Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Should Small Square Tabs Read.....as Nickels

BillyBr

I have noticed on my Mxt small Square Tabs Reads around Nickel 17 to 20 20 display shows Nickel Ring- I was wondering if Other Mxt Users have the same readings and if there is a trick to tell whether it is a Nickel or Square Tab.

On my MXT nickels read anywhere from 16 to 24 on the VDI meter. Usually they register at 18-20. Gold rings and pull tabs read those numbers also. No way to tell exactly what is there until you dig it. Mike

On my MXT they normally read 2 to 4 numbers higher then a nickel.
But if they are slightly bent or part of one then they read like a nickel. Normally nickels just sound better.

HH

Oak -- sweet home Alabama

My MXT reads nickels between 18 and 20...usually 18. Unfortunately, so does most pulltabs and lots of gold. A bent or broken tab will read as low at 12-16, and some square ones will read as high as 32.

I've found that MOST nickels on my machine will have a lower mellower sound, where nearly all tabs will "scream", but this is not always the case. In the end, if you want nickels or gold, you have to dig LOTS of pulltabs, foil, bits of junk, etc.

Marc

The length of a pulltab is close to the diameter of a nickel but the VDI doesn't interpret dimention although it will register a buckle. A large 'ring' pulltab can be distinguished. As the coil passes over the object, there will be a distinct hesitation of sound because the coil is reading the dirt under the circular ring. In a playground the other day, I was poking around with my DD coil in the wood chips and got a reading similar to a pull tab - 'X'ing the coil suggested the object had a linear shape. I dug and found a 12K ankle bracelet. Keep digging!

On my Machine nickels will read about 18 and the pull tabs
will be higher around 20 or 22.
The numbers will tell the difference

If you only dig the 18-20 vdi you are passing many nickels. I dig many nickels that read 16-18-20. I also dig tabs and can slaw that read solid 18's and 20's. I think my highest nickel was around a 26. Once the nickel is on edge or canted the readings can change. Put another coin or piece of trash close to the nickel and the numbers change.

I have mild ground and can run +2 and +3 most of the time with a smooth threshold. I run in relic mode. On some days I've had surface nickels read overload. Today I had a flat surface nickel read a solid 18 but it gave a consistent double beep. If I wasn't digging for rings I would miss some of the nickels I've found. Good luck Rob

HI

I haven't found a trick yet, But when im out at a park i have found pulltabs any were between the 20s to 30s on the VDI scale. I have dug nickals when the number is between 28or30.But, i have dug pulltabs at the number range to. SO i have found that you have to did about every thing in that range to find nickals,or rings.

priscilla

The first ten days that I had my detector(30 hrs.) I dug everything I heard and I can make a pretty good guest now, it seems to me that a tab has a little more of a drawn out sound I could be wrong I'm new at this I do nickels and my tab count has gone down. rimdig Chuck:pulltab:

normal pull tabs from a can of pop read +22 for me and i often find crushed pull tabs that read 16-- 20 and half a pull tab on my M-6 always reads like a nickle 18- 20 and sometimes a roled up foil can give a nickle