Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SE and EX11 difference

KRS

I am interested in a Minelab detector, I see there are several for sale in different places as used. Which one would be the best choice each being A-1 condition and priced accordingly, all information will be greatly appreciated.....Thank you, Ken

Ken I never owned a XS but both the EX II and SE are great machines. My opinion only here but the Best buy you can afford would be my choice. The SE is a bit faster actually quite a bit faster on the processor but this is really not that much of a plus you should slow down and cover the ground anyway. The Se is a bit to sensitive at times with the stock coil. If you buy what y ou can find the best deal probally on a nice package you cant go to far wrong with any of them.
Grumpy
PS I think the book and learning curve is a bit easier on the SE just because they did a better job explaining it in the new book.

Is the new book you are writing about the owners manual or is there another new book out there we can get?

Woffie

I'm just starting with the SE but noticed that, as far as I can find so far, the manual is lacking in a description of how the noise cancel works. That confused me for a bit until I tested it. i.e., the arpeggio tones of the noise cancel that plays over and over until it's done calibrating. For a while there, it felt like my SE was possessed. I had no idea what was going on. (And if I held down the noise cancel--which was one of the things that I tried--I just got a useless help menu.)

I read through the II manual before I ended up buying the SE and my impression was that the II manual went into more depth than the SE manual does.

Thanks for the reply Rich. Does the noise cancel do its job after you let it go through its procedure? Does the coins tone ID or is everything the same tone? Ken
PS. Have you used the EX11?

[quote KRS]Does the noise cancel do its job after you let it go through its procedure?[/quote]

Yes, it does. Managed to get out yesterday--pond swimming beach where the top 2" was soft, then 3-4" of frozen solid--and let the noise cancel finish before I moved it. Seemed to work pretty well. As far as I can tell, and from what I've read, running through the different noise cancel settings may work a touch better.

Does the coins tone ID or is everything the same tone?

If I understand your question correctly, there are different tones for most everything unless you go into the settings and change it otherwise. I'm finding I like the ferrous setting since most of the areas I detect have a lot of iron. Still not sure on that yet but I suspect I'll stay on ferrous.

PS. Have you used the EX11?

No. I went from a Sovereign to the SE.

See which comes with more accessories, such as the X-1 probe and additional coils. Earlier this year I got a great deal on a used SE with the X1 and about 4 coils. Could almost sell the coils and have paid less than half for the SE. It depends on what fits in your budget but the SE is slightly faster, more sensitive and the VCO pinpointing is a must. With VCO pinpointing as you get closer to your target the volume and pitch go up which helps for faster recoveries. See James ND post (RE: Explorers) for differences between the machines.