Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Should I MD in Mexico?

MikeMXT

My girlfriend's boss is paying for all the employees to go to Mexico this summer. The date is confirmed but the location is not. It's either gonna be the Riu Caribe in Cancun or the Riu Playacar in Playa Del Carmen. Both are right on the beach and I would love to dig the beaches. Question is, it is Mexico and the last thing I want is some federalis messing with me. Anyone ever have any problems in Mexico. Should I take my MXT with me or just leave it at home?

Once you find what Hotel you are staying, give em a call and ask the manger to find out for you.
HH,
John

I went to Cozumel last summer and detected. I found out that my scoop was pretty useless cause the dead coral didn't have too much sand on it. I would say leave the scoop at home and be prepared to fan away the sand till you get the target.
I didn't have anyone say anything about my detecting so I guess it was alright.

METAL DETECTORS!!!!

We don got no Metal Detectors!

We don need no stinkin Metal Detectors!!!!@
stinken.jpg

How's my Mexican accent?

I live right on the Arizona/Mexico border so I go there a lot. I've taken my MXT over a few times, but I did make sure to check with the Mexican customs office (Officina de Aduana) at the border before attempting to take it into Sonora. They told me that most electronic items require proof of ownership, which is just a paper obtainable from their office at no cost (I think), in case the Federales ask where you got it. Otherwise you may be charged an import tax, which is usually not very much and based on retail value of the item. This rarely happens near the border but is fairly common deep in Mexico. This also helps to prove prior ownership in case US Customs get nutty and want you to declare it as an import. I've never taken mine more than fifty miles into Mexico, so I have never had any problem, even without the paper.

Also the laws may differ depending on where you want to detect, so it may behoove you to ask at your hotel. You can probably get the proof of ownership paper at any Mexocan consulate or maybe even from a travel agent. Mexico isn't quite as bad is the Pancho Villa days, and there are fewer "El Guapos" roaming the countryside. The Federales get paid a reasonable salary so they won't hassle you unnecessarily, but a few rogue Rurales (local police) are still sometimes looking for La Mordida. Even that is becoming rarer.

Almost no one detects in Mexico so it may be a great opportunity. Just be sure to have your ducks in a row so you don't wind up losing your detector, and if you should luck out and find any Aztec, Mayan or other antiquity don't even think of keeping it or trying to get it out of the country. That would be just about the surest way to see serious jail time. They get real testy about such things.

Marc

ROFL @ tabdog.

If you can find a place to safely, legally detect in Mexico, I say go for it!

Ouch! :rant:

The whip just gotted cracked! I have decided, at my girlfriends request (demand), that I should (better) leave my detector at home so I can leave all the treasures for other detectorists to find. Now before you say I'm whipped, she does let me go MD'ing at home as much as I want. It was a tough decision to pick between GF and MXT:

1. Both are expensive.
2. One gives me clad, one gives me half the house payment.
3. I love both.
4. Both relieve stress.........sometimes.
5. One is paying for half of my way to Mexico!

Winner, GF!

It is probably best to play your hunches Mike, but for what it is worth............... I have stayed at the RIU complexes and there is no problem with hunting the beaches or going through customs with your detector. The government owns all of the beaches and TH'ing is fine. The locals and tourists alike hit the beaches, but stuff is lost daily and the RIU is very happy when you return the the room keys and and silverware to them. If you do hunt down there, hunt early morning and right before sunset because the beaches are packed during the day. The highlight of my hunt was finding and returning to owners, two lost rings. Good luck and have fun.

PS........DO go para-sailing, the view from up there is awesome and DO take your camera up there with you. You won't get wet.