Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sharks attracted to Metal Detectors??????

Hatz

I heard that sharks are attracted to electronics in the water. So since I'm going to be heading off to the Florida beaches in a couple of weeks with my new Excal, I was wondering if anyone out there has had any encounters w/ sharks while detecting.???

black tip hung in my coil for about 3 sec one time..only about 18" long..i jumped back and pulled my Croc's off in the sand! dug them out and hunted the wet sand the rest of the day!

If you ever see a helicopter cam shot of the sea/beach on the popular florida beaches there are loads of sharks swimming all around and near bathers. Most people just dont see them or know they are there.
When I lived in Fl and used to go over to the Cocoa area detecting I have seen shark fins break the water within 6 foot of me when I have been in near waste deep. Never bothered me. No Great Whites that side.
Most are just 2 - 6 footers and when someone does get bitten its usually an accident. They are just hunting bait fish and see a hand or foot and grab it.

I hunt both COASTS of Florida, and to my knowledge, I have NOT ENCOUNTERED A SHARK as of YET!! I REALLY DON'T WANT TO!!! But, I TRY TO
REMAIN CONSTANTLY on my GUARD, but NEVER FORGET, YOU'RE IN THEIR BACKYARD!! I also Water Detect the ocean and saltwater bays in the
MID-ATLANTIC Region, and I am CONSTANTLY IN MURKY WATER!! So, TRY TO STAY AROUND OTHER BATHERS without Invading Their SPACE!! It's
NOT FULL-PROOF, but ALSO BE PREPARED to use your Long Handled Stainless Steel SCOOP as a WEAPON if you GET THE OPPORTUNITY!! I also
try NOT TO GO BEYOND WASTE DEEP WATER!! Hope this helps!! I'll be leaving for a month of water detecting in Florida right after EASTER!!
Les Robinson

There is a mounted 7 1/2 ft Hammerhead in my loft that I caught at Ft Lauderdale 6 years ago. After that I decided hunting with my feet in no more than 6 inches of water while at the ocean was the right way to go.

Hello Hatz,

Yes, watch yourself!
Few years back one of our customers (Sarasota resident) was in the water off Siesta Key when "a small shark" latched onto his Excalibur.
He had to push and pull and eventually the shark let go but Gene was fairly shaken up as the trashing the detector got went through his body.
At a different beach, Longboat Key, I was chest deep in the water on a Sunday afternoon and "something" came in quickly and I guess did a U-turn which knocked me backwards and I'm guessing it was a shark coming in for a look! I didn't stay around to see for sure and high-tailed it back to the beach!
Local News TV shows footage of dozens of sharks a few meters offshore at regular intervals thru the year...there are some 'known hot spots' around the State and Sarasota is one of them.

Enjoy the Sunshine State: wish I was there as well as this is the best time of year as it's not so hot yet...and Good Hunting

Des Dunne
Minelab

Aw common guys!

Where is your sense of adventure? Your all going to die one day anyway right?

Why not doing something you really enjoy!

You chances of being fish food is far less than dying in a car accident.

All the good stuff is in the water for the most part so go for it.

I just hope you do not read about me in the news because I'm in Sarasota and will be in the water. Oh man....I just jinxed myself........
Nevermind........:stretcher: