Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sea Hunter Setup Question

brobox

Setting up a new Sea Hunter Mark II the "Standard Trash Elimination" selection is so noise, I could not use it. I went back and reviewed the video again and noticed on the video the Sea Hunter was falsing in "Standard Trash Elimination" and "Monty" had to switch to "Discrete Trash Elimination" to get an even , smooth threshold.

The question is...is the "Standard Trash Elimination" even usable?

Thanks,
Chuck

From the land of the Bluenose......always use me Seahunter MK11 in standard mode and notch discrim to 0 and then slightly turn back. Check your coin and attachment. Good luck as its a great water machine sir.

Even the demo video has the falsing until the unit is switched to the "Discrete Trash Elimination". Maybe the Standard mode does not work this far south :shrug:

All connections have been checked and the seals silicone as per the instructions. My hunting partner also has a Sea Hunter and has the same condition with his, can only hunt in Discrete mode.

My hunting partner said the same thing with his SH. He has to turn the discrimination up to 3 in Discrete mode before it stops falsing. I guess that is the nature of the beast. At least I have a better idea of the setup now if that is common to the SH.

Thanks

Chuck

The Sea Hunter in Standard Discrimination, is a true PI machine, it isn't falsing per se it is ready the tiny variations (minerals) in the ground, it is just that sensitive. I usually turn my disc up to until most of that goes away but never over 3 (just my preference). You will have to learn to listen to it, it is, once you get used to it, a very good and sensitive machine in Standard Mode. In Discrete Mode it is not a true PI machine as the field is digitally filtered and therefore has a smooth TH, no where near as sensitive. I am not knocking the Discrete Mode, but you will miss some of the deep stuff, IF that is what you are after. Most people it seems may not be willing to dig three feet to find half a dozen aluminum cans at the beach like I have done with mine in Standard Mode. Bottom line is the "Unstable" TH in Standard is not really unstable at all it is reading the ground as a good PI should, so just turn up the disc until it is bearable to you personally, but like the manufacturer suggests never over 3. Don't think of the disc as a notch discrimination either or you might be mislead, the more you turn it up the more it will disc out, unlike a notch that discs out only a certain frequency at a time but leaves the rest open above and below the setting. Good luck with your SH, i hope you give it a chance and take the time to get to know it, it will be well worth your time. Oh BTW are you hunting only beach and water with it? If you are trying to use it on dry land, you may want to look at a a different machine, even dry sand beach can be overwhelming with all the junk, depending on how clean your beaches are. :bouncy:

That explanation was just what I was looking for, thank you!!! I will now adjust my hunting accordingly. Now that I know that is a normal action for the SH I will adjust the discrimination as you recommended. The SH will be strictly for water hunting in addition to my Excalibur. For wet or dry sand hunting I normally use my Sovereign GT or one of my other land machines, however I rarely hunt the dry sand.

Thanks again,
Chuck

Mine doesn't do that. It runs good but if there are lots of small pieces of iron trash it will sound like a machine gun, but I don't have the problem you are referring to. Maybe it's the beach? HH

I second the statements made above by Lightstryder and Brobox. If the salt water is not moving up and down the shaft the threshold is pretty steady for the most part. What you are experiencing is the fluctuations in threshold sound not falsing. When you hit a target you will recognize the sound. I hunt in 0 discrimination mode and standard threshold only. Discrete is OK for shallow objects, but I like hearing the change in sound as the coil nears a buried target, plus many targets can be heard in standard that cannot be heard in discrete. I was water hunting today and gave up digging on a target after about 2 feet. this detector goes deep... EZ

and it ran smooth and very deep. I mostly use the Sea Hunter in the water only but the waves were way to rough so I just hunted ankle deep to the shoreline. I only found clad and one fake earring but I was finding pieces of copper wire 12" deep with no problem. The standard mode ran really smooth and I was also finding zinc pennies that were badly corroded 10-12" deep that my excal has problems finding at 8" due to the bad corrosion on them. I want to catch the waves while they are calm so I can wade out waist deep and hunt, hasn't happened yet, way to windy. But just wanted to let you know the standard mode was not noisey at all. BTW, this is a saltwater beach on the Gulf of Mexico. HH

It has been many years since I have used a PI and I have some getting use to, to learn.

Thanks,
Chuck

My sea hunter 2 reacts when I touch the wet sand n standard mode, to counteract this I turn turn up the discrimination but by doing this am I losing depth.

Thanks for all the information all. Hope to get my SH II next week, so all the info should help.

Just bought a used sea hunter mkII, I thought about sending it in to Garrett for a tune up. It is my first pi machine. I have a new AT Pro, but wanted a real salt water machine. What do you think about sending the sea hunter for a tune up?