Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sand scoop

e-train

i have a plastic container that nesquik came in. and i was wondering if it could turn into a beach scoop cause it has a handle and the shape of the bottle is pretty good. If you guys had any ideas or advice to help me any would be greatly appreciated. prices on scoops are a ton. i will post pics for you guys to see just follow the link my camera made the size to large to post directly on the site.

pictures

Well with that, you are going to funnel a lot of sand into a smaller opening. It may tend to plug up :yikes:
What you might do is cut the bottom out and Epoxy a piece of Plumbers cloth over the bottom on the inside. Buy a piece (it looks like screen) with small enough "holes" that dimes, or half-dimes, (depending on where you live), just won't slip through. (You got as much chance here in California of finding a half-dime as finding a diamond ring in a salt-shaker at McDonalds) Thats about what I did, only I used a Costco (all metal) 3 lb coffee can, and added a handle. Hey, good thinking! Good luck.

would a plastic container lose allot of support by drilling allot of holes in it? what i was thinking is make some sort of funnel system were sand goes out the bottom of some sort. and leave the sides hole free. i could not find a picture of what you are talking about. but i think i know the idea its like wire with square holes and i might have something similar if i could find it. if i cut the bottom and put that tape in how much epoxy should keep it together i don't want the thing to break on me. my closest beach is a little bit rocky. i would need it to withstand pebbles hitting the bottom. and when this is all done i Will post pictures of the scoop and were i found the container. and how it tests.

I'd make the hole in the bottom as large as possible but leave a lip large enough that Plumbers cloth won't slip through. I'd use lots of J.B. Quick and even though it's sets in 4 min, it takes 4 hours to completely cure. Don't mess with the finished device until it completely cures. Might do your job well.!

I wouldn't do anything, for a few days. You'll probably get some good ideas from others here. There's some really talented guys on Finds.

It works for me Etrain.

My wife uses this glue (hydrogenated oil) in her coffee. We buy it at Costco. It came ( they are now using a container without the handle) in the same container as the Nestles. It is my opinion that the container is worth more than the product they fill it with. I saw the same value in the container as you did. I have used it allot at Pismo beach.
It worked well before I added the steel extension ( I think I will change it to an aluminum extension and make it a little wider, the steel makes it lttle out of balance and top heavy) but the extension allows you to go deeper into the sand. I drilled 3/8 dia holes to drain the sand. They do not weaken the container in any way. Be sure and make a couple of cuts on the top edge above the handle and fold down the plastic (about 1 or 2 inches wide). This will give you a comfortable place to rest your thumb as you scoop sand. I have collected about ten of these containers, thinking that they may not hold up under allot of use. However after using the original on for about six months, it shows no sign of failure.
I hope this will be helpful to you and others.

Hi bullpine, the main complaint I hear of these kinds of scoops is that the sand flows very slowly through the comparatively small holes. What do you think? e-train, the best scoop I've seen on this forum is the one by cupajo. You might incorporate some ideas from his listing too. Again, good luck.

i am going to try and think over some ideas first. i had some of the metal wire stuff somewhere that has those holes. cupajo did have a good scoop but i don't think i have the tools to cut metal like he did. i was thinking about drilling holes but not sure yet. the plastic container is great for building one. it has a handle already you just have to come up with an idea put it to good use.

one thing is for sure that i want to find a way to have it drain quicker. how does it drain for you bullpine?

what do you guys think about this sand scoop there is a video and the maker tells you how to build it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnRVnONTpOI