Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Selling finds hassles

CliffHanger

The day before yesterday, 02/20/07, I took this 22 inch long, 14.8 gram .9999 24k Thai gold necklace (see photos) I found with my Lobo ST, to one of the finest jewelry stores in the city to be appraised. They said, "Offer it for $500 if you want to sell it." It is in new condition. I put the price of $499 on eBay and Craig's List. No bids on eBay and one hit on Craig's List that read, "I am going to send you a $700 money order from Africa for your gold necklace and for shipping and insurance. Send me your PayPal information." I replied, "Yeah, right!.. In your dreams!"
I went to a local jewelry/pawn shop to see if they had the same necklace and at what price. They indeed had the same style and brand necklace but 3 inches longer and weighing 15 grams. Their price, $600. I did not mention I had virtually the same necklace. $600 for their necklace works out to $40 a gram. That being the case my necklace by weight, in that shop is worth $592, if my math is correct.
After I left that shop I took the necklace to another pawn shop down the street and asked what they would give me for it. Their answer - $125. I wonder what price they would sell it for? And I wonder how much the jewelry/pawn shop selling their necklace for $600 paid for it?
I took the 10k diamond ring (see photo) to a different pawn shop. After telling me it was indeed a diamond the guy offered to pawn it for $40 or buy it for $50. I said "no thanks." I returned to that same pawn shop a few days later to find out what kind of stones were in a couple of other rings I had found. There was a different guy there this day. I asked him about this same diamond ring. After checking it he said "yes, it's a diamond" and offered me $20 for it. I wonder what this shop would sell this ring for? This was in Jan 07.
I took the gold grill with 34 diamonds (see photo) along with some other gold to a jewelry store for appraisal, twice within five weeks. The first time the offer for the grill was $100, the second time $44. In the same store in five weeks the price dropped by more than half. This was in Sept - Oct of 06. Perhaps the price of gold is why the big difference in price.
I guess the moral is to do your homework and keep plugging because it's always reasonable to expect a fair price for what you have to sell and because someone dictates a price does not mean that is the only price.
All the best
Cliffhanger
[attachment 49046 Chain.JPG]
[attachment 49047 Chain9999.JPG]
[attachment 49048 DiamondRing.JPG]
[attachment 49049 Grill02.JPG]

so you are out of luck if you want to resale diamonds. The whole diamond thing is a gimmick.

Getting you money out of gold is best done through one of the refiners. At least that way you can get gold pricing for it, less a small fee of couse.

HH

When you get scam e-mail just mark it as spam or delete it.

If you respond you will be sure to get more.

Here's a way to sell your finds:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,475714,475714#msg-475714
Check out this posting on the beach & water hunting on this same site...God speed !!

When I bought my Tejon with extra 5.75" coil, I paid $400 plus a gold chain for it.

Yesterday, I picked up a NIB Compadre for $50 and some gold rings.

Smaller lady's silver rings etc. I often sell here at work to these married guys for a few dollars. Not getting rich, but getting better than scrap value for 'em.

On cash deals, you can often whittle the price down a little if you're willing to throw in a fistful of Gold!

Skillet

It's not just jewelry. I was looking into buying a hammer drill. I stop at Lowe's and check pricing. I then go to the local pawn shop. I see the same hammer drill offered for $25.00 more than Lowe's wanted for a new one. A guy come over and asks if I need help. I tell him that this exact drill is at Lowe's for much less. He said well make me an offer. I said give me your bottom dollar. He said he couldn't. I said I didn't buy like that. When I looked at the rest of the store all the prices were inflated. I saw VCR's for $100.00 I say to be ware and make sure you know your pricing before entering a pawn shop.

Sorry guys...this site didn't post the full link...ck out the beach & water forum & look back a few days for the thread on the gold refineries...some guys have sold there stuff thur/to them and seem pleased with there cut...Good Luck ! Dale W

Good post Roper...

Midwest gets my "ordinary" gold jewelry, mens bands, damaged rings and so forth. If you have an unusually nice piece then Ebay can be the way to go but you have to be careful and do take a risk of not getting a fair price. Never sell to pawn shops or any place that has to make their own profit on the resale. Some, but not all "estate" jewelers will give a better price on diamond rings than what you would get from selling on ebay. As Mike H posted diamonds are tough! Best to sell to friends or advertise in the local paper.

Tom