Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Shooting weddings.........

JB(MS)

The redneck wedding photo Royal linked to in a post below brought to mind a wedding I shot about 20 years ago. I ran into some rather odd situations at weddings but that one takes the prize for being strange.

A lady came to my house on the 29th of May in 1986 and asked me to do photos of her son's wedding at 1 p.m. on the seventh of June, which was a week from the following Saturday. She said her son was 22 and Stacie, the bride to be, was 21. They had been dating for 5 years, her son had been trying to get her to marry him for the last 3 years and she had finally said yes. I agreed to do the wedding, and told her I would be at the rehearsal to layout the guidelines for taking the photos.

They were getting married in a country church several miles east of here and the rehearsal was on the Friday night before the wedding. When I got there something didn't seem just right. The groom, the best man, groomsmen and the grooms parents were sitting on the left side of the church, the bride, her father and her wedding court were all sitting on the right side of the church. Both groups were talking among themselves, but not to the other group. The groom was happy but the bride and her father looked highly pi$$ed off, and the bridesmaid and other girls in the wedding were talking in whispers.

I gathered everyone that was going to be in the photos together and told them what time each group had to be dressed and ready for photos the next morning, that I would be bossy because as many photos as were required we had to be on time, be dressed for the wedding and stay in a group as there wouldn't be time to hunt anyone. The bride's mother wasn't there, another oddity.

My oldest daughter sometimes helped me do weddings and went with me. We got there at 9:30 and I started taking photos of the bride and her court at 9:45 but ran into problems right away. The bride wouldn't smile and her mother was like a crazy woman, bitching and griping nonstop. My daughter gave the mother a stern woman to woman talk and she settled down, but neither her or the bride smiled for any photo. Neither the bride or her mother talked to any of the other girls, or each other, and the others were still whispering to each other. None of them talked to the brides father.

I had told the guys in the wedding to be there at 11:30, I was counting on being through with the girls by 11 but I barely got through by the time the guys arrived. Fortunately the guys were easy to work with, the groom was happy as a lark, all of them cooperated and everything went smoothly and seemed normal. We got the photos done without any problems.

The wedding went okay, but when the minister presented them as man and wife and announced there would be a reception in the fellowship hall everyone in the church except the bride, groom and his parents got up and left, including the minister. My daughter and I followed the bride and groom into the fellowship hall and got the required photos there. I managed to get a small smile from the bride during the toast, but that was the only time she smiled. When the reception photos were finished there wasn't anyone there to catch the brides bouquet so they got in the grooms car and left my daughter and I at the church with Allen's parents, but as we were putting the camera equipment in the van several women came back to help clean the fellowship hall. On the way home my daughter remarked that something was terribly wrong, I agreed.

When the photos came back from the lab a couple of weeks later I called the grooms mother and she came to get them. The first thing she said when she got here was that she felt she owed us an explanation about the wedding. I told her it was a very strange wedding but it was none of my business unless she just wanted to tell us. She said she would feel better if she did and told us what was wrong.

As she had said before, her son had been trying to get Stacie to marry him for three years but she wouldn't. However, Stacie had found out three weeks before the wedding that she was pregnant and had told Allen and both of their parents but said she still wasn't going to marry Allen. Stacie's father got mad and told her she was going to marry Allen and give the baby a name whether she wanted to or not. Her mother got mad at her father, told him she wouldn't allow Stacie to get married and started cursing at him. He told them that if he had to whip the whole damm bunch she was going to marry Allen. Stacie didn't agree but started making wedding plans, her mother got even madder and wouldn't talk to either Stacie or her father.

On Wednesday before the wedding Allen was washing his car in the yard, Stacie's mother pulled in the drive, got out and started cursing him. He tried to calm her down but she got madder and started hitting him with her fists, he backed against the car and covered his face but she kept swinging. Allen's mother heard the racket, looked out the window, saw what was happening and ran outside and tackled the woman. They were rolling around in the yard fighting and one of the neighbors called the police. They didn't live far from the police station and were still fighting when the police got there. Both were arrested and taken to jail.

It just happened that when Allen and his father went to get his mother out of jail they arrived at the same time as Stacie and her father, who were there to get her mother out. When they let the two women out, the fussing started again while they were still in the police station. A couple of the policemen were trying to calm the women down but wasn't having much luck until Stacie let out a long, loud scream and then yelled for everyone to shut up. She then told them she had enough, she was going to marry Allen but as soon as the wedding was over she was going to commit suicide, and the next day she told the minister and the others invovled in the wedding. That's where it stood when the wedding took place.

The last I heard, a few months later, Stacie's mother and father were in the process of getting a divorce because of the wedding, but were trying to reconcile. Stacie didn't commit suicide. She had the baby, three years later another one and she and Allen lived together for 11 years before divorcing.

Back in my wilder days I once crashed a wedding in Green Bay Wis. I was with a guy that knew the bride and groom. The fact that we were drunk, or at least on our way and dressed in Jeans made us stand out a bit but we were having fun and they excepted us.

The thing that stood out about the whole reception was when the mother of the Bride and the Mother of the groom got in a hair puller on the dance floor. It was hillarious!! At least to me it was. I did not know anyone there. The only person I could remember later was the Bride, Patisy. She was georgous and that was back in the days when wimmin were natural, not designs of the plastic surgeon.

I told Bill, my buddy, that there was no way that marrage was gonna work.

It didn't. The next year when I went up there to work in the cannery they were divorced. I dated her but there is nothing about that relationship I could possibly post here :D

Thanks for a interesting story, as is usual and waking up an exciting memory in me

And did the two sets of parents ever reconcile with each other ? Be pretty hard on the grandkids if the rand parents were sniping at each other..

Sunny skies

M

Chalk that one up for posterity! :rofl:

Dave

There were no easy ones, only a couple of others approached that one in being strange but I never like doing any weddings. That's probably why there wasn't any easy ones for me.

Would have like to have seen the hair pulling contest, funny story Royal:). The mothers didn't get near each other at the church but they surely did some hard staring at each other.

Was that you used a camera instead of a M-60 machine gun. How can you shoot women and children? Simple. You don't lead them as much.

sounds like one of those times for you! Were the photos already paid for, or did they ever pay you?

I have done a few weddings, but I always get really nervous, thinking no one will like them! All the different poses you have to take, takes a lot of time and you need everyone's cooperation. Sounds to me like you and your daughter had your hands full.

I have to ask, was the bride in the traditional long white dress? This just kills me, but I am from the old school.

I bet you were glad when this was all over, and I also had another thought. When you clear away all the baggage, sounds to me like the bride and groom were happier. Oh well, they stayed together and that's what counts.

This was both a funny, but sad wedding to photograph. Wonder what they will think when their grandchildren look at the photos and wonder why all the frowny faces! :lol: