Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Should I TRADE? GTP 1350 for ACE 250

lainylainy

Hello-my name is Lainy and I'm new here. I've been hunting for about four years. I just posted that I suck with my 1350. I went out and tried again and just can't seem to work well with it.

Should I sell it and get an ACE 250?

Simpler is better for me and I just want to hunt for jewelry and coins.

Please give me your opinion!

Thanks.

I'll trade one of my Ace 250's for your 1350. PM me.

Yeah, I bet you would, hehehe. I know that the Ace costs about half of what my GTP did...so if I do sell it I will prolly sell it on Ebay. I might take some Valium and try again with my GTP later (kidding...about the Valium anyway).

I just have to be more patient!

Thanks anyway for the offer! :crazy:

:rofl: he beat me to it, I was gonna offer to trade with you...:rofl:

The Ace works great in most soils. If you have highly mineralized soil you need a ground balance detector which can be a lot harder to use. If you like simple and good the ACE250 is a great detector that will find coins for you. You will love the weight. It sounds like you need to buy one and try it out. You then could sell one or the other or keep one for a back up. If you get the Ace get the sniper coil for coin hunting.

I own a 1350 and have owned a 250 and except for the bells and whistles on the 1350, there isn't much difference in the two. Just keep working with and ask lots of questions. A few years ago Uncle Willy and John-Edminton, to name just two that I know of ( John will forgive me for the misspelled Edminton) both wrote articles on the 1350.
Your Friend,
John D.

The title said TRADE so I thought I would give it a shot.:detecting:

You probably need a little (or a lot) of practice. Start someplace easy like a barkchip area. Lower the sensitivity a bit. You'll eventually get it, probably in less that 10 hours.

The Ace 250 has very quirky pinpointing. The coil on the 1350 is of similar design so it is probably the same.

Have you been using the 1350 for four years and not liking it? What other machines have you used?

Chris

There are about a thousand posts dedicated to getting started with Garrett detecors since the first of the year. Lots to read and digest. If you have specific questions just ask. Lots of experts here to help.

I was gonna say I'd make the trade too but my pal beat me to it!

Keep it! My son has a 250, I have a 1350. We both have sniper coils and I also have the big honkin DD coil. I like the 1350 much more than the 250. Don't get me wrong, the 250 is the best $200 you can spend. I have noticed that my 1350 is "right on ID" more than my son's 250. Last weekend we dug 150 coins side-by-side (you have to change the 1350's frequency to do this and not interfere with the 250) and the 1350 was right probably 90-95% of the time and the ace was right 50% of the time. Especially on nickles. My 1350 identified 10 different nickles as nickles and the 250 identified them as pull tabs. My son is wondering why he doesn't find many nickles and it is because discrimination has spoiled him. (me too to be honest) I would scan the target, write down the reading, then have my son scan it from same direction with the 250. He would write down what the 250 identified, then we would dig it up. Everything was clad so I can compare it on silver yet. I will admit that it has taken some time to get used to it. I have had it for 18 months and probably recovered 1,000 coins with it and 10 times that many pull tabs. I am just now getting very confident with it and my numbers have gone up. I used to get only a few coins in a couple of hour dig and I have recently got as high as 50 in a two hour dig ( I was sweating in 40 degree weather). Some of this is due to me learning where NOT to scan, some of it is learning the machine, and some of it is the 1350 itself. My thought is, you gave $500 - $600 for the 1350 four years ago. You might get $200 - $250 for it on e-bay being that old and used. You have a better machine now and will not get any money back in the exchange. Why do it? I will add that my recovery went way up once I added a quality set of headphones and learned how to adjust the 1350's sensitivity.

Absolutely not. You have one of the best coin/jewelry detectors made. What seems to be your problem? I field test detectors for Garrett and the 1350 is hard to beat How do you have it set up. If you are cranking your sensitivity up - don't! Drop it down to about 6 or 6.5. Tell me what you are doing.

Bill

Ive written it up too. If I may ask: Are you nuts!

Okay Im kidding. Seriously, the 1350 is one of the best midpriced detectors going and could easily vie for the title of best general use model.

I've had one for a long time and have tested it against several detectors, some at the high end, and the 1350 is a real gem.

Dont get rid of it until youve spent 50 hours with it. Get to know it

Hi -Thank you all for your good advice. I'm so glad that I came here! :please:

I started out with my Bounty Hunter Poineer 202. I like it good enough but my son got very very ill three years ago and my hubby got me the fancy Garrett. My son is doing much better but I'm not with my Garrett!!

I think that the sensitivity thing is a real issue for me, I most likely have it on WAY to high. Also, I'm using the DD coil - should I switch back to the smaller coil? It seems that the thing is beeping ALL THE TIME and when I look/dig I'm not finding anything, or it seems that it will beep a bunch of times all within inches of itself and I can't pinpoint. I'm still learning to pinpoint after all these years and don't really have it down yet (I've done the jewelry/coin thing under rugs, etc for practice.)

I'm just tired of digging and digging and not finding anything. I do find coins here and there.

FUNNY STORY - I went to the beach about 10 times and found maybe a couple of dimes and then the next time I went WITHOUT my detector I found a HUGE 14K gold ring just lying in sand. Doesn't that just figure?? :shrug:

Take the DD coil off and put the stock coil on. Play with the DD when you have lots of experience racked up. It's a breed all its own. I have a field test on it at losttreasure.com

Bill

The only reason I would think that you might trade would be if you needed a lighter dealer. I have the GTP1350 and my sons have an ACE250. I have used them both and love my GTP1350. In the two years that I have had it I have found over 3200 coins and over two dozen jewelry items. I have also found musket balls and other interesting items. I normally run my at 6 or 7 sen and in the jewelry mode. When pinpointing do you god side to side to center the target? If so after you center the target then slowly pull the coil back towards you and when the signal goed dead, normally the target will be right under the inner coil at the center. If the target is over four inches deep then your target will move back closer to the center of the coil or lower rod. The other thing I do is use a frisbee to load my dirt into when I need to dig deeper than my grass flap. this way you cab use a hand probe or in-line probe to find the target in the dirt. Last Saturday I went to a middle school play field and in 1.5 hours I found 36 dimes, 14 quarters, 2 nickels, 15 pennies, and a kid's ring. I was using my GTP1350, a Sunray in-line probe and a hand trowel with my frisbee. I also have a DD 10X14 coil which I have done terrible with but it is like a knife edge down the center verse an Ice cream cone target area under the standard coil which I mainly use.

I hope you give the GTP1350 another chance using the standard coil. Post me a quetsion or two if you want.

Farnum

You are a real enigma, kiddo!