Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Saturday was a real big day for our little TJ! :clapping:

Art SC

Our youngest son graduated from his Puppy Obedience Course after his final exams and big pet trick demo.

TJ broke the Puppy Class record for Down/Stay (just over 3 minutes before I released him). The requirement is for 15 seconds. He was also the ONLY puppy who excelled in "Leave It." TJ not only didn't take treats or even move when offered, enticed or called by others. So the trainer had me completely leave the training room after giving him his commands (I could still see him through the windows) and the trainer tried calling him and even threw food at him. He didn't flinch! Only Danny does this better than TJ (note: the trainer actually stuffed food INTO Danny's mouth but he spits it out if told to "Leave It" - All the trainers say Danny is the ONLY dog they've ever seen do that in ANY level of their classes). I had taught TJ and Danny this together so it must have just been reinforced with each other.

Anyway, he had to learn Sit, Down, Stay, Come, Walk on a Loose Leash and Leave It as well as learn and perform one Trick of his own. TJ not only mastered those, he also got Sit/Stay, Down/Stay, Wait, Heel, and automatic sits when stopped. What's more, TJ has already picked up MOST of the hand signals for these commands and can do them without me speaking...most of the time. At home, TJ also knows Potty, Go Lay Down, Up, Out and Off. pretty well.

The other puppys in TJ's class (all older than he) did Shaking Hands, Chase Tail, Speak and some of the little ones did Beg or Dance and Catch a Ball.

For OUR trick we decided to be a little risky and combine several commands in a string plus a little trick he picked up on his own that I just made a command for so it would all looked more "polished". I was pretty nervous as we'd never practiced it ALL together at one time before. Frankly, though...Shelley wasn't so impressed, because she already knew TJ could do all the stuff we planned and thought we should do something new like "Play Dead" or "Roll Over", which I'm working on with Danny right now.

Here's what TJ & I did to try and "wow 'em" (Needless to say, I was using all my old Cub Scout magician patter to fill in the gaps and crack jokes so that each even simple command seemed like some sort of big deal going on between TJ and I.):

The Circus Lion
1- Sit/Stay from across the room - "Ladies & Germs, introducing the great circus lion...TJ!"
2- Come when signalled with my hand to chest - "Here comes the King of beasts!"
3- Stop & wait on command in front of a low footstool we brought from home "Ahhh...His Highness is ready to ascend his throne!"
4- Sit in front of the footstool on my hand signal - "A drum roll...please!"
5- When I make a fierce looking "claw" with my left hand give the Up hand signal with my right and say, "You're a CIRCUS Lion!"
TJ has to climb Up onto the stool with both front paws and open his mouth and pant real big
(Note: this is the part TJ actually taught himself when he was smaller and couldn't see over Danny or Holly's backs when Shelley was sneaking food to them at the table...Shelley uses the stool to ease her backaches. We'd only tried to actually get him to do it a few times and only twice away from the table, so doing it "cold" in the class was really taking a chance since we WERE trying to "show off.")
6- At this point I say nothing but grab TJ lower jaw and nose gently and poke my face inside and then I blow softly. This makes TJ pull his head back and causes his tongue do "yucky" motions like there's a bad taste in his mouth where upon he gets Off the stool and Sits.
7- I end it all by quickly standing back up and saying, - "As you can see THIS Circus Lion does not care for the taste of humans. Thank-YOU!!!" and take a bow before we go back to our place in class.

Well, the trick was a bigger hit than I could have imagined and even folks standing outside looking in the window applauded. I was VERY proud of TJ. Not half bad for a young puppy trying to fill old Jake's paws!

Well, graduation was over. Mommy had showed up just in time with the camera (Shelley had to baby sit Danny and Holly away from the class area) to take pictures. So when he got his Graduation Certificate the trainers made it out for BASIC Obedience rather than just his Puppy Obedience. This means he's now ready for Intermediate Obedience Training now and even start work for his AKC CGC (Canine Good Citizen) Award, which would allow him to volunteer in schools, hospitals or retirement homes that require it. Still a long way to go, but a real good start! :thumbup:

TJ - Distinguished Honor Graduate!
[attachment 7853 TJGradCloseFrame.jpg]

Now , perhaps you could help me with 3 jerk [uh, make that Jack] Russells that we own. :) They are obedient to the extent that they will tear after a rat or squirell..... other than that, forget it. :lol:

sunny skies

M

you obviously have an excellent bloodline and the right personality to work with, both your dog and yourself! :D Congrats :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Wayne

n/t

n/t

n/t

n/t

n/t

remain your best friend for the rest of his life. I am amazed at how much of a companion our belove pets become. Trudie is always by our side, and when the grandchildren are around, she goes into "protector mode". Always, always puts herself between them and the poo, the pond, or other dogs! She is a great pet, but just has a bottomless pit of an appetite!!

n/t