Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scuff Shields

cactusjack

I did a search but nothing came up. How are scuff shields installed and or changed on Tesoro Coils. Do they just press on and hold by a friction fit or do you use some type of compound to hold them on. I assume they can be changed out or they wouldn't sell them.
Thanks

seems to be suction more than anything as they fit tightly

Hi Cactusjack, after you get the hang of taking your coil cover off and on , be sure to clean it out pretty regularly, because you will be surprised at the amount of dirt etc. that will build up under it, and that will effect the performance of your detector.Some of them can be rather tight and hard to get off, and there are a number of ways to deal with learning how to remove the tight ones. A search on that will reveal a bunch of ways to remove them. There is a bunch to read up about coil covers pro & con if you are interested. Some use them , some don't. Depends a lot on where you hunt, and how you go about it. Big coils are usually already a bit heavy and shucking their covers can lighten the load and make the swing much easier. Just some suggestions. HH, Charlie

Unless your coil is made of some cheap crappy junk it takes a lot of swinging and friction to put a hole in a coil. Frankly, I don't bother with 'em.

As always, great feedback and information from this forum. Thanks to all!

oldcoon said:
Unless your coil is made of some cheap crappy junk it takes a lot of swinging and friction to put a hole in a coil. Frankly, I don't bother with 'em.

Coils cost $100 +, cover say about $10 - - - I'd drather wear out a cover than destroy a coil. - - - - - To get the most depth you should be skiming/dragging the coil in the grass/dirt/gravel/rock.

Doing that you can nick or crack a perfectly good coil destroying it ! > Tesoro has waterproof coils till the coil or cord is damaged.<

Coil covers are cheap very lite weight insurance for long coil life...............Its very easy to clip a rock/sidewalk/post while swinging, causing a coil failure in your future, maybe wreaking your MDing trip !

cactusjack,

My Super LOBO coil cover was a b**** to get off, but still the dirt got in............That caused falsing, so the machine was'nt working to its full potential. >>>> Take care of your machine & it takes care of you <<<<<

HaRM

On the flip side, I've had two coil covers that were too loose. A quick application of tub and shower caulk/adhesive fixes it and it's removable.

fowlercharles said:
Hi Cactusjack, after you get the hang of taking your coil cover off and on , be sure to clean it out pretty regularly, because you will be surprised at the amount of dirt etc. that will build up under it, and that will effect the performance of your detector.Some of them can be rather tight and hard to get off, and there are a number of ways to deal with learning how to remove the tight ones. A search on that will reveal a bunch of ways to remove them. There is a bunch to read up about coil covers pro & con if you are interested. Some use them , some don't. Depends a lot on where you hunt, and how you go about it. Big coils are usually already a bit heavy and shucking their covers can lighten the load and make the swing much easier. Just some suggestions. HH, Charlie

The Tesoro coil covers fit tightly, I cracked one slightly removing it once, if they are too tight one can use a fine sandpaper (600 grit) on the inside edges of the coil cover and remove a bit of plastic. I also took a block of parafin wax and rubbed the inside edge as a lubricant. Considering that coil covers come with the Tesoros and the relatively cheap price I opt to use them.

For those tight fitting coil covers, I will snip out a small 1/2" section of the coil cover lip at the 6 o'clock position. This allows easy removal with your finger. The coil is still fully protected.

Tony.

Thanks for all of the help. I removed all of the scuff covers and wow there was a lot of dirt in most of them. The spider covers take some real diligence and patience to remove. The standard round coils came off a bit easier. Cleaned covers and coils. Now I am ready to get them dirty again. Just need a break in the heat and some rain to soften the south Texas soil.
Thanks to all that contributed.