Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sand Shark Setting...

El Guapo

Good Day fellow detector enthusiasts! I broke my cherry yesterday with the new hobby of metal detecting. My first real find was a penny on the beach. Well any way my question is about the settings. It may sound like a dumb question, but the dumb question is the one you don't ask. "a teacher once told me that"...
All right now... "Threshold and Volume"
Your Mode switch is set, "VCO". Adjusting the threshold with the, "Threshold and Volume switch". That's understood.
Now what about the volume?
Is the, "VCO" mode just for threshold?
Once I set the threshold and change the mode to, "normal" am I good to go for volume?
I also keep the keep the Pulse Width in the 12 O'clock position.
I am keeping the hunting to the beach for now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the threshold pertains to both modes..normal and VCO.
I would make sure you have a nice threshold tone in either mode.
I only have been using the VCO mode as I like the response better than normal mode..
Most others seem to prefer this mode also.
Hope this helps answer your question.
Felix

I like VCO too, because it kind of grabs my attention. That said, I have found that the normal mode seems to let me hear faint (deep) targets just a little better when I'm really paying attention. Normal mode seems to draw out the length of the threshold rise a little more than what VCO mode does. Normal mode also gives just a little more expression of tone elongation and hollowness on the edges of the tone rise over an iron target. Elongated iron, like nails and hair pins, give a double blip along the long axis. If you can walk around the target and sweep it from all directions, that will let you hear the double blip. Getting to feel fairly confident about identifying iron junk lets me walk away from a few more targets that I would otherwise dig. There is always a risk of walking away from a good target ... but digging a lot of iron trash can get old too.

Volume; I run maximum most of the time in both VCO and normal modes. If the threshold gets too uneven or pulsing, I find that taking the volume down just a little off of maximum can smooth the threshold.
Enjoy the Sand Shark!
Cheers,
tvr

I tried both setting this morning in the water. Both seemed to work fine. No interesting finds today. I did finally see two other people with there metal detectors out in the water. These guys go out up to their necks.... There's alot of bull sharks around the beaches... I am not ready to be shark bait.... I only went as far as could reach with a small scoop that I made. My new one hasn't come in the mail yet. So I picked up a pitcher at Wally World and drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in it. It works fine for now until the new one comes.

Peace