Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sea Hunter not stable question

brobox

After 20 years, just moved up to a Sea Hunter PI. I have tried to hunt is Standard mode, discrimination set at 3, faint threshold, but at the end of each swing I get a loud "ramp up" tone to the point it is annoying. In Elimination mode it is nice and smooth. Is this normal for the SH? I have about 40 hours on the SH and have been hunting in the Elimination mode due to the noise in standard. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any feedback
Chuck

Hey Chuck,

How does the bottom of the coil look? Are you just running it stock with the 8" mono? If so, there is a possibility of excessive wear to the coils lower surface. When this occurs the unit will become unstable, when the outer plastic housing separates from the OEM epoxy. The coil MUST be coated AND maintained with Loctite Marine Epoxy, bed liner or both. I like to use the epoxy 1st and then coat with bedliner. A couple of coats of each is recommended.

When I ran mine I only used the Standard Trash Elimination and 0 Discrimination and a barely audible threshold. You will get your best performance in that setting. HOWEVER, the unit does have a Threshold rise, when a wave passes by the coil. I would simply wait till the wave passed and continue the swing. Of all the issues I had with the Mark II. Only the coil issue and headphone failure(due to hyperextension of the cabling when knocked off my head by a wave), were the only issues I had with the units. I owned 3 and used them exclusively '04-'05. Hope this addresses your inquirey.

brobox said:
After 20 years, just moved up to a Sea Hunter PI. I have tried to hunt is Standard mode, discrimination set at 3, faint threshold, but at the end of each swing I get a loud "ramp up" tone to the point it is annoying. In Elimination mode it is nice and smooth. Is this normal for the SH? I have about 40 hours on the SH and have been hunting in the Elimination mode due to the noise in standard. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any feedback
Chuck

Hey GH, how's it going and thanks for the feedback.

I am running the 10 X 14 coil that is brand new. That was the first thing I did was check the epoxy seams. This is not a threshold rise from a wave, but a loud ramp up signal at the end of my swing, normally to the left side. I have thrown my scoop over my shoulder, and that didn't do it. If I switch to the Disc. Elimination mode, everything works perfect, nice and stable. I have seen other posts and they don't seem to have a squealing problem like you said with yours. I might have to give Garrett a call on this one as I cannot seem to get it to run stable in the Standard mode. There is no way I could hear a deep target with this ramping up tone.

Thanks for your input.

Chuck

In standard mode 0Disc, They seem to run best in the water, with the coil properly submerged
are you using it in the dry ?

I will let you know how my new coils work on my sea hunter 2 .just sent in 8 inch coil with a crack in it See beach and water section for picture.Swing left gets loud swing right nulls out.Also on your when you use discreete mode my volume is cut down to half.
Not sure if that is normal since i just bought it new in june.Sent the coil in and also ordered the 10x14 which will be here tommorow.Let me know what you think.Wayne

You have a seahunter problem send it in to Garrett. I have clocked a lot of miles on mine, and never had that problem. Marty

Marty I can make it run smooth with disc just under 2 in disc .works ok on beach .I was thinking its just the gulf of mexico salt water.what do ya think?

The only time I have had difficulty with mine was at a beach with a lot of black sand and the water was rough, with lots of sand being swirled around in the surf. It wasn't really a "ramp up" (as I recall), but more of a sense of instability. That was years ago, and it hasn't happened since. Dont know if this helps...... putting it in Discrete mode helps with this sort of problem too.

I figured its the nature of the beast.We do have alot of minerals in the water and it is worst in rough water.If I could not disc it out at about 1 1/2 almost 2. I get better depth with that setting than in diecreate mode.And in the discreate moded is muted in the volume and harder to hear.I am hoping that when the 85 degree water cools off it wont be so bad.It runs smooth on the beach.Thank's for the input ,Wayne

brobox said:
Hey GH, how's it going and thanks for the feedback.

I am running the 10 X 14 coil that is brand new. That was the first thing I did was check the epoxy seams. This is not a threshold rise from a wave, but a loud ramp up signal at the end of my swing, normally to the left side. I have thrown my scoop over my shoulder, and that didn't do it. If I switch to the Disc. Elimination mode, everything works perfect, nice and stable. I have seen other posts and they don't seem to have a squealing problem like you said with yours. I might have to give Garrett a call on this one as I cannot seem to get it to run stable in the Standard mode. There is no way I could hear a deep target with this ramping up tone.

Thanks for your input.

Chuck
Hi Chuck hows it going/working?

3 out every sea hunter is defective, you would think after 15 years or so they would or could fix the problem. (thresh hold never works wright even holding it up in mid air it will chatter) JUNK JUNK JUNK STAY WAY

I dont own a SeaHunter PI but i do use the 8'' and the 14x10'' Mono coils on my Crossbow Pulse,all i had to do was change the coil plug and they work very well,albeit i dont do the beaches but never had any problems with the coil yet.

The reason i chose the SeaHunter ones is the fact that a main dealer over here in the UK had new ones on special offer and also Mono coils are pretty easy to adapt for other Pulse machines.

The main one i use is the great little 8'' one which is not only good for small targets but also gives great depth as well.