Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sensitivity and depth sound question is this normal?

Still-looking

Question: When conducting some air tests with my explorer se I noticed that when it is in auto sensitivity mode there is very little if any volume difference when I hold a target close to or farther away from the coil. In fact I am unable to get a response when target is more than 4 or so inches away. When I do get thel tones (set to smooth) they sound equally loud. In fact now that I think about it when in auto sensitivity tone volumes all seemed to be about the same regardless of target distance from coil. HOWEVER When manual sensitivity is chosen suddenly I am able to detect the target at a greater distance from the coil AND there is a corresponding volume drop as if the target is audible but at a distance (which is what I would expect). Is this normal?

Auto sensitivity and air testing don't mix because there is no ground for the SE to adjust and lock on to. Manual locks the sensitivity to one spot so you CAN hear the difference. Also you didn't say what your gain was set at......the lower the setting, the more difference you will hear as well.

What Larry says.
The Explorer can do rather bad on the air tests.. But it doesn't matter, most of your coins/finds don't fly around!:rofl:
I noticed it does rather well in the ground compared to the air.

The Auto sensitivity will let the detector choose the sensitivity setting and it often sets it lower then needed, and as such it will not give you maximum depth out if it.

As Larry says when in Manual YOU choose the sensitivity level and the detector will not change it.

Hope this helps,
Eu

Yes thanks for all the info on the air tests.. I was running with gain set at 6 then 7... some other interesting updates if anyone is still following this thread... I noticed that after awhile the detector would become extremely erratic with target signals skipping all around the screen. I would do a factory reset and lo and behold quiet again with just the threshold hum. After awhile it begins to act up again.. I am wondering if this is just because I am air testing the unit as opposed to actually detecting with it but I gave the unit a good looking over (after cleaning dirt from between the coil cover) and I noticed that the screws on the control housing look as if they have been torqued on by a screwdriver! This is **supposed to be** a new unit! I purchased it from Kellyco for quite a sum (as I am sure you all know) and they simply told me to call minelab! I don't know If I am freaking out about nothing or what here! I called minelan's number got a recording which told me to leave a message then was promptly hung up on! Not too happy about the whole affair right now.. not too happy with Kellyco or Minelab.. I think when I make my next purchase it may be from a different dealer and a different detector. Any suggestions or ideas?

Sounds like you're near an interference source which also explains your poor depth with auto-sens. on. If you turn auto-sens. off and run your sensitivity to a high number you'll probably introduce the erratic behavior sooner. I'd be suprised if you need a factory reset. Try an noise cancel and see if suddenly your depth increases and the erratic behavior goes away.

I have tried a noise cancel but the problem is only corrected part of the time and then not completely. A factory reset always seems to clear the problem. Also a few other items of note...I once had to do a noise cancel and reduce sensitivity to 1 in order to get the target id from skipping around. Perhaps you are right.. I could be near an RFI source as simply turning the TV on or off seems to set the detector off. When turning auto sens off and pushing the sens. higher I do get the expected interference.. maybe I am just being oversensitive myself but then why does a factory reset quiet the machine down so quicly when noise cance and lowering man sens. does not? I don't know.. I did try this.. I put the detector into man sens and adjusted it until there was no noise and then carefully placed it in a position where it was only producing a threshold hum. I then left it there for about five minutes and it did seem relatively stable. I guess it is just really hard knowing for sure when there is no way of actually going out and trying to actually detect (7 inches of snow). I guess I will know for sure in the spring when I go out again. If need be I have an old tesoro silver saber u-max that I could use as a backup if the unit has to be sent to minelab. I guess seeing those screws with the stripped heads got me to thinking that this unit was a factory refurb and if it was then what other problems might it have. Kellyco denied anywrongdoing so perhaps they are comming refurbished out of the factory and being sold as new becasue it did come with a complete warranty plus a 2 year extended service plan. Thank god I filled out all that product registration stuff when I first got the detector. I guess I just want the thing to be perfect for the amount of money I spent.. of course I could always use it as an excuse to go out and buy another LOL!:clap:

You will have to get the Explorer out of the house and away from power sources for any meaningful analysis of what is going on.
Explorers go nuts inside a house because of TV's, power outlets, electric motors, etc.
If you run up the sens to about 25 and use a cleared screen, you will more than likely see the cursor jumping around wildly and hear random tones near or in your house.
If you can, go out where powerlines are far enough away and conduct your tests, even with powerlines fairly close by can cause interference.
Sens. will need to be lowered when around powerlines but the Explorer can still make good finds.
If you still experiencing instability well away from power sources then you may have a problem with your detector.
At this point it is a matter of the process of elimination to find out what is going on.
Hope this helps,
HH

yes thanks this does help alot. since it is so cold out I don't think I can do any meaningful test until spring. I will take your advice thanks for reading and replying to the post... it is just so hard to wait

I have to agree its the sensitivity. Anytime in the house i switch to auto sensitivity and go down to say 10. Many of the times i just use the X-1 probe to do testing, its easier and more stable. Ive found every so often RESETTING the machine along with a noise cancel does help in places im having trouble detecting in. Sounds like EMI there is all kind of EMI in a house ... includeing the house. I have a problem even getting cell phone in my house.

I must admit it was an eye opened to see how sensistive the unit was to emi . I guess different kinds of emi produce different kinds of responses in the unit. I did notice that when running the unit in AM node it seemed to suddenly get alot noiser. However applying the slightest bit of Iron Mask seemed to stop the noise.. again this was only temporary and did not work consistently. When things do not work consistently I get worried! anyhow...

all of this makes me wonder if Minelab is fixing units that have been returned as defective and shipping them out again as new...I don't care as long as the unit comes with the full warranty (which it did). When I called kellyco about it they told me to call Minelab even though I had bought the rig from them 3 months ago.

Thats pretty common STILL for electronic equipment. Very few dealers have their own warranty or do warranty work. Even best buy will tell you once they sell you something all warranty work will be thru the producer. Hope you get comfortable with it, its not for everyone, but its a great machine once you learn it.

Don't get me wrong I love the machine.. I just want to get every penny out of my purchase! I took it out today (it was 20 degrees out) and it seemed to be running pretty hot. I couldnt walk a foot or two without it singing! Most of those tones were repeatable so it makes me wonder if my yard is littered with Iron. I did notice that I would get a threshold blanking even in all metal mode with no apparent target detected. That was after a factory preset. I also noted that the target id numbers were jumping around quite a bit but I am thinking that it might be the frozen ground. I then took the unit out again and ran in auto sens at 20 or 22 and it was relatively quiet so who knows,,, every time I go into manual it starts to go Berzerk. I guess my fear is one of lack of consistency in response. do you mean to say that it is common for manufacturers to refurbish equipment and then sell it as new? I hope not! Only 60 days left till we start getting the warmer weather. I dont know about you guys but I like the smooth setting on the tone response. seems a little easier on my ears.

I recommended the Explorer to a couple of folks but one of them was having a hard time catching on to figuring out the tones, etc. I tried my best to get him thru some of his problems, only thing was he was a new user of the Explorer and was taking it to one of trashiest areas he could find and then telling me his problems. Haha, I tried to get him to ease into more difficult situations but he didn't understand.
After this I decided to tell people what I like but that doesn't necessary mean they will do well with it or like it, lessen learned:biggrin:.
From now on I tell them if they can learn the Explorer, they have a top-notch detector, if they are unwilling to put in their time learning it, they are better off with simpler unit.

BTW, I wasn't directing the last post to any one person, only it takes some extra time to learn the Explorer compared to many other detectors, some do well with it right away, for others it takes more time.
HH

ok for a minute there I thought you meant me.. since that isn't the case let me throw this question out.. how do you think an 8 inch concentric coil might compare to the stock DD coil on the pro? I was thinking it might do better in trashy areas and with the pinpointing. It might even generally stabilize (for want of a better word) the machine. What do you guys think..?

The smaller coils offer advantages, they do better in trash for sure especially iron trash, can run sens higher, it is less susceptible to interference and they pinpoint much better(and most of them are lighter than the stock coil).
There isn't much info on the concentric, it doesn't appear that many use it, I haven't used one.
I have the 5" Exc. coil and it works fantastic in trashy areas and pinpoints really well.
I had a 8" ML but sold it, didn't see anything it would do that the stock could do also.
The guys up north are having really good success with the new 6" Exc., I have a friend that should get one in a week or 2 so I will know more about it soon.
If I were going to get a small coil, it would either be the 5" or 6" Exc but this is just my opinion.
Depth should be better on the 6" than the 5".
HH