Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sea Rocks from the Texas Gulf Coast...............

Kelley (Texas)

When I use to visit my folks in Portland, Texas on the Gulf Coast, I loved to walk down to the water and see what was washed up on shore. I use to find old bottles, fishing floats, and all types of trash. One day I noticed that there were lots of stones in the water, all different colors. I gathered up a bucket full and brought them home. After they dried out, they were not very colorful, looked like they had a dirty film on them. I took about two dozen of them and put them in a rock tumbler for several days to see if it would clean them and bring back the pretty colors...it worked. I used plain old sand as the cleaning agent, no soap or anything else. I have always wondered if these rocks are the same ones that we find on land in creek beds or out in the fields...I assume that they probably are, but not sure. I have also always wondered if gem stones ever wash up on the shore, but then again I really do not know if I would recognize a gem stone because I know so little about them. I figured that some of you folks would be interested in seeing these rocks that came from the sea. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 147457 searocks_1.jpg]

[attachment 147458 searocks_2.jpg]

[attachment 147463 searocks_5.jpg]

[attachment 147460 searocks_7.jpg]

[attachment 147461 searocks_9.jpg]

[attachment 147462 searocks_4.jpg]

Hi Fred,

They are pretty things!

The bays around where I lived between Port Lavaca and Palacios didn't have any stones to speak of.

Lots of oyster shells, but no stones except the occasional stone point of one kind or another.

Nice pics Friend,

CJ

n/t

n/t

got around to getting a rock tumbler. Nice work there! What medium do you use in the tumbler? The case tumbler in my reloading equipment uses Walnut shell, would it work on rocks?