Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sea hunter Mk 2 discrimination

coxy34

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help
i have just bought a second hand Garrett sea hunter Mk 2 at a bargain price of

But you will never get "land use" discrimination from that detector.
In all honesty - I hope you want the honest truth as I saw it when I tested that detector- the disc is really not worth much in the water either.
I don't fully understand, but I believe it discs in too large of an increment. When I used it to cut out even small iron, I lost most 14kt engagement rings immediately. In the end, it's just a pi detector, period.
That does not mean you didn't get a good deal, it just means that Garrett did not actually make a discriminating pulse induction machine.

Hello coxy, I have about 2 years of hunt time on the Mark IIs and have owned 3 of the units. There really is no discrimination circuit there. About the best you can hope for would simply be some auditory discrimination, even then it's best to dig any tone with the unit. Don't plan on using it anywhere, but wetsand and in the water though, as the junk will overwhelm you. I have also run the 10X14 and it works OK in the wetsand, but if you are planning on water hunting, forget it! The 10X14 is too hard to control in the waves and will flop all over the place, you will not be able to control it. Use the 8" in the surf, that is the best choice. Here is how to set-up, if you want to find the gold. It is the only way, as far as I'm concerned. Set the Elimination/discrimination to 0 and leave it there, threshold/volume to barely audible and Standard Trash Elimination. That's it, you are set for the gold, now go get some mate! OBTW, be sure to coat the bottom surfaces of the coils with Loctite Marine Epoxy, as the lower surfaces will abraid, due to no coil cover and the unit will begin to false, when the coil splits out. I ran the coil cover on the 10X14 and it was even worse on catching the wave action, even with trimming the port holes out, to relieve the pull. Best of luck to ya mate!

Being a PI machine, that is exactly how it acts. Hind sight being 20-20, I wish I'd never spent the bucks on it--although I did manage to pay for it in a summer with my finds, it was only after dealing with the near-non-existent discrimination. It just made very little difference.

I had arms like a GO-rilla after that summer of digging a ton of junk. If it works ok and up to specs, for what you paid for it, it will still be a 'deal' for you. Just don't expect it to discriminate much. And as others have said, as a land detector, it's just not feasible, mate. Go get you an Ace 250 if you want to go 'good' and 'cheap.'

Have a good time, and make the best of what you have. The sea hunter is capable of finding some great stuff. The coins will keep you going between the jewelery. And the junk? Well, it'll give you somethin' to cuss.

Have a great time and lets see how long it takes you to find enough goodies to pay yourself back. I'll bet that it won't be long. Just remember, it's most at home in the water. That's what it's designed for and that's where you'll find the advantage. Going deeper than the waders can get to will open up great territory, if you dive. <><

aj

Hi everyone thanks for all your help with my question
hopefully i should find some goodies on the beach when i visit in a few weeks time
then i may think about acquiring the ace 250 for land use when i have enough cash
and keeping my sea hunter Mk 2 for the coast depending on what it turns up
or re invest into a better land model just have to see if i find anything good
i will keep you all posted on here if i do for you all to see
thanks again Adam.

Hi Gulf hunter
thank you for all your useful information
i will order some of the epoxy resin as my 8'' coil has no covering on it at the moment
i haven't tyred my unit on the beach yet but i will be soon have booked a weekend away at the coast
already arranged a detecting permit which was only

HI Chuck
thanks mate keeping everyones views in mind
going to give it a chance on the beach and see first if to keep it or not
else it may end up back on e.bay i cant really lose out as bought it so cheap anyway
will see maybe re invest in a different model considering the Garrett ace 250
as either a replacement or a second unit for inland
thanks again Adam

thanks a.j
yeah hopefully it should pay for itself soon as it didn't really cost me that much anyway :)
got a weekend break to the beach coming up shortly to test drive it out
plenty of Victorian history there so hopefully should find some reasonable goodies
going to take your advice soon and invest in a Ace 250 for inland
have looked into it and looks a really good unit at a very reasonable price over here at

[quote coxy34]
invest in a Ace 250 for inland
:beers:[/quote]

Perfect plan. I love my MKII and it does exactly what it's supposed to in the salt. I use a BH Tracker IV for my dirt play, it works awesome and it's light enough to swing all day. I've heard nothing but good things about the 250s. Just remember to give yourself enough practice to learn your machine's quirks. Starting with PI machine (unless you're nugget shooting) can be a grueling intro to treasure hunting. I always let friends borrow the tracker if they want to give hunting a shot. A PI machine and a bag of iron scraps is way too discouraging.

However, when you get out in the surf where no one else is hunting, the MKII is going to shine for ya. Happy hunting!

You are welcome coxy. I think the ACE will be good for the appliacation you described. I have also owned 3 of them, as well. Great unit, but I hate hunting out of the water and only hit the wetsand, when the seas are too tubulent or too quiet(targetwise). There is way too much information to teach you, so I will point you in the right direction for knowledge. Thankfully, there are a few VERY skilled water hunters, who have been gracious enough to share their experiences. I would HIGHLY recommend the following publications....."Water Hunting":Secrets of the Pros, by Clive James Clynick (cjc) and Advanced Water Working Techniques, by Andy Sabisch. Read them, reread them and read them again. You'll be better for it mate, best of luck to ya!