Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SERIOUS PROBLEMS WITH DETECTOR NEED HELP

metaltaylor4

Lately I have been having a discrimination problem. I would hit a target like a good coin signal and go to dig it. After digging some holes sometimes up to 9 inches, I would find the target and it would be junk every time. I have my discrimination set to reject pull tabs both kinds of caps, and nails but accept coins and jewelry. So I would dig this hole, and find a piece of junk when it was like a good 00 28 00 27. One time I found a nail and was so confused by it. I took the nail and ran it under the coil and it clearly discriminated it out with a null. I would then run my coil over the hole and completely lost my signal. There was nothing there. I tried all angles all speeds and no signal was coming from the hole. This has happened to me for at least 12 holes now. I am so lost cuz it almost seems as if my detector is picking up junk in the ground but when I dig it out it discriminates it out and I receive no signal from the junk. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

One last question. I just bought the sunray x-1 probe and it doesn't seem to match up with my discrimination on my SE Pro. I accept coins for instance in my pattern but if i wave a penny in front of the probe when its turned on it will NOT pick it up. Why is this so?

Please help! ;)

n/t

I've found my Explorer works best in Iron Mask -10. Then I hear nearly everything except serious iron. Granted, the audio is a lot busier, and you have to mental wade through the signals. But after a couple of weeks running it like this, you'll be pulling up targets you've been missing. Another advantage of using this setting is that it's Sunray X-1 friendly. If you feel the discriminate mode is better for you, you may want to consider switching over to "pinpoint" mode when you use your probe. Then you will be certain you won't miss your target - of course, this just dumbs down the probe so it acts like the cheaper ones.

HH,
David

Dont ya wish the darn things would work like they do on the TV commercials? All metal detector lie. Its your job to figger out when they are lying & when they're telling the truth. That comes with experience..Different coils & the probe will give ya slightly different IDs as you have already learned ..You have one of the most truthful detectors available Listen to the tones & the quality of the tones.. If you are not digging an occasional nail you're not doing your
job.. If you are digging too many nails back down your sensitivity & gain settings to see what it takes to make them disappear.. I also recommend running the smartfind screen & a much looser disc pattern or iron mask mode.. There all all kinds of clues in the tones, listen to them.. ...wildherre

Thanks for the tips guys. Although my mind is still blurry about the fact that I will dig a junk target pass it through my coil and it nulls it out. But then the signal in the whole disappears...Why would it pick it up in the ground but not in the air?

That is common with small iron, nail especially. When you dig the target, you break the halo.
Now the nail is nulled out. Some nails will sound sweet and some will squeak.
As for your discrimination, I feel you are using too much.
You need to dig all clean repeatable signals and learn your machine.
I start most out in iron mask 22 Facory setting and conductive sounds.
I also like variability at 9. This lets those nails and hot rocks to squeak a higher pitch than coins.
All this is just my opinion. Above all relax and have fun.
NH Bob.

The reason you get that sweet sound in the ground is the iron bounce which causes wrap around. Once its out of the ground it no longer has the factors that cause it. Like minerals, sensitivity, moisture.... and depth. The deeper the target the more the target average is affected.... that average being the target and things around it.

Dew

Just to add to the previous comments .... External interference can also have a significant impact on how your machine responds. Power lines, transmitters, and even solar activity can interact with the signal reflected back from the target. A strong interference signal is usually quite noticeable and may cause the machine to go bonkers. However, weak interference can be more subtle and the effects may not be immediately obvious. Your detector will average all of the signals received regardless of source and report what it thinks it hears. I always like to noise cancel before I start detecting. Sometimes this will help minimize skewing effect of any interference that may be floating around. If you find that your detector is reponding differently when you are hunting in different areas and it's not related to ground conditions ... then this may be a contributing factor.

DD

wow thank you everyone for the replies. at first i thought there was something wrong with it because it was hole after hole after hole. I will try to set the iron mask next time also I have not checked that out yet thanks again.

I like the tin foil idea. I wonder if it would shield me from the interference I get from my wife when I spend too much time detecting.

A couple tips that really helped me out when I started using the Explorer.

First off, do reduce your discrimination as folks said. Use iron mask at around -11 or about an eight to a quarter of an inch blacked out on the left side of the screen. Set your sensitivity around 26 or as high as possible while the machine remains stable.

When you get a good sounding signal (say facing West), turn 90 deg.(facing North) and check it again. If you get a nice solid signal both ways (each direction) then 97% of the time it will not be iron. If you only get the good signal one way (facing West) and a null when you turn and check at 90 deg. then it is most likely a false signal off of iron. You can do a pinpoint over the target and once you have it pinpointed, do a small 3 inch sweep directly over the target. This will give you the most accurate signal. Turn 90 deg. and try it again... Iron also tends to pinpoint slightly off from where it sounded like it was in regular mode.

Another thing that sometimes works if the signal is sort of ok each way but you still suspect iron. Pinpoint the target, then stomp on the ground where the target is. Also remove any sticks or debris first. If you compress the soil even a quarter inch, sometimes that will make the difference. Recheck the spot. If it is good the signal will get better if bad - worse.

Some spots have way too much iron for a beginner to detect without getting confused. If the machine is nulling out constantly you are going to have a hard time detecting much but shallow targets and/or iron falses.

If you have a beach around, go there and dig up some regular money (maybe jewelry). Beaches are usually not too iron infested, you can dig easily and there are a variety of targets. Try it to learn what the coins really sound like.

Hope this helps. Take care and HH - BF

BF has some good advice.... even thou i get this picture of him in the park stomping the heck out of the ground while others look on:hot:

Dew