Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scituate Mass. Finale..... North Scituate/Minot Beach..ALL FOUR OF RON'S PICTURE POSTS-MERGED

Ron J

[attachment 68360 CG149.jpg] Scanning on Craiglist,as i do every day,looking for a bargain on a car, boat, or collectible led me to the South Shore,(south of Boston) today. Being an area facing the Atlantic,such as Cape Cod,it is constantly fighting battles with the Sea,during storms. Its an area that still has operating Lighthouses,and had Live Saving Stations along its beaches. My interests that drew me there were a threesome today. First i wanted to eyeball a Buick, listed on Craigslist, 2nd, There was going to be the first Annual Nautical flea market at Quincy Bay Marina, Third, I knew from my Fathers service records,he was stationed in North Scituate Station,at Minot Beach between 1929 to 1933. So figured i would try to find the Station,if it were still there,or even a Marker for the sight? Sounded like it could be a grand slam! Was awake at 5:30,so waste no time, flew to Quincy Bay to find exact location of the flea market,knowing it would be to early,listed as 9:00 opening. I found the location,being early,i headed to Norwell to eyeball the Buick. It was still only like 7:00 ,so continued to Scituate. Entering the Harbor area,the first thing in my face,was a Lighthouse in the distance! Here i come!! After driving along the road,it ended at the Old Scituate Light,at the mouth of the harbor. Beautiful area! Don't know how i ever missed this before? And better yet,across the mouth was an older looking Coast Guard Station! Here is the Light,with Keepers House attached. I believe the House was connected in this manner,to protect the keeper if he needed to repair the Light during a Nor'easter,he didn't need to fight the weather. A common practice,back a hundred years! [attachment 68359 CG107.jpg] [attachment 68369 CG116.jpg] The upper light area is made of copper! [attachment 68370 CG114.jpg] Here is the front view...[attachment 68371 CG121.jpg] As you can see, rocks are constantly being moved,from the waves..[attachment 68372 CG122.jpg] Rj

After leaving the Lighthouse,i cruised thru the little shopping area,untill i found the road,i thought would take me to the old C.G. Station. Drove over an older wooden planked bridge,and could see the building on the water,finally i came to the office or past residence of the Station.Standard of most C.G.Stations..White with Red roof, for standing out,to be seen. It has one of the largest flagpoles i have seen,in a long time.[attachment 68373 CG134.jpg] Here is a postcard from the twenties,or thirties,that i didn't realize i had till tonight. [attachment 68374 ScannedImage-6.jpg] The property now belongs to the Stellwagen Banks National Marine Sanctuary. Stellwagen Banks is well known for fishing,and Whales [attachment 68375 CG135.jpg] The building on pilings,the boathouse,is at the end of the street,a few hundred yards down. You can see across the Harbor from this side,is the Lighthouse. I don't know if my Father was stationed here.His records state North Scituate.I think both locations were in use,at the same time,so i would be willing to bet,he had been in/out of this location. Only wish he were here to clue me in! Rj

Also, for some reason, I think that I read where some folks buy the old lighthouses and convert them to homes...is this true? That area looks like it could really get cold during the winter. Thanks for posting the pictures and story...I am now going to read the next part. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Leaving the C.G. Station, i almost drove right past this little building...It has considerable importance to The Life Saving Service,and the Coast Guard. The Humane Society,was a volunteer group of people, who felt with all the Shipwrecks along the East coast of the U.S., something needed to be done to help the survivors. In the mid 1800's they set up buildings like this, along the coast,supplying them with food,blankets etc., for lost souls who may have made it ashore, later with volunteers,and equipment to rescue survivors. This of course eventually turned into the U.S. Coast Guard. There are only a hanfull of these buildings left,and i had no idea it had been saved. [attachment 68379 CG136.jpg] [attachment 68380 CG138.jpg] [attachment 68381 CG139.jpg] Here is the C.G. building being used now...NO Charactor at all! [attachment 68382 CG143.jpg] [attachment 68383 CG142.jpg] Rj

I see what appears to be two overhead doors. I assume that the boats enter and leave from the two overhead doors? If so, how do they get the boats over the rails, and lowered to the ground? I apologize for appearing so stupid, but if I was not interested I would not be asking the question. Thanks for posting these pictures, I always like to see them along with the story about them. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Evidently, Texas has never had very many light houses. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/tx.htm

By now it was getting to be ten or so, but i still wanted to see if i could find the location of the North Scituate Life Saving Station / Minot Beach, as listed on Dads service record. I asked a woman who was riding her bicycle,if she was a local,and may have known of it. She didn't,but mentioned the C.G. Station only. I drove up the road,where she had pointed out North Scituate,along the beach. Alot of the houses here are built on pilings on both sides of the road. Most get destroyed during major storms,but they keep rebuilding! Thats why i pay 1500 dollars a year,just for "flood insurance", To help the gov't rebuild area's like this. I would want to rebuild,so i don't blame the people. It is a beautiful area! Wide open Atlantic pounding on your door! [attachment 68387 CG124.jpg][attachment 68388 CG125.jpg]You can see Minots Ledge Light,way off in the distance. The beach road came to an end, still no signs of what i was searching for,so i turned around,and headed back,the only way in/out. Didn't see any signs of "Minot Beach" the town or village. Turns out it is part of North Scituate,but with its own Zip Code! Here is what i also almost missed..[attachment 68384 CG146.jpg] [attachment 68385 CG145.jpg] I was running out of time ,curiosity was getting to me,as to what i may be missing at that Nautical Flea Market,i was missing. At least i got the pic of the Minot Beach PO. Dads records show his family lived in Minot Beach, address not North Scituate. I will need to do more homework,to find the exact location of the Life Station. Before leaving the area,i noticed this house...White with Red roof? With a standard looking flagpole that a Station would have? Could it have been the location? Will check it out soon i hope. [attachment 68386 CG148.jpg] I now wanted to go eyeball the Buick,i had came to see,but the lure of the Flea Market,got to me. I headed back to Quincy. I did go, but as i kind of figured,only a dozen vendors. I went in anyway,got to eyeball some real good stuff,but too pricey. Did manage to purchase some braided line,a new bow light for the Pontoon, and a large Code Flag set for a decent price. Best of all, for the trip,got to see the sights,and pictures! All this,and home by 1:00. I will be returning!! Rj

common,to have large doors,front and rear,on alot of Stations i have seen. I couldn't get to the rear,but usually there is graded wooden ramps,or tracks going down to the water.. Stations built on beaches,may have had a horse to pull the boat on wheels,if they were lucky.

That house with the flag pole looks like it could have been a station at one time. Let us know if you locate where your Father was stationed. Thanks for posting this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Your photos always remind me that i am forgetting my camera way too much.
Thanks for the trip:)

or maybe noticed, the little house connected to the lighthouse in that way. It looks like it was added a little at a time. Makes sense though.

Nice pictures!!

I don't know if any are in operation but many are open for tours. There is not much room in many of those lighthouses and the homes were pretty small. They are interesting to tour though

if I were just driving past. Interesting:thumbup: