Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SE and rain

Old Sox

I posted a couple of pics of some finds from yesterday in the Xterra forum by accident. I meant to post them here to get an answer to question I have with the SE and rain.

Question: I have a cover on the SE but I was worried about the battery compartment and the headphone jack so I put it up, can you hunt in a mild rain with just the cover?

Thanks for looking

well it seems to not bother MY machine but then i don't hunt in a down pour just light rain or drizzle and so far the cover seems to be all i have needed:cheers:

I've been in light rain a few times with no obvious problems. I never thought about the battery compartment at all. Does anyone know if they make a cover for it?

I always carry a plastic trash bag and when it rains I bag the machine, then detect by sound as I walk back to the truck. I even found a couple of silver quarters one afternoon. Really got soaked but kept the controls and battery compartment dry.

I took a plastic water bottle, cut the mouth off just big enough to fit over the battery compartment, loosen the arm rest and slid the water bottle over it. Tightened up the screw and it's held out for a couple years now. I even painted the inside black so it looks pretty okay!

KCK/Ohio

[quote bazooka]n/t[/quote] well let me ask this.....how important is keeping a very very expensive detector that is NOT a water machine dry??? depends on your wallet i guess:shrug:

[quote KCK]I took a plastic water bottle, cut the mouth off just big enough to fit over the battery compartment, loosen the arm rest and slid the water bottle over it. Tightened up the screw and it's held out for a couple years now. I even painted the inside black so it looks pretty okay![/quote]

Neat idea! Where do you run the headphone cord--out the top (now the bottom) of the bottle?

I have hunted in everything with my SE and never had a problem...YET. One thing to remember is the shafts are hollow, so if you get water in the lower shaft and point the coil to the sky; water could run the entire length of the shafts and into the control housing (you might hear a fat lady singing at that point); I am guessing. Seriously, I have hunted in pouring, laterally wind blowing rain and in the smashing surf of the ocean and have yet to kill a machine but there is always tomorrow. The rain jacket seems to work well, some guys wrap theirs in Zip lock bags. Just remember not to set the machine in your vehicle with the coil higher than the control housing and if you use your machine in corrosive salt water and/or air to rinse of the salt. Whatever that metal is that the five pin connectors are made of does not like salt. The battery compartment seems to be fairly water tight (good job ML).

What in the world is that stuff? Mind explaining it further?

I don't know anything about "bondage gear."

Charles (Upstate NY) modified this machine for me... It is, what it is... A waterproofed Explorer II mod...

JAB

Thanks for the pics!