Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

scorpion stinger

jerry-nebraska

I am new to metal detecting and considering purchasing a scorpion stinger is there anyone out there that is familiar with the machine and what is the learning curve like or am I wasting my $, should I just get a Ace 250?

I only can speak for the 250, but its a great starter and all around detector. lightweight, ergonomic and fairly simple to use. if you have a hobby shop near by, go ask ask to see and feel what they have. my local shop had the garrett line and they even rent them for $25 a day for those wanting to try them or those just needing one to locate a lost item.

If you're brand new I'd get the 250. The Scorpion is a gold detector among other things and has a learning curve. Do you plan on hunting gold or coins, jewelry, etc. ?

Bill

Welcome, and get the Garrett Ace 250 I'm a newbie too and I just started last Sunday and look below for my total # of finds, Its very user friendly too. Just turn it on and go...:detecting:

If you plan on hitting the gold fields, yes by all means get one. If you plan to shlep around in parks and schools with it, no way. I've been using a GoldStinger for the past few months and have done quite well with it but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a newbie. They are pretty chattery and might be more than you would want to tackle, just starting off. If you aren't good at x-ing your target in, you will end up with holes the size of your hat as there is no pinpoint button on them like with the 250. I'm still learning on this machine and have yet to manual ground balance it and run in all metal. If I ever get to a good relic spot, I probably will. I have dug up deep targets with it, running in Auto Ground Balance Disc mode. Pretty deadly on any of your low conductivity stuff, like gold rings and medallions and old buttons but you have to dig a lot of trash with it. Get yourself a 250, 1350, 1500 and learn to hunt with it first. JMHO