Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SE vs DFX300 vs CZ-3D

Hello, all -

This is my first post on this website after observing the posts for a week or so. I have been MDing on and off for approximately 35 years, and have owned so far Garrett, Compass, and White's equipment. My current unit, the White's Eagle Spectrum, has served me well for about 10 years, with no problems except the backlight dying ($80 to replace the display). But I have seen quite a huge increase in the abilities of current MDs to greatly outperform the Spectrum (especially in detection depth), and am looking to purchase one of the three detectors above. Due to the cost of these units, I would greatly appreciate any input you could provide to help me make my decision, especially when it appears that most experienced users have hunted with many brands. My interest is mainly in looking for old coins inland. I do not have any particular manufacturer allegiance - just looking for a reliable coin-killer. Thanks a bunch. JW

I have not used any of the above machines, but... I had a friend who really gave the DFX a shot for a year or two. He finally gave up trying to get the performance out of it that it was suppose to get. He purchased an Explorer and has been happy he did. I now have a new hunting partner who is using the DFX and is determined to get to know his machine.

Here is the biggest difference between the DFX and the Explorer. The Explorer has a few settings that you will change to your liking, you will change the sensitivity as needed - that is it - the thing performs and goes deep. The DFX, from my experience listening to users, has so many do-dads to adjust that the variables are infinite! The user is always questioning weather or not it is set to produce the optimum depth, etc. It is sort of like they are always trying to get more depth, where as the Explorer fires right up with optimum performance and you know that.

JMHO, hope it helps, HH - BF

PS Am I out of line here?

It might just be me but I gave the DFX a year and eight months and then bought the SE first few times out it seamed strange to me. I would take both with me and go back to the DFX because i knew it well only learned the SE when I started leaving the DFX home! The SE is killer and to me the whole menu and setup is straight ahead it is a keeper, Oh the DFX is gone. TOM

It really is a matter of weight, if you can deal with the Explorer's weight, it's the best coin machine period. I have thought about getting a DFX as well as my SE's, but Big Fang is right, the DFX is a tweaker's dream and a part time users nightmare. Since I wouldn't be using the DFX exclusively, I probably would never get to the point of mastery necessary for it to compete with the Explorer's abilities. One real point though is the ability to come to this site with your Explorer questions and learn to master that machine quicker, I don't know if the DFX site has as many knowledgeable and willing to help, DFX users. The guys here are tops.:thumbup:

Bottom line, SE is heavier than the DFX, easier to master and you need to swing it slower but it will get the deeper targets. DFX is lighter, cheaper and excellent over the top 5-6 inches of soil for gold jewellery and target separation, use the SE if you need to go deeper.

Minelab are now including a new coil as part of the standard package, it's called the 'SE Pro' series which goes even deeper than the standard stock SE coil. I've posted a link to a uk site so you can see the new coil attached, it's tech is based on the Nexus detector coils that are unsurpassed over any detector.

http://www.joanallen.co.uk/a_moreinfo_explorer_uk.html

If you have the cash, I'd lean towards the new SE Pro, otherwise it would be the DFX and at least 48 hours reading the manual and additional add on books.

Having said that, Whites are rumoured to be bringing out a new detector to replace the DFX as it's getting a bit long in the tooth but then again those rumours have been around for years.

PS. If you have money to burn, have a look at the Ultima from Nexus http://www.nexusdetectors.com/Ultima.html

Set

One of the best coin shooters there is and the easiest to use. Very little learning curve, four tone ID, excellent beach machine with a salt mode that works. And you might find one on the classified at a reasonable price.----Wade

I use both. No doubt the SE is deeper and great for silver. The DFX for me is best for rings and can clean a trashy area much better than the SE. The DFX is lighter, BUT... really hurt my elbow and the SE doesnt, go figure. The DFX does leave you wondering if you left targets, i havent had that feeling with the SE simply becaue i can move slower. DFX is easier with the trigger and bars to pinpoint, VDI dont bounce as much, and its recovery adjustment is better. The SE seems to grab a good target better, but that does make it null longer. You can hunt with others because you can noise cancel with the SE.... dont try that with the DFX because it hates EMI.

Thank you very much for your input to my query. I am wavering between the SE and the 3D, probably leaning more heavily toward the ML. I agree with Digitrich that the Minelab "family" appears to be tighter, and more willing to help the inexperienced user or those needing assistance/opinions, than the other manufacturer forums here. I do wish that the SE had the trigger pinpoint feature that the Whites carry, but if the SE's PP is reliable and accurate, I am willing to learn a different technique. Would the use of a Sunray X-1 on the SE make this a moot consideration? Just a thought. Thanks again for sharing your know how - I hope to purchase my unit sometime this week. I hope your holiday hunting is successful. JW

The SE pinpoint is great when you're not in trash. I'm finding it (3 months use) pretty useless in heavy trash area but doing pretty well with just pinpointing in normal mode. Pinpoint mode will "suck" towards the largest target nearby--sometimes a good ways past the outside of the coil. In normal mode, pinpointing is normally spot on unless it's a nail, the edge of iron, or some such.

The X-1 will reach about 3-4" most of the time so is good for surface targets (which can get confusing at times) but won't help you below that until you get some dirt removed.

I ordered the SE yesterday, and should be receiving the unit on Monday. Kellyco had a special running, which included a 5-inch Excelerator coil with the purchase. Hopefully with the standard and 5-inch coils, I will have all the arrows needed in my quiver to hunt coins. Thanks again to all who assisted in my purchase decision. Take care, and good hunting. Johnny