Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Samuel Huntington Birthplace. 1731 to 1796

George-CT

Got out this afternoon on the bike. 75 degrees, 40 mph wind gust, but still enjoyable. This is a historic home about 5 miles fro me on the way to the dirt bike club. They are in the process of restoring the inside so its not open at the time, but you can still go on the grounds. When they get the inside done, I will get shots of that. I did look in the windows and the home is all pegged wooden beams, and they have a lot of the original furnishings in there. Should be nice when done. In the next to last picture thats just a little home across the street and the keep and eye on the old homestead, real nice people. Here is a little history on it.

The Birthplace of Samuel Huntington

The Huntington Homestead in Scotland, Connecticut, is the birthplace of Samuel Huntington, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and a distinguished statesman during the Revolutionary War and early Republic. The remarkably well-preserved site includes an eighteenth century house on its original foundation surrounded by acres of farmland, bordered by Merrick Brook. It includes old-growth trees, stone walls, an abandoned road, and other interesting features. The Huntington Homestead is a surprising discovery so late in the twentieth century, when most historic sites have already been enshrined or ravaged. It is a National Historic Landmark. The Huntington Homestead is open to visitors May through October.

The Governor Samuel Huntington Trust, Inc. is the owner of the Huntington Homestead. The Kimball family, who had owned the property for 72 years, sold the historic farm to the Town of Scotland in 1994. The Town agreed to grant a two-year lease with an option to buy to interested local residents. Shortly thereafter, a grassroots effort to save the property for posterity was undertaken by dedicated volunteers who formed a nonprofit corporation named The Governor Samuel Huntington Trust. In July of 1996, the Trust purchased the property from the town and began its history as a museum organization.

Scotland, Connecticut is located in the heart of Quinebaug and Shetucket Rivers Valley National Heritage Corridor, an affiliate unit of the National Park Service. Connecticut Routes 14 and 97, both very scenic in character, transect Scotland. The Huntington Homestead is minutes from I-395 in Norwich, and lies within two hours of Boston and three hours of New York. Residents and tourists from New England and beyond will enjoy the surprise of discovery upon reaching the Huntington Homestead, a "best kept secret" in American history.

Samuel Huntington

1731-1796

Representing Connecticut at the Continental Congress
Huntington
by Ole Erekson, Engraver, c1876, Library of Congress
Born: July 3, 1731
Birthplace: Windham, Connecticut
Education: Self-taught (Lawyer)
Work: Admitted to the Bar of Connecticut, 1754; King's attorney, tax collector, town-meeting moderator, justice of the peace, Norwich Connecticut; Appointed to the Superior court, 1773; Elected to provincial Upper House of Assembly, appointed to the Council of Safety, Delegate to the Continental Congress, 1776...; President of the Continental Congress, 1779-81; Lieutenant Governor and Chief judge of Superior Court of Connecticut, 1784-86; Governor of Connecticut, 1786-1796.
Died: January 5, 1796

Samuel Huntington was one of the several maverick public servants of his era, devoting nearly all of his life to public office. Self-taught, he gained admittance to the Bar of Connecticut at the age of 23, and was soon thereafter appointed King's attorney to the town of Norwich. He served many offices and duties there until 1773, when he was appointed to the superior Court of Connecticut. Huntington was a moderate, with a distinctly upper-class bent, but he became active with the Sons of Liberty in his state in 1774. He then choose a legislative course. Elected to Connecticut's Upper House of Assembly in 1776, he served on the Council of Safety, and was selected a delegate to the Continental Congress that year. He served two terms as President of the Congress during the important adoption of the Articles of Confederation. He was called home in 1784 when he was elected Lieutenant Governor if his state; an office that then included the duties of Chief judge of its Superior Court. In 1786 he was elected governor. He was very popular in the office and used his influence to develop roads and industry in the state. He was re-elected every term until his death 1796.

and well maintained...they are the type of houses that are on greeting cards. I love the stone fence and can just imagine the labor it took to make it. I know that some Texas cows would love to graze on the grass in that beautiful yard...so green and thick. Thanks for posting this story about Samuel Huntington and his home, very enjoyable. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

the camera in the saddle bags. I had plans to go to a different place but the wind was blowing a lot of junk out of the trees and it was doing a number on the eyes even with the windshield. This one was close by so I did it. But I have plenty more on the agenda. I know you like to see the big tree's and farm land and I know where there are some nice ones you might enjoy seeing. There were a lot of riders out today. I bet I met coming the other way, well over 150 bikes, all just cruising the back roads.

I enjoy seeing everyone else's terrain and surrounding's. We get used to it but for everyone else its different. Ct is mostly small farms and hilly terrain in this area. Very bony land, Bony means lots of rocks for stone walls. Thats about the only way to get ride of them.

Geo

If you folks have so many rocks, is there gold up there too? Yes, I do love the large trees that you folks have, as well as how green everything is...most of the grass down here is pale green for lack of abundance of water most of the time. The homes up there where you live are like the ones that I saw in the history books when I was a young boy. Yes, please do take some more pictures, I would love to see them.

I did not ride today, still tired from yesterday, but I have heard bikes all day long going up Nacogdoches Road a few blocks from us. Heck, you can even hear someone fart a half a block away. Your weather today sounds a lot like some of our winter weather, but we do get a couple of freezes at night every winter, had two or three this past winter. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

i really enjoy seeing the different areas and history. Used to do that with my road Bike also, just go snooping and never knew what interesting sights you would see.

I tried to find the house With Google Earth but could not pinpoint it for sure. It is not far from your homestead I see. That looks like some mighty pretty country you live in George

The ruts in the driveway are still there.. after over a century I would bet..

Excellent!!

fair winds

Mikie

been specks of it found and talk of a find in a old colbalt mind not far from here. I've never looked for it here myself as I don't know enough about it. Most of the surface stone here came with the glaciers. You would not believe the rocks up this way in the north east corner of CT. Nice land along the Connecticut River and very few rocks. But here, its not user friendly for farming, yet the old timers did and unbelievable job of making it work. We have BIG stone walls all over our property. Up to 9 foot wide in spots.....

Yes it is green here pretty good after the spring rains....so its a lush green. We get 2 hay cuttings here, sometimes 3. Again, most of the farms are small by anyone else's standards. Not to many over 3 hundred acres and most around a 100. Or they have even less land, but lease it from other people with usuable pastures. Most of the time they give you the hay, just so you will keep it cut. It don't take long for it to go back to woods. Around these parts there are lots of 2 to 6 acre plots hacked out of rocks or hardwoods, with a cart path leading to the next one...... Surprisingly, hunting here is pretty decent with the pastures and woods all mixed in. Good feed, plenty of cover and lots of protected land for them to get lost in when the hunting pressure gets heavy in Nov and Oct.

I'll get you some shots this week of a typical cow farm here around me. They really are pretty to look at this time of year.

Geo

in private hands is something.i'd bet the grounds haven't changed much since it was first built.i'd bet alot of interesting people have been down the lane to the house.