Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari Beginner Need Help California

FarmerJ

I have just started with my Safari the last two days and seem to be a bit overwhelmed. I have found a men's gold ring and necklace but it was complete luck. Paid for most of the Safari with gold prices so high. I was told California soils are very high in mineral and are the most difficult for false signals. I pretty much am always in high trash areas and don't have relics were I hunt. Is the best way just put in the time and learn the sounds? Should I use the number ID's? Also do I really need a coil cover? Can anyone help me that knows northern Cali soils with my setting to help with the learning curve? I also should state that 95% of the time I will not be hunting beach or sand. Usually bark or heavy soil. Very grateful to all that can help. Thank you

Farmer J

Don't know anything about your soil, but I do use a Safari. Make yourself a test garden. Bury some coins and such where you can practice learning the sounds.

I listen for a high tone, then glance at the ID and decide to dig or not from there. I would start out in coin and jewelry and get use to the sounds.

I have been running mine in all metal mode lately, and have been finding smaller targets than before. I would keep the coil cover on unless you decide to cover it with bed liner material, which I did about a month ago.

Hope that helps.

Recommend the following

Research this forum and get a listing of coin numbers
realize that the numbers might vary based on different soils and mositure content

You already have a coil cover on your coil. Comes with the Safari, take a close look and keep it clean

Do build a test garden to learn your detector.

Wear headphones so you can concentrate on what you hear. If needed take a long some test coins to remind you of what to listen for.

Swing at moderate speed.

Noise cancel the detector every 1/2 hour or so. Conditions change...

Keep at it.. Practive and more practice and the sounds of the Safari will become second nature to you and you'll know what to dig.

Get a copy of Sabitch's book and read it....

Good luck and post some pics of your finds..

A thank you to both of you. When out for a few hour today. $1.67 LOL. 102 pennies including 4 Wheaties, 4 nickels, 1 dime, 1 quarter, 1 truck key, 4 pop tops, and 2 foil balls.