Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:shrug:Coin Probes--Are They Worth It?:shrug:

soldier4god888

:hot:I've never really used a coin probe before. I thought they might be good to use but wasn't sure if they were all they are cut out to be. What are your thoughts? Have you used one? Which one is considered the best?:crazy:

I bought the treasure hunter vibro-probe around a year ago. It works OK - but it is a bit too long, the tip is a bit too fat, and it does not have much depth capabilities. It also only vibrates and has no tone setting. It is totally waterproof which makes it nice. I use it when I dig a plug and want to find the target
more quickly than having to half up the plug and wave pieces of the plug around in front of my coil until I find the right chunk. The draw back with the Vibro-probe is it has an auto on and off feature. That may not sound like a drawback, but for me it is. If I leave the battery in and carry it around in my detector bag, it will go on and off all the time when I don't want it to - which runs down the battery and it becomes somewhat of an annoyance. I would go for a pin-pointer that has both a vibrating and sound function, and one that has a simple on and off switch. If you are talking about a simple coin probe - like a long screw driver looking thing - I don't use one. A friend of mine swears by them. He says they can help prevent damaging a valuable coin by helping to not hit something valuable with a digging trowel. He spends about 5 minutes on everything he tries to dig by probing around trying to locate the exact location of a coin or valuable, when I move on from coin to coin while he is still probing around. If you find a place where you know there may be lots of very old and valuable coins in the ground, a probe would be the right thing to use in order to help prevent damage........I guess. However, since I have never found anything really old - I have not given it much thought.

Thanks for your input. Yeah I'm unsure if to buy one or not. I've never used one and still had good success. Maybe it's just one of those things that you don't need but still want to buy. Maybe It's a good idea to get one. I'll wait to see what more of you say in order to make a better decision. Thanks Again!! Happy Hunting!:usmc:

a screwdriver type to pop coins out or a battery powered pinpointer to find the coin?

Whites makes one that can be set to vibrating or sound option as well as an LED light to light the way down the hole. Depth is limited though as with all probes to about two or so inches. It runs on a single 9v batt. The other probe, just file down an old screw driver and save yourself some bucks.

The sunray in line probe can't be beat! :)
But they only fit certain machines.
Otherwise I like the Merlin, and the Vibra probe.

Don't remember seeing you post here before, so Welcome! :)

God bless!

Mike

i have used at least three other brands and the uniprobe is tops ,can be used with any detector:clap:what i did was found a good used one ,just happened to send it in for a tune-up,was done free:yikes: man what a warranty:clapping:they made it into a new one!!! when you put in the hole it will do 5 1/2 inches,you can actually turn it into a regular detector with a rod & coil.the head phones is the control-box:thumbup:they have great service and warranty.they are hard to find used ,but i advertised and found had a guy with two.there are two models the pocket one and the head-phone model.

:pulltab:bill

Still convinced to just use a screwdriver for now. My MXT does a good job of pinpointing. Maybe in the futre I'll invest in an electronic probe. Do any of you do any prospecting?

I used to use those cheap screw drivers that left metalic stuff on the rocks that were in the whole. I used to think that it was a coin until I dug it up. The metalic silver material from the screwdriver would rub off on the rock fooling me. Has that happened to you?

No I never had any problem that way. I could tell the coins from rocks most of the time! With practice, the coins have a different touch because they are flat! I've used screwdrivers and ice picks by flatting the points so they wouldn't scratch so much but did scratch sometimes when I got in too big of a hurry! :sad:

I will still use an ice pick if and when I go :detecting: and use my shovel if the coin is too deep or too hard to pop up! Slows me down more than Steve's detecting but I get tired too easily and just want to find lots of quarters and add up my coin and dollar count! Too many early birds and Minelab detectors around here anyway! Lots of older parks here in the vicinity!

God Bless! :angel:
Betty

:puke:Yeah the rocks tend to be lumpy and the coins are usually flat..LOL!!:lmfao:, but that's if you feel them or touch them. That is obvious! You can tell if something is flat or lumpy if you TOUCH it. I meant when you LOOK into the hole in the ground and see something metalic in there thinking it is a coin and it is a rock with metalic paint on it fooling you. LOOK not FEEL. Of course the actually coin is in the hole but you haven't found it yet. :blowup: Too funny!