Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sensitivity control

findit

where do you run your sensitivity to get the best depth? i read where someone runs theirs at 25% to get the best depth. you would think as high as possible would give you more depth

Hi Findit,

I believe that running your sensitivity as high as possible will yield the best depth.

That being said, some of the units I've used are more susceptible to loosing depth as the sensitivity is turned down than others.

On the Cibola, considerable depth can be added by turning the sensitivity all the way up, or "super tuning".

That doesn't work the same way on the Silver Sabre uMax.

The Silver will not "super tune' well and gets almost as much depth when the sensitivity is turned to 25% as it does at 85% . It gets a little more depth when you turn it up to 100% but not like the Cibola. The Silver can be too noisy to hunt effectively when the sensitivity is set to high.

I think most of the units that run in the 10kHz range and use the uMax coils tend to loose less depth when the sensitivity is turned down. You can turn the sensitivity down and still have enough sensitivity to detect small gold. This helps because the coil is not affected as much by metal objects to the side like metal post or re-bar. It also allows you to pick up targets in trashy areas easier because it reduces the foot print a little.

That's the way I see it,

What really rules how high you can set your sensitivity is the stability. In my experience, yes, setting the sensitivity high usually yields the best depth, but if you're getting a lot of falsing or chattering then you really should set the sensitivity low enough to eliminate the problem or you're more likely to miss the deeper signals.

We've all experienced driving in heavy fog and having the fog reflect too much light when high beam is used to be able to see well enough to drive safely. Switching to low beam penetrates the fog farther and results in being able to see much better. The same basic effect applies to how much sensitivity can be run for optimum results. Setting the sensitivity too high for the ground conditions can result in overloading the receive circuits, creating a "fog" effect that results in noise and loss of depth. Ground conditions should always determine the sensitivity setting.

I have had times where I ran the sensitivity down to absolute minimum - any more and I would be turning the machine off.
It did better than I would have thought - if fact I think I did this on the last time I used the Cortes in a trashy nail infested area using the 5.75 coil and used all metal mode - sensitivity between minimum and 6 - fun to see what it can do.
So at minimum, it still did better than I expected. Might try the same sometime on the Silver uMax just for kicks.
I have tried the super tune with the Cibola a few times and it does add depth.

[size=medium]is tied in with the motion Disc. mode, only. It has little or no effect on All Metal mode performance.

Just a reminder for some readers.

Monte
[/size]

I know on the Eldorado uMax in all metal there seems to be no difference in depth with a minimum setting as compared to a max setting in sensitivity.

[quote JB(MS)]We've all experienced driving in heavy fog and having the fog reflect too much light when high beam is used to be able to see well enough to drive safely. Switching to low beam penetrates the fog farther and results in being able to see much better. The same basic effect applies to how much sensitivity can be run for optimum results. Setting the sensitivity too high for the ground conditions can result in overloading the receive circuits, creating a "fog" effect that results in noise and loss of depth. Ground conditions should always determine the sensitivity setting.[/quote]

very informative post. thank you.

I have a Vaquero and am relatively new with it (not with detecting) and I think I just today figured out that holding down the pinpoint button and adjusting the sens so that there is no waiver in the threshold results in the best stability. (you have to hold the coil very still while doing that).

Any comments on that?

the sensitivity setting is up to the user and how much noise they can put up with and still find targets. Some like it noisy and some prefer quiet.

Tom

I like JB's comparison to headlites in the fog.

Overload is too much and counterproductive.

Tab, how deep were you digging at lowest sensitivity? in what kind of soil? and what targets were produced?

Wish I had kept records all the years I've been raising a cloud of dust. A periodic review of them would probably see me producing more today.

I think Gunnar said it in a post in a way that illustrates what I was talking about.

Gunnar sold his M-6 and got a Cibola.

One of the things he liked about the Cibola was that he could turn the sensitivity down and hunt the top 3 or 4 inches. Clean that out and then turn the sensitivity up and go deeper and clean that out. Then he could super tune and go even deeper.

That way he could over come masking without trying to do the whole thing all at once.

He then sold the Cibola and bought a Silver Umax. One of the things that disappointed him about the Silver was that if he turned the sensitivity down it went just as deep as it did when the sensitivity was set high.

I have a story I tell.

The first hunt with my Silver Sabre Max is a place I take every detector to try it out. It is the most hunted park in AR. The spot is rocky but the rocks are mostly round and the ground doesn't have too much clay so I can dig it without a hart attack.

The first good signal I got was loud and clear. I had to dig 18'' in that rocky mess to retrieve this brass bell.
Bell-1.jpg

It's a bell off an antique mary-go-round that was there many years ago. It's been restored and is now in the LR Zoo.

Next I got a signal about a foot and a half from the bell. I dug and dug. After finding the bell I thought the thing would go to China.:blink:

I kept digging until the hole from the bell fell into the new hole. Before long I was standing in a two foot deep hole that I could swing my coil in and I was still getting a signal.

I decided to check the signal with my Cibola. The Cibola was quiet as a mouse.:blink:

I turned the sensitivity down a little on the Silver and the signal was gone:blink:

That's when I realized that the sensitivity didn't work the same on the Silver as it did on the Cibola.

I'm still impressed with the depth of both those units.

But for some reason I didn't find that bell with four other detectors including the Cibola. I went over that same spot Several times.

With all of Silver's short comings, it's a true hunter.

HH,

Not to get a sleeping dog awaken, I feel one should run the sensitivity control as high as possible without getting a bunch of chatter or falsing. Set this way SHOULD give you the best depth on any machine.

HH

GaryL .... :tesoro::detecting: