Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Should computers be named after wimmen like boats are? They are contrary enough:throw:.............

Wayne in BC

Setting up a new "get fatter" machine here. Laptop, you know.......set in the lazyboy with snacks and start surfing and pecking:biggrin:
About the time i think i know a bit about them (like wimmens) they up and sabotage me!

This windows Vista is not that bad an OS but i'm gonna change its name to Vistelia or such!
Sometimes i think it should be called "Microsoft bathroom windows" but one point in favor is that the Laptop works there too;)
As i said Vista is fair good, i remember everyone trashing other versions when they came out, so whats new? Well, not much if you are computer savy. They don't tell you that the Vista you were using on the desktop may be updated, configured, or set up different on the new "Studio" laptop, hmmmmm......

The power options are driving me nuts! One kinda expects that when you configure the power options and tell your puter to "go to sleep" that it will do it for more than an hour then crash and need a hard restart:blink: The manual also says that one push of the power button wakes it up.......not bloody likely! Need to power down and do a hard restart again! Several days, many calls to Dell, and surfing the Dell support forums confirms that they have problems with power options on this new model, took some arm twisting to get that info from Dell (Delia?) even though it is readily available online...Grrrrrr! I am spoiled by the Dell desktop that has been wonderful.......

Vista (Vistelia) has a habit of remembering all the wrong things, just like them wimmins! I get a PPS file from a friend and have to search high and low for the program to open it. I have Microsoft office 2007 which has PPS viewer built in so i tell it to use "Office" which is the only close choice i see and the dang thing opens in gibberish! Ok, try another cause the dumb thing does not know which part of office i want to use:cry::crazy:
After 5 minutes of opening various odd files and places i locate PPS viewer and tell the lil box.......use that dummy! Ok it says and opens it perfect. I go to the next email and it is a WMV from Royal, a raunchy one so i do a shoulder check and tell the puter to not tell any other wimmens that i looked at this:devil: Sure it says and promptly tries to open it with PPS! Then when i get cross it says......well you shoulda checked the little box that says "always use this program to open these kind of attachments" now be nice or i will tell! Sigh........wimmen!

I fooled her though and got Firefox which lets me hide my tracks and history.......take that you....er .......Delia:razz:

Early in our relationship I was working on my computer upstairs. Mary was in the kitchen down stairs. I called the computer by its proper name, M-----F-----! Mary yelled up and told me I didn't have to use that language. I explained to her that was its name and it only responded to it.

She does not swear. Damn is only used under her breath and she does not respond to cussing well.

One day way back she was still in the agony of her divorce and she called her soon to be ex, under her breath now or at least she thought so, the second part of my computers name. I heard it just fine from the other room.

I yelled, "Hey Mary, I didn't know he was related to my computer! Hahahhahaahh" She quickly responded, "I have no idea what you are talking about!" Serious like, like I was deaf. :D

I still use XP on my puters and will resist Vista until I have to buy another computer. XP does just eveything I want right now

Now you gotta tell Royal to label the raunchy stuff with an asterix, or mislabel it sos the wimmen cannot finger ir out!! :):

fair winds

Mikie

else to read your email. I send it to you.:rofl:

Found a great deal on XP Pro locally and had it installed. Man I missed XP. I'll most likely be going to Mac after XP is completely done. Cheers.

actually i have got along with Vista quite well on the desktop for over a year, it is just this laptop that is weird. And maybe me being a bit too:biggrin:

this newest version is the first one i have had problems with. I cannot create a working shortcut on my desktop with firefox and must create it in explorer. Any i created in firefox were not live links and i had to sign in each time. It is also now joined at the hip with Google and wanted to add ANOTHER toolbar and other trash to my puter when i upgraded. If i went along with all this crap i would have 10 toolbars....sheesh! The other day when i downloaded windows live messenger with firefox it clutzed up and tried to open 20 windows and i had to go to task manager, stop it all and then uninstall and download it again with IE:shrug:
I have heard that many folks are having a few probs with the new version but it sure is faster and safer.

but sometimes i think that if this puter was a Mule i would not have an unbroken 2x4 left on the place:lol:

to the extra toolbars :D it is easy buddy:thumbup:Just say no.

I can not get the dang spell check to stay on my toolbar. I tried to jump through all the hoops they want me to but to hell with it. I do like firefox though and using Foxmarks addon it keeps all my bookmarks and such in sinc with all my puters. I love that feature

n/t

my new power supply for my desktop. I went from a 300 watt unit to a 500 watt unit. Being that this is the 3 rd power supply I put in it, it may have been undersize all along and why they kept blowing out. I opened up the old power supply and the 2 large capacitors were blown. Might of also been a bad power supply as the both were from the same company that blew. This one is another outfit and runs much quieter. Glad it didn't cook something on the motherboard also. So, all is back running and other than some down time, no harm done. Took the time to blow it all out in there with the compressor and clean it all up while I had it down.

I still run Windows Pro XP here. Its been a very stable platform for me and what I ask of the system. Vista is not that big of a change over XP, or at least not enough for me to go there yet. When I finally update the entire system I will then probably get it with the Vista OS. For a browser I use Explorer 6, Firefox and Opera. I'm looking at the new Chroem Google one but I don't' like that they set it up to upload stuff to it when they choose. I prefer that to be my choice.

I have a system here running on PC Linux OS also. Very stable also. More and more people are working with it and there is a lot more software out not that will run with it. Its FREE to download. The hardest part is they re-worded a lot of stuff your used to in Windows so it has a small learning curve to it. Did I mention it was FREE. I enjoy not filling the Microsoft coffers any more with my money. Unless you have Windows version 3 million 526, your still a guine pig for testing. It took me a long time to move from the DOS prompt to Windows 3.1 I liked knowing what was going on in the machine and where it all went.

My deal with smooth running software is compatability for my ham radio software and GPS programs.

Anyhow only blocked 3 arteries and heart still working so I'm good to go. With the PC down I waxed the truck with all my additional free time at lunch and dinner.