Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scored a merc in the bottom of the ninth

MONKOO8

Hey Everyone.
Hope to keep it short and to the point.......but you know.

Tuesday my buddy called and wanted to revisit the park that he found a small silver ring and I scored the war nick and rosie the past weekend. He was feeling it and sniffed out a forties merc.

Wednesday, was on my way to work and saw a dude painting this small house that I've had my eye on. Turned around and asked, he was the owner and gave permission.
Didn't find anything good. A "No Cash Value " token was about it.

Friday had very little time and visited the apartment house across the street for the third time. The first two times scored silver. This time not so lucky.

Saturday returned to the hot spot thats been good to me as of late. This time out, cold.

Sunday morning I found myself at a playfield that was not the original....no game here. Did a bit of scouting with a guy walking track. Didn't get all the correct information from him. So lucky for me another fellow showed up to walk his dog.(this while I was brainstorming the map ready to blindly swing.) This gentleman knew a lot about the neighborhood. I asked the right questions and got a good report.
Twenty minutes later I arrived at this little old square baseball field that was situated in the middle of all these new buildings and recent construction. It was the only original looking patch of dirt around. Everything else had been altered and built on top of. With my first glimpse there definitely was a nostalgic moment of times gone by. I could almost see the kids playing catch warming up all Field of Dreams like. I'm not a big baseball fan but I have a lot of respect for what the game used to be. America's original pastime.
Play Ball!
I grabbed my trusty Garrett 2500 bat and started swinging and the coins started dingin'. Headed towards the plate as usual and near what was the first base line hit a wheat....A little further up the line another hit wheat. Then I walked by the first base coach's box and managed one more wheat. All good signs. The first coins that I hit were all about an inch or two. Every wheat was about five inches and dingin' clear. No coins in between.
Was doing the long walk up and down the first base outfield line with nothing but swings and misses. The game was winding down and I had yet to score a homer. Decided to work the area where I managed to hit the first two wheats. It was like the ball was moving in slow motion. Got a base hit with another wheat. A couple of foul balls later hit another wheat then a double with a back to back wheat which made six. The last was a 1955 D no double die.... (I always hold my breath when i see that 55 on a wheat.) With three on base and the game near an end I just knew there had to be a big hit soon. Patience and persistance pays off in most endeavors. With a full count, finally a good dime pitch. I popped a ball of mud, it cracked open and out flys a Winged Liberty Head.....game over.....Enjoy the pics and Happy Hunting!
[attachment 139465 001.JPG] [attachment 139466 017.JPG] [attachment 139467 023.JPG]

Hope you find a merc soon Graw!
Here, every silver coin found is exciting and fun.
Exciting to find and fun to 'storm a story to remember.

Alright!:clapping:Congrats on the Wheaties and Merc:beers:Great story! :thumbup:Thanks for sharing!:wiggle: Happy Hunting!:)

Awesome hunt WTG monk sweet merc. Also waiting to find my first!!:thumbup:

The Winged Liberty Head "Mercury" dime is one my top three favorite American coins. I like the Benjamin Franklin Half (the Dude was of an American daVinci ilk) and also like......
who am i kidding.......I like all the oldies, (wreaths, malnurished eagles and all)
Hope You All find that first Merc soon!