.jpg][attachment 180488 ImportedPhotos00029.jpg]

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and good luck on your next hunt.

Bob

Guess I was in a hurry posting the other pix. Found this one yesterday.

[attachment 180504 ImportedPhotos00034.jpg]

Yukon Bob,

That's some awesome finds and a whole lot of history you're holding in your hands with that British coin. Nice silver too. :thumbup: Congratulations as you always seem to post something a bit different from everyone else . . . . and that's a good thing. PS. Where's that Stone Mountain Commerative Half :ranting: :rofl: !!!! ???? I enjoy looking at your finds and thanks for posting. CCH

Really nice finds Bob. That quarter's in great shape too...

Those are really neat finds. Your pictures are amazing and that clump of silver is just great. You've got a lot more patience than I do. Congratulations on the finds!

NebTrac

Thanks all!

CCH - that Stone Mtn Half is safe and on display. I really want to find a Walker someday...let alone TWO in one day. How about sharing with us poor folk?

Yukon Bob,

At the rate you're going, you gonna hit one .... I KNOW IT. :detecting: Maybe even another Stone Mtn Half for me ? :shrug:
Good luck in your quest. LOL

CCH

Looks like you had a great hunt. That was very nice of you to let your son open the clod of dirt up. Was he surprised? I wish I could have seen his face. Heck, I get excited when I see a silver rim in the dirt. Thanks for posting and HH, Nancy

Nice! Very nice quarter. You're on a roll. :thumbup: HH, Nancy