Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silent threshold

Hello. I am very new to the Minelab Explorer with just 1/2 season under my belt. When hunting my threshold is almost always nulled out on any site I visit unless I hold the detector still. Does that mean I am running too high of sensitivity or that I am experiencing a lot of trash, or both? What would you recommend?

Certain places I hunt do the same thing to my SE Pro. If there is a lot of iron in the ground it will "null out" like you described. You can back off the sensitivity or try running it in auto sensitivity. Also a smaller coil may help. I'm sure others will have more valuable info on this and may help us both.

As mentioned, also you could try Iron mask, screen wide open, it won't null and you will hear all the iron(low growl) and be able to pick up some of the non iron targets in amongst it, savage amusement at times but it works, also you could try a smaller coil in that zone

digginrebel said:
Certain places I hunt do the same thing to my SE Pro. If there is a lot of iron in the ground it will "null out" like you described. You can back off the sensitivity or try running it in auto sensitivity. Also a smaller coil may help. I'm sure others will have more valuable info on this and may help us both.

Great advice . Also when hitting a null , pull just away from the nulling until you get your treshold sound back and then SLOWLY try going over the null from all directions a few times sometimes it will help you pick out a hidden signal .

H H ,
George

With every null your coil experiences some desensitivity. When that happens you loose depth which means you may miss targets. Reduce your IM to say 28 and move your coil slower... also try using manual sensitivity at 24. I think you will be surprised how much this might improve your nulling. Otherwise just raise your coil and your threshold should return. A lot of the good hunters feel auto sensitivty is the key and dont believe the null precludes their hitting good targets.

Dew

Just a thought on the constant nulling.
First I would find a clean spot and do (noise cancel) let the exp find the quietest channel for the site.
Then if it still was a constant null, set the gain about (6) and then try lowering the sensativity by (1or2 numbers) at a time until the machine settled down.
Personally I use gain 6 and sensativity 26auto. But have also had to go as low as 12 manual on sensativity.
These are just My personal thoughts and methods.
Nothing is set in stone and what ever works is good for me.:beers:

HH BiLL IL