Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Should I buy the Spectra V3???

metaltaylor4

I have been researching the more higher end detectors lately, fisher, minelab, whites...and I love the user interface of the V3. Someone is selling a used one locally for 1200 with headphones and I feel that's a pretty good price. I am looking for DEPTH in a machine and have been reading the forums and have seen some people saying they are getting stuff at 8-10 inches and others say they can't go past 6 inches. Is this only because of tweaking problems or is it because of their ground soil? I am somewhat confused at this 6 inch limit and don't want to be discouraged by buyin the V3 because of it. Also, a lot of people seem to be selling their visions and V3's. If anyone could help me out with the decision and these questions it would be greatly appreciated! -Taylor

I have to believe depth comes with familiarity of the machine,any machine, not just the V.

You can only find what's in the ground. I've found good targets at all depths ranging from right on top of the ground down to about 14" deep. (And I might add "so far"...)

Hi Taylor... all modern detectors are built to a level where they will perform pretty much on a level playing field at there own specialized field. I.e the Xp goldmaxx is a high frequency machine which is very good at finding small targets. The V3 is One of a new breed of detectors that are the next logical step in detector developement. The V3 is a digital machine with a modern interface (thats easy to use) and most importantly is a multi frequency machine which allows for many more detecting opportunities. It will work very well as a general detector but can also be tuned for specific applications such as prospecting mini target hunting etc. Its not as complicated as some would have you believe and i believe its probably the best allround detecting solution that is available at this moment in time. If you are prepared to put the time in and learn the detector it will reward you by the bucket load. yes there are a number of V3's that have already come up for re-sale but i think the people selling them have not given the detector a fair go before throwing there teddies out of the cot and sticking it on ebay !!! I have been using my V3 for about 2 months now and can honestly say its a quantum leap over my old XLT which i have been using for many years. You will see many differing opinions on the V3, same as you will with any detector, you need to form your own opinion and then make your choice.

all the best rob

No matter what detector you consider, you will always find the naysayers. I read comments about the "lack of depth" with the DFX, but i found coins at more than 14 inches. I have a friend that hates his low end Garrett Ace 250, saying he cannot get any depth from it, but i found a large cent that was more than ten inches down with mine.

The point is, if you understand the features of your machine by reading the manual over and over, you will be able to get the most out of it. I nearly freaked last week when I got my V3, thinking I was in over my head, but after reviewing the manual a few times I understand it much better. I know I can get more depth out of it, but i am taking it slow and learning a few controls at a time.

What really separates the V3 from the other high end detectors is not really the depth (although that is a big plus), but the amount of control you have over your environmental conditions that can give you more depth. The other big advantage is the amount of information you are able to get about your target including probability, even before you dig. These two things are what sets the V3 miles apart from any competitors machine.