Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

S-1 Pobe on my GT?

I have had the Sunray probes before and like them. My only issue is getting up to hunt and going a ways before you realize you still have the switch in the probe position. Got my Eye on a Used one but know I need to be careful because there were some different versions and some may not work on the GT with the Meter. So I know there are some S-1 probe users on the forum.

So hear are my questions:

1. Any mounting tips or mounting issues I should be aware of.

2. What kind of Depth do you get with the Probe in Disc and in All Metal

3. Can you use it with the Pinpoint Mode on the GT

4. Any use tips that would help me get the most out of my S-1 Probe

Bryanna

If you go on Sun Ray's site you'll see two versions listed. I think the one is just for the Elite and GT and the other is for all older models. Not sure why the older ones wouldn't work on them and there are two models?. Maybe it's just the way they mount or something? I'm sure somebody like Ron will chime in and clear it all up for you. When they do I'll post that info in the accesseries sticky. I think there was at least a big box and smaller box version before because I remember some were modding the big box one down in size as I think it had a lot of dead air space in it that wasn't needed.

The Difference is the S-1 probe for the Elite and the GT as they are different than for the older Sovereign XS series. They all work the same, but the mounting is different as the ones for the Elite and GT the probe switching box sits on top of the shaft while the older Sovereigns sits on the bottom of the shaft. I am talking the stock shaft that comes on the GT/ Elite and older Sovereigns. The reason is that the meter sits on top of the probe switching box if using a meter on the GT and the Elite. If you are using a different shaft then things can be different, but being the the Elite and GT are made to sit on top of the shaft with the meter on top of it the wire that goes from the probe switching box to the meter is not very long. The older ones that sat under the shaft had longer wires to go to the meter.
The S-1 can be used in disc and all metal and use it both ways most every time as I hunt in disc and if it is surface target I get the general area and switch on the probe and us it to find the target. Now if it is deeper I will hunt in disc, switch to all metal pinpoint to get it right on and dig a plug and turn on the probe and use it in all metal, now if it was a iffy one and I get close to the target I can switch to disc and ID it as being iron or good target. The depth in all metal seems to be a little more than disc with the S-1 and would Say in disc a good 3-4 inches and all metal around a 1/2 inch more.
The S-1 is the best probe by far for the Sovereigns and it will cut down recovery time so you can hunt more every hour you hunt and find good targets others have missed.

Good Luck
Rick

Bry the S-1 search probe in most peoples opinion is the best there is for the Sov.GT it will find targets deep in the hole about 4 to 5 inches deeper then you dug the closer you get to the target the better the signal gets , it will work in AM Disc and Pin Point modes , i mounted mine mid shaft to get a good balance overall since i hip mount my unit depending on the coil used about mid way is ideal just below the hand grip , some people use Rons meter and you can mount that on top of the search probe or not there is many ways to mount it , also if you are goint to hip mount your GT unit make sure you ask for the 50" long wire on the S-1 to plug in to the Sov control box that will be hip or chest mounted . IMHO the S-1 has saved me lots of time searching targets it hasnt failed me yet great chose and search unit . I took a few pics of my set up hope this helps iam sure other people will add more and agree with me Good luck ..... by the way Ralph is a member of this forum and Mr. Big at Sun Ray always a great guy to deal with :detecting: Jim

Bryanna,the S-1 probe and Sovereign are a great combo.This S-1 probe is on of the earliest version big box.I cut the box in half, changed to one of my mounts to bring the box over the probe and closer to my trigger finger.All of these S-1 probes will work for any Sovereign.Sunray makes an excellent product.Hope this helps.Thanks Ron

Three to four inches is pretty good. More then enough. I have had one on a XLT, and Safari. I liked them but also like the ProPointer. As you know the ProPointer is a 2 inch at best - unless you use the coin trick. The one thing a Propointer will not do is tell you what is in the hole. I did find that useful at times since the closer you got the more accurate the ID. Sometimes the ID would change in a direction that told you were digging trash sometimes it told you where on the right track. The one I am looking at is USED so will have to see if she will fit if not can just drive to Sun Ray and buy one new. They are about three hours drive. But if the USED one is OK will be hard pressed not to get it.

Bryanna

Rick(ND) said:
The Difference is the S-1 probe for the Elite and the GT as they are different than for the older Sovereign XS series. They all work the same, but the mounting is different as the ones for the Elite and GT the probe switching box sits on top of the shaft while the older Sovereigns sits on the bottom of the shaft. I am talking the stock shaft that comes on the GT/ Elite and older Sovereigns. The reason is that the meter sits on top of the probe switching box if using a meter on the GT and the Elite. If you are using a different shaft then things can be different, but being the the Elite and GT are made to sit on top of the shaft with the meter on top of it the wire that goes from the probe switching box to the meter is not very long. The older ones that sat under the shaft had longer wires to go to the meter.
The S-1 can be used in disc and all metal and use it both ways most every time as I hunt in disc and if it is surface target I get the general area and switch on the probe and us it to find the target. Now if it is deeper I will hunt in disc, switch to all metal pinpoint to get it right on and dig a plug and turn on the probe and use it in all metal, now if it was a iffy one and I get close to the target I can switch to disc and ID it as being iron or good target. The depth in all metal seems to be a little more than disc with the S-1 and would Say in disc a good 3-4 inches and all metal around a 1/2 inch more.
The S-1 is the best probe by far for the Sovereigns and it will cut down recovery time so you can hunt more every hour you hunt and find good targets others have missed.

Good Luck
Rick