Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scoop suggestions please

pdunc

I have some specific desires for what I want in a scoop and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions. First of all, I already have a Sunspot Stealth. Well built and great in the sand, but I am having trouble with it twisting and not biting in well in the rocky/gravelly bottom of many of our Maine lakes. It seems to dig in a couple of inches or so, then just scrapes along at that depth, requiring a number of more digs before it gets any depth. Also, because of the 1/2" holes, many small gravelly rocks and shells stay in the basket when I bring it to the surface. I have chosen not to get the Nuttall scoop partly because of the 1/2" holes, but also because I have been told that it is difficult to use because of how accurate your pinpointing has to be. So what I'd like to find is a stainless scoop that is at least 6" in diameter, has plenty of 5/8" holes, and is a reasonable weight. I'm not quite sure what reasonable is, but I will be using the scoop for many hours at a time and I know that a heavy scoop will seem to get heavier with each load you bring up. So far, the closest I have come to my desired scoop is the RTG stainless "Monster" scoop, but I'm unsure how much of a problem that 7lbs would be over 5-7 hours of use. Anyone have any experience with this scoop, or have any other suggestions you could give me? I'm 55, 6' tall, and weigh 195 lbs. if that helps. I really doubt that aluminum would hold up well in the type of digging I've described, but would consider it if someone made a compelling case. Thanks.

Have a look at Nuttall enterprises. You hear it more commonly refered to as a Diamond Head scoop. I bought one and I love it. It really goes through the wet stuff quickly and it drains well. I also like the encapsulated fiberglass handle. If floats when you let go of it in the water.

The fact that this forum scrambles the names of people who dont advertise here is annoying. Does this forum exist to promote the exchange of knowledge between detectorists or as one big commercial for those who are advertising?

Dig said:
The fact that this forum scrambles the names of people who dont advertise here is annoying. Does this forum exist to promote the exchange of knowledge between detectorists or as one big commercial for those who are advertising?

These sites cost money to run and they need sponsors to help defray their costs why should they allow links to non-sponsors?

speaking of scoops you told me whites pi's dig deep u r right i broke my scoop digging a nail 2ft down but i think i cracked the handle when i dug a ring 2ft down in the wet sand lololol.
I love this PI md i dig it all they call me the human vaccume lololol
Thanks again

fieldboy se va

so go for the 6inch SS.
It's unfortunate you listen to someone who can't PP in water. I have NO problems doing so, then again, I joined a Club early on and learned.:thumbup:

Giving advice is fine and it can be done without posting links.. posting a link to a non-sponsor is advertising and has nothing to do with advice.

One of the sponsors of this very page is a scoop manufacture. Do you think it's proper to advertise the competition's wares on the sponsors web page ?

Either way, Finds does not allow links to non sponsoring commercial pages. They will be deleted.

Sorry folks, I did not mean to cause a stir by naming specific brands. It's not my intention to advertise for anyone or cause anyone grief. There are many well made scoops out there by several manufacturers, all fulfilling individuals specific needs. I'm just trying to be as specific as possible with my desires for what I want in a scoop and and do not want to pay big bucks for the wrong one. If anyone cares to, I would appreciate it if they would PM me with their recommendations. And by the way, I believe it is the right of the forum administrator to limit conversations on forums regarding specific items that a sponsor is advertising, just as it is an individuals right to not use that forum if they choose not to. The administrators are paying for the maintenance of the site. However, it would be better if the sponsor were contacted and asked how they feel about comparisons being discussed on the forum. I believe that a sponsor who is confident with their product would likely not mind a reasonable discussion, but one that is not overtly advertising.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/longhand.htm

Being fairly new to the forum, I did not realize that that was the policy. I apologize for any misunderstandings. I only found it frustrating to not be able to share what I have learned.

miller scoops are the best and dont be fooled by the copy cat?! MILLER SCOOPS ARE TOP OF THE LINE THEY WILL DIG THROUGH AND WONT TWIST ! THATS WHY I WILL PAY TOP DOLLAR FOR ONE TO COPY!!!!

im with jw. i have the one piece all alluminum, i wouldn't think twice about running over the handle with my truck

I hate to probably beat a dead horse, but I am totally in agreement with DIG on this one. I join forums to get reliable information on what the forum is about. I am on numerous photography forums, as I am also a photographer. I have never heard of not being able to recommend products, services, or place links to them on other forums used for educationg and promoting a hobby or profession. I understand sponsorship, but they should also understand competition. If their product doesn't stand up to what others are recommending or commenting on, then they should update / switch / or change price of their stuff to compete. I would be very upset, if there was something out there that would work better and cost less and it was not shared by my fellow MD people, just because it's not a sponsored item. I believe it's only the professional thing to do, to help out our fellow MD people, even if it means recommending a non sponsored product.

End rant, just my 2 cents.

Mike

I AM SORRY FOR DOING ANYTHING WRONG HERE OK ,REALLY I AM IF I DID SOMETHING WRONG ON THE FORUM PLEASE DONT KICK ME OFF I AM NEW TO THE FORUM THING I REALLY DONT KNOW THE RULES AND HAVENT READ THEM I MEAN NO OFFENCE TO ANY ONE REALLY I AM JUST LOOKING FOR A MILLER SCOOP AND REALLY LIKE THEM . I DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY I DONT WANT TO AFFEND ANYONE OR MAKE YOU MADD! TROY HAVE A GREATDAY

OK, I really need to know what is the best scoop for digging with one hand in chest deep water and using my foot to push the scoop down into the sand. If you know of something and it's not a sponsored product message me. I still have not been able to find the Miller scoops.

Here's mine, ya looter! Nobody seems to like it very much though??? I handed it to Mike in Texas on the seawall and he almost fell off the wall, LOL! it weighs 11lbs and I like it, because it does not break or bend. It is ALSO a formidable midevil weapon, as well should some unscrupulous outlaws care to tangle with the Gulf Hunter, savvy?
[attachment 95519 scoop1.JPG]
Also including the inside of the bucket, to show how to wire, to where the tiny targets do not fall through the holes.
[attachment 95520 scoopbucket.JPG]
Also included a roll of our wire mesh we use to line the bottom of the bucket. Hope you get one lighter mate, LOL!
[attachment 95521 scoopwire.JPG]

Here's my version, like Gulfhunter's this one is also heavy and does well. Notice the magnet at the bottom.

Mynah