Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari tid

petew

I was testing coins,to see where they fell.A silver half reads 35,silver dimes 37,38.Does this sound right?

In the ground, all the silver (dimes, qtrs, rings, dangles, but no halves) I have found with my Safari has rung up a solid 39. I haven't air tested (or if I did, I've forgotten), so I cant speak to that. Halves do fall lower conductively on the CTX, so it doesn't surprise me that it can read a bit lower in the air.

How did the tones sound? Were they the same. My fav trait of my Safari is that beautiful silver sound it makes.

Yes,I guess its true ,just gotta get someore time on this Machine.Seems to be a great coin slayer,and at the buy new price it better be.lol..
I didn't buy this one new,but a grand is alot of money for those who bought new.

I bought my Safari brand new because I didn't want any hidden anomalies/issue's on a used one. Mine has paid for it's self quite a few time's over so it was a great investment for me. When you do see a quality metal detector, whether it's a Minelab, White's, Garrett's etc; and the machines that have proven themselves in the field, they hold their value and regarding Safari's, you just don't see too many of them being offered for sale and when you do, they are way up there on the price, so that should tell you a lot about the quality and reliability. Again, the machine is only as good as the operator!!

When I shell out that kind of money, I definitely want new in case theres a problem. And like Goldstrike said, look around (like on ebay) and see how well quality machines hold their value. One of the reasons I bought a Safari after a decade+ away from the hobby was that I could easily get most of my money back if the hype didn't match the performance (mine also paid for itself pretty quickly. and I still have it as a loaner machine).

I bought my Safari new as well in September 2013. It has paid for itself in coins and jewelry for sure, but the non monetary value has to be considered as well. What a great way to spend a day or part of one out in the sun, fresh air, getting some exercise, and meeting people who are interested in your hobby. Taking good care of the machine will give you years of enjoyment. As far as the tid, dimes and quarters are 37 and 38, nickels 14-15, and pennies 34-36. Don't know why halves and silver dollars show as a 36. I love the tid in the 20s as it is usually something interesting and some times valuable. I have had mine for over two years and still learning. Have fun with it. You made a good decision on the Safari petew.

Ive had the Safari for 4 years. Generally, silver will ring up 38. However I have found that some times older silver (Barber and older) will ring up 36. 37 is almost always clad. The safari rarely varies by small amounts like you see with the CTX because of the slower processor. When metals are close together, the slower processor will read as one metal and throw the signal way off. Whereas the CTX will recognize the presence of two separate signals.

Prodigy, on your older silver at 36/37, did the Safari still sound off with its typical tone?

KinTN said:
Prodigy, on your older silver at 36/37, did the Safari still sound off with its typical tone?

Actually, it would sound off with the tone of a 38. Not the tone of a typical clad 36-37. Good point

However, the older coins are often deeper and TID #s are not as accurate. So maybe i just made the wrong connection. This would also explain why the tone was like silver (38-39), but the numbers were not (36-37).