Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari questions

petew

I'm reading alot about this Machine,and liking all I read.I actually have one in the mail,should be here Tuesday.
I had a few fbs already,and they're the best in my opinion. I just am not a tweaker,and saw no reason to keep the etrac.Although I have a 6x8 sef for the safari to use.
I saw something be posted about notching,I didn't know the safari had that feature,to notch out segments like the 705 does?
I'm pretty excited to get it,and another reason I am switching to safari over the other fbs units is weight.I read its lighter by a pound,that's huge plus for me.
The simple single digits are nice too,I always felt a little weird with the etrac,never knowing what perfect numbers to dig,whether iron or trash made the numbers change although it sounded good,bla bla bla.No question it was a good machine ,just too much fuss.
Hoping to make a few finds before Xmas,and post a few goodies.HH

Hello, I am not a regular on this forum... but maybe I should become one as it seems the Safari section needs some help.

To answer your question. Yes you can notch away with the Safari. Your 6 x 8 is an awesome coil on the Safari, and in my mind, the 10x12 SEF is the absolute best all around coil for the Safari.

15 with maybe a slight 14 or 16 are nickles. 34 to 36 = clad penny's. 36 to 38 = copper pennys, 37 to 38 dimes, solid 38 to slight 39 = quarters, 39 to slight 40... silver. I have never had a silver ring in at anything other than 39 although you will get the occasional odd piece of garbage ring in at a 39.

Thats with the 10x12 SEF. different coils and ground conditions can give slightly different numbers. A little stick time will tell you what the numbers a re going to be with your setup.

I run on Auto sensitivity, low trash, conductive sounds and display.

good luck with your Safari.

Petew.....I also hope you have lot's of fun with your new Safari as well! I can't add much to what banshee89 has shared but call me crazy but I detect almost everywhere in A.M. switching from conductive to ferrous! in HIGH sens. The cacophony of sounds does not bother me at all. Using those settings, I can swing a little faster (within reason) especially detecting beach's and know I am not missing anything. I will slow way down in high trashy areas and 'notch' out -10 to 6+ but leave the rest open. I rely more heavily on sounds but also look at the numbers as well. I ground balance periodically especially when the terrain changes. If I don't, nickel i.d. numbers (14 usually) go higher (15 and above as in pulltab i.d.#) and other target number's i.d.'s get skewed. The Safari is almost as simple as it get's without sacrificing accuracy,speed and depth and of course, the FBS sounds can sound like a 'symphony' when you get used to them lol!!!

Hi, Petew. I have read a lot of your posts on the other FBS forums. Like GS, I hunt in all metal most of the time and switch between ferrous and conductive modes. I hunt in ferrous and switch to conductivity to compare because it is easy to do. I like my 6x8 SEF in heavy trash and am thinking of getting a NEL Sharpshooter. The Safari is simple and a refreshing change from years of using a DFX. I never got the depth from the DFX that I get from the Safari. Enjoy the new toy.

Thanks Mark,I just got it today and I'm goin out tommorow. Seems like a very well built machine,minelab makes quality

Anyone have any inputs on how the Safari does on small gold on the beach? I'm looking for a detector to fill this niche.